Python Woes :(

Helen

• Supporter

okay.. so being from australia, we are in non supply of pythons.

i've been on this site for 5+ years, but only in the past say year really active. got myself a 66 gallon tank a while ago and have been bucketing around my water changes.. yes, it's difficult...

for the past 2-3 years, i've been logging in and reading.. mainly to find how to get my hands on equipment to better the aquarium environment..

recently, seeing as the AUD is on par with the USD, i thought, why not take my chances and buy a python.. so myself and migaloo teamed up and purchased the items off ebay.. 2 x pythons and 2 by extensions. migaloo lives a great distance from me, and i received all the stock friday last week and forwarded her purchase to which she's only received today. she will not be testing until tomorrow..

here are my findings..

i read the instructions.. they say, make sure all the fittings are tight around the tubing so that intake of air or water spillage does not occur.. so before i use it, i make sure all this is AOK!..

then, attatch the brass unit to the spout of the tap and screw the pump on.. done!.

attach the hose to the pump.. done!

nowhere does it say turn the tap on full otherwise there's no suction, so for 4 hours i tried to get the suction working without the tap on and i was absolutely exhausted. i re ran the video clip that migaloo sent me and realized that the woman in the video turns her tap on full and walks away with the hose and siphon at hand. so i thought.. okay, i have to turn the tap on! done!

with the water flowing like a bat outta22 (australia currently has water restricitons in place for the past 4 years due to droughts even during winter time. we literally had NO rain for 2 years), i get the most weakest siphoning suction.. ie, poop only goes half way up the siphon and struggles to actually get to the tube!. i notice that a lot of the poop still remains in the tank as it can't make it up the siphon. there is also little distance from my kitchen sink to the tap.. here is a pic : distanceofsinktotank.jpg

so i don't know what's going on... if i can't get this thing to work and migaloo is not happy either, then we're sending them back..

i recall so many stories of how pythons have sucked up plants, fish and even suction so strong, gravel bits.. currently, i fail to see how this is possible.. i am very dissapointed in my purchase that i just wanna cry :(

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally do not leave the tap running (why waste the water?) but send mine right out my back door to drain..is that an option for you??I actually suck on the end a few times and run back to the tank where I have wedged my suctioning end up against the glass & corner so no one can get hurt :( Then I just flip the switch and move on to the next tank :) easy peasy :) imo :) hope this helps :)

Ok we have awful water pressure in our neighborhood cause of old pipes and lots of leaks around here. So for me I get mine going on the faucet(or just use my mouth and get is going) then unscrew it. Kink the hose so water wont get all over the place.

Then I take it out the door and down the steps and let it go. (only four steps do you don't need a huge incline but some does help the more the faster the water comes out.) Get much better suction that way. Also when I am done sometimes there is stuff just to heavy to get sucked out I just net that.

Then I hook it back up and put in the fresh water.

Maybe you can do that and see if that helps.

Opps what Shell said. lol

• Supporter

but this just defeats the purpose of the system though.. with the one hose fitting, direct to the sink to empty and refil.. why on earth did we pay $200AUD to get these things over when they're no better than our garden hoses + the $7AUD adapter? :doh11: the pump system was supposed to be stronger than our hose system.. but from what you all say, you guys basically do with the python what we do without the expense of python. i don't get it..

so in order to get a more affordable siphon suction, i need to void the pump and run the hose out the door with what you're saying which is what we (migaloo) were basically doing before the python. i can almost guarantee you that migaloo will not be impressed and possibly as dissapointed as what i am in this that we're most likely sending this back to the US.

The point is now you dont have to use buckets and can fill straight from the sink. I woudl never use a garden hose to fill a fish tank. With this you can adjust the water and not be putting in cold water from the garden hose.

• Supporter

there is a $7 attachment that i'd purchased from the hardware store that allows me to fit a garden hose or any hose to the kitchen sink for refills..

i was trying to kill two birds with one stone by buying the python.. empty and refill in the one system... but by what you guys say, the best way to use it is to run it out the door for maximum suction.. we can already do that here without the python.

Sorry you're disappointed with the new purchase :doh11: Sounds like it's about the same as the one you built, if you still have to siphon it out the door :idont None of them fit on my faucets at this end of the house, so until we replace plumbing fixtures, I consider my buckets to be part of my work out :flex:

I think the main problem is the expense for such a small flowrate, so it actually takes longer than with buckets...I have a hand-pump started siphon (no more getting a face full of fish water for me!) and a hardware bucket and I'm not particularly inclined to change it. It means I notice if the temp changes from the taps during refill and I don't flood the room tooo often forgetting the bucket's filling up :) It's also miles to the sink for a hose to reach.

• Supporter

yes, i just plug the siphon into one side of the hose and that's it.. it's good to go.. i am basically doing everything you guys do already minus the pump attachment to the sink tap..

to date, i was siphoning the water into 25 litre buckets and emptying the buckets down the sink.. as of tomorrow, i will go to guy a hose to fit on my siphon that is slightly lager in diameter and long enough to go out the door so that i don't have to cart buckets around.. with this, i essentially have a python without a pump..

the hose will cost $10AUD.. the attatchment cost $7 - the pythons with shipping cost myself and migaloo $200AUD

<br />there is a $7 attachment that i'd purchased from the hardware store that allows me to fit a garden hose or any hose to the kitchen sink for refills.. <br /><br />i was trying to kill two birds with one stone by buying the python.. empty and refill in the one system... but by what you guys say, the best way to use it is to run it out the door for maximum suction..??we can already do that here without the python.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

This is exactly what I do. I bought a garden hose and an adapter for the sink to fill my tanks - goldfish and tropical - while easily matching the temperature.

Sorry to hear about the Python issues, Helen. Wish I could help but I use the bucket method. I could never see Batman using a Python anyway.

Hope it works out for you and Migaloo.. :)

Send 'em back if that's an option for you.

• Supporter

yeah, it is.. we purchased via ebay and paypal... so it's a pretty secure transaction for satisfaction i guess. the bucket system is really starting to affect my back and i get really tired with it. so the hose out the door is the next step..

perhaps batman can fly over to AUS once a week and do the water changes for me? pork chop would be forever grateful ;)

Actually it sounds like the hose method is going to be your best bet. It really gets tough lugging those buckets around especially when it's a large volume water change. Luckily I don't have too far to carry them. Don't want to see you hurt your back when the hose system probably will do the trick and eliminate carrying the water.

I'll add your water changes to my agenda until you get your hose system set up... ;)

This sucks to hear. I was excited for you guys and your pythons :(

we have horrible water pressure here too but it is just enough to get it going. I've found a trick to using it without the suction from the tap but still gets it going. I put the one end in the tank and make sure there is only the air bubble in there and no more air can get in by anchoring it down with the tank lid. Then I sling the hose over my shoulder to get the air buble to go into the hose and then walk slowly towards the sink with the hose still on my shoulder and making sure the air bubble is at my shoulder as well. As soon as the hose begins to fill with water, I drop the hose and it continues on its own. This is my water saving method with no sucking on the hose :P. The suction seems to be as strong as the smaller siphons but the only drawback is that it takes forever if the tank is lower than the sink.

Hope you get it working :)

OMG,I LOVE MY PYTHON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Carrying buckets was THE WORST!!!!!!!!!! I hook mine up to my kitchen sink-and away we go! I wish there were more pressure from my sink-but what I do get,is enough to siphon up the poo and uneaten food. Hey Helen,have you tried 1hooking python to sink 2)shutting OFF(horizontal)the end nearest to the siphon(tank) 3)put the syphon end into the tank-and making sure water fills it 4)turn the water on as much as you can THEN 5) open up the siphon valve. It should start to siphon well. Try it.

• Supporter

susan, i have tried everything. the only thing that works is detatching it from the pump and just setting it out the door.. pretty pointless huh? considering a $10 hose does the same thing.. to refill, it works, but so does the $10 hose..

I've got to tell you-I was at Home Depot the other day and saw all their vinyl tubing and such-for CHEAP,and thought this is all a python is! It would be easy to make-and FARRRRRRRRRRR cheaper!!!

• Supporter

well you know, you're right..

there isn't anyone that's said that the suction of the python set up the way it's intended is better than the bucket system.. or even out the door system. so therefore, i see it pointless to own.. i understand how you all say "no buckets" and "i can't do without my python".. but it ain't the python you can't do without.. it's the hose!.. the hose stuck onto the syphon is what you're all "raving" about.. truth be known, the pump is useless!.. and that's the entire concept of the python.. so, why do we go and buy a useless item and pay so much for it? just for the hose? i don't get it.. i'm waiting for migaloo to test hers to see if she thinks it can help her.. otherwise, i would have sent mine back two days ago already.

well you know, you're right..

there isn't anyone that's said that the suction of the python set up the way it's intended is better than the bucket system.. or even out the door system. so therefore, i see it pointless to own.. i understand how you all say "no buckets" and "i can't do without my python".. but it ain't the python you can't do without.. it's the hose!.. the hose stuck onto the syphon is what you're all "raving" about.. truth be known, the pump is useless!.. and that's the entire concept of the python.. so, why do we go and buy a useless item and pay so much for it? just for the hose? i don't get it.. i'm waiting for migaloo to test hers to see if she thinks it can help her.. otherwise, i would have sent mine back two days ago already.

That's why I've never bought one. ;)

For me-it SAVES my back,not to mention,countless trips between the kitchen and the tank. Of course,when I had just 1 36g tank-it was not such a big deal-but we all know that was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy backnewfish.gifbingo.gifAs a matter of fact-I own 3 of them!ignore.gifignore.gif