I've Got A Few Questions :)

pinkskitty93

1.What are the stuff that's dangerous to fishes? I know that sharp objects are harmful but what are the other chemicals that are harmful?

Is glue(Elmer's glue brand) toxic to fishes? Is a small piece of wood safe to use in an aquarium? Is rubber safe inside an aquarium? (obviously rubber is not safe :glare: )

2.Is sand better than pebbles for decoration? (I don't have a subsand filter yet. I'll buy one once I'm done deciding)

3.I don't know if there is something wrong with my fish because whenever I use my eyeglasses, one of my fish looks unbalanced or somethin'. If I don't use my eyeglasses, they look just fine. I don't trust my eyes if I have glasses on :peeka

4.Should I buy a real plant already or just stick with fake plants? It's only a 10 gallon tank so I'm not sure if the real plants will crowd it. I keep the aquarium in my room where there isn't much sunlight for plants but I guess I could buy aquarium lights :D

Edited by pinkskitty93

1.What are the stuff that's dangerous to fishes? I know that sharp objects are harmful but what are the other chemicals that are harmful?

Is glue(Elmer's glue brand) toxic to fishes? Is a small piece of wood safe to use in an aquarium? Is rubber safe inside an aquarium? (obviously rubber is not safe :glare: )

2.Is sand better than pebbles for decoration? (I don't have a subsand filter yet. I'll buy one once I'm done deciding)

3.I don't know if there is something wrong with my fish because whenever I use my eyeglasses, one of my fish looks unbalanced or somethin'. If I don't use my eyeglasses, they look just fine. I don't trust my eyes if I have glasses on :peeka

4.Should I buy a real plant already or just stick with fake plants? It's only a 10 gallon tank so I'm not sure if the real plants will crowd it. I keep the aquarium in my room where there isn't much sunlight for plants but I guess I could buy aquarium lights :D

1 Unless what you want to use says fish safe dont use it.

2. Barebottom is best.

3. Could be the start of an illness so put on your glasses go to the illnesses forum, answer all the questions at the top of the page so we can help you.

4. I would not put anything in the tank till you get a bigger one. Your two fish need at least a 30 gallon. Until then get a rubbermaid or something like that for one or both to live in till you can get them the proper home.

Good luck

• Supporter
:exactly - everything that hidr said.. i recall that we had advised you on the tank size requirement on a different thread.. the best thing you can do for your fish is upgrade your tank or rehome them.

Hey Pinkskitty As said a Rubbermaid tub is agreat idea I dont know what is available in your area and what it costs, but in my area you get 30 gallon Rubbermaid tub for about 20 dollar. That is a lot cheaper than a tank and will work just fine until you have a larger tank. You will make your fish very happy with all the room. And they also will stay healthier.

Chemicals: If it's not got aquarium safe written on it don't use it is a good general rule. Did you want to use the glue yourself? You can buy tubes of aquarium sealant (silicone) which will stick things and after drying/curing are safe for your tank. Don't add anything to the water except dechlorinator unless specifically medicating for something (and a lot of out-the-box medicines actually contain a lot of harmful chemicals). Don't use hollow ornaments either, nasty gases start appearing in the stagnant water inside them and can kill your fish.

Wood should only ever be proper driftwood, not normal wood or it will just rot (it also floats), you should only really get it from an aquatic store (NOT the reptile section of a pet store!) and it should be very heavy for its size.

Sand can be dangerous for fish, goldfish like to root around in it hunting for food and it gets in their gills and irritates them. Undersand and undergravel filters are a big no-no, they're not effective filters and are just breeding grounds for bad bacteria. You will be better off with an internal, hang-on-back or canister filter depending on required size and budget.

The tilting may be due to high nitrates, do you have a drop test kit? Start a D&D thread with your water change routine and tank parameters :)

Java ferns and anubias are perfect for goldfish tanks, they shouldn't get eaten, don't require substrate and do fine in low-lighting tanks. Plastic plants are fine too as long as they're aquarium safe and not sharp, otherwise they'll rip your fishes' fins. Real plants will help keep your nitrates down but may occasionally require a little care from you, scraping algae off leaves, removing dead bits and tying down floating babies (for java ferns).

As said, you will need to look into a bigger tank soon, good priced second hand ones can be found on ebay and Craig's list or some of the chain stores do good deals ($1 a gallon or something) sometimes.

If we can help you with anything else, or you want something explaining further just ask :)

Edited by devilduck

I say that if you have to have a substrate, go with a fine layer of gravel. I have sand in all my tanks, started using it for a pictus catfish, but the sand has given my biggest pearlscale a rash on her belly. It has also caused one of my filters to make an annoying noise.

Oh, and I agree with looking on craigslist for second hand tanks. I got my 180 with stand, covers and light for 300 plus gas.

Good luck

Edited by ashlee18