Appetite Of A Goldfish

Guest Techfish

Guest Techfish

Hi,

I have a question pertaining to my goldfish "Gossamer". We bought him and 2 other goldies, Wal mart feeder fish, 25 cents each, but he aside from the other two quickly grew out of his little fishbowl and had no room to swim so we ended up getting him a 10 gallon tank. First of all, he filled his environment with no option but for us to go to larger tank, plus he eats more than any fish I've ever had, we were going through a large container of food in less than a month.

If he doesn't get fed constantly, he dances in the glass back and forth or splashes water as you walk by, showing he's mad, people laugh when they come over, he begs like a dog would when someone new is here. Anyway, the 2 other goldies,are normal size but we ended up with 7 fish in total, all smaller goldies that were going to be killed unless we took them, so we did and coincidentally,we just bought a 30 gallon tank right before inheriting the other 4 fish.

Gossamer is fairly big, 7 in long and 3 1\2 wide, no fins included in width so I expect he will eat more, which brings me to my next part of my inquiry.

Now, the water, even prior was constantly getting filthy. I found it was due to over feeding. The issue is, he eats a lot but I can't feed him so much without the water going bad very quickly. I since cut down to a once a day, perhaps a few more flakes when my daughter wants to feed him. This in mind, the water has stayed nice and clear for the most part, BUT, will this harm him? I know fish can eat little to nothing but I don't want to starve the big baby. Suggestions?

Thank you

Edited by Techfish

Hello there and welcome to Kokos! :D

I think the problem is not the food but the size of the tank. A goldfish, especially a common/comet goldfish should NEVER be kept in a bowl or a 10 gallon fish tank. The problem with them is they get big fast and need 20 gallons each. They get so big so fast and are actually meant to be pondfish. However you did a good thing in rescuing them. How often do you change the water?

Guest Techfish

Thank you :)

I think the problem is not the food but the size of the tank. A goldfish, especially a common/comet goldfish should NEVER be kept in a bowl or a 10 gallon fish tank. The problem with them is they get big fast and need 20 gallons each. They get so big so fast and are actually meant to be pondfish. However you did a good thing in rescuing them. How often do you change the water?

It's very hard to change the whole tank often so what I do is every two weeks, empty half the water or close, put in fresh water, and change the filter at the same time, this keeps it decent. If it does get out of hand, then we take on the task of changing the whole thing which is usually a month. Now, when we were feeding them all the time due to "Gossamer's" appetite, we were changing the whole aquarium every two weeks. We have been trying to find homes for some of the other fish but no one wants them as of yet.

Thank you for the reply,

Paul

See if someone with a pond might take them. That would help you out greatly, or you can find an aquarium store that's likely to take them.

The problem is goldfish are such poop machines that they need weekly 50-75% water changes. And then in your case they might need it twice weekly because there's such a huge bioload. You actually never need to change your filters, they contain your beneficial bacteria that you need to have a happy and healthy tank and keep your water parameters under control. Here is some information on cycling. Cycling of the Tank

Guest Techfish

Thank you for the information. So much I never knew about Goldfish! I do know someone with a pond and in fact, will call him tomorrow and see if he will take them. He has some fish in there already, other carp types so it may work out. And yep, they do tend to mess the tank a lot. You grow up thinking gold fish live in a little bowl and die so it's quite interesting to find out how much more there is to caring for them.

Thanks again,

Paul

He has 7 goldies right? Then by the look of that, he needs atleast a 55g bareminimum. Theyd be better off in a 75g as full grown adults imo. Common goldfish are m uch much more active and much bigger than any fancy could ever hope to be.

That would be fabulous if he could take them in. Yup it's a common misconception that has been passed around for years. But don't worry I think we all started out there. The good thing is you care about your fish and thta's absolutely great.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask us, we're always here to help! :D And once again, welcome to Kokos!

He has 7 goldies right? Then by the look of that, he needs atleast a 55g bareminimum. Theyd be better off in a 75g as full grown adults imo. Common goldfish are m uch much more active and much bigger than any fancy could ever hope to be.

In actuallity a 55 adn 75 would still be too small. A 140 gallon minimum would be needed to keep them happy and healthy, but he's working on getting them a pond which is even better :)

In actuallity a 55 adn 75 would still be too small. A 140 gallon minimum would be needed to keep them happy and healthy, but he's working on getting them a pond which is even better :)

Ehh I guess. but its better than a 10g or a bowl or even a 30g. lol. A pond would be best as long as they have hide outs cause the larger goldfish could attack the smaller ones. I had that happen to me once.

Guest Techfish

Ehh I guess. but its better than a 10g or a bowl or even a 30g. lol. A pond would be best as long as they have hide outs cause the larger goldfish could attack the smaller ones. I had that happen to me once.

Hi, the pond is a controlled environment and most of the fish are hand fed in there. I don't know if that will make a difference of course, but maybe. Hideouts, plenty of those, a lot of weeds, swimming holes for them to go into, a constant natural spring water feed into the pond too. Hmmm, maybe I'll move in there ;)

Thanks again,

Paul

Hi, the pond is a controlled environment and most of the fish are hand fed in there. I don't know if that will make a difference of course, but maybe. Hideouts, plenty of those, a lot of weeds, swimming holes for them to go into, a constant natural spring water feed into the pond too. Hmmm, maybe I'll move in there ;)

Thanks again,

Paul

hmmm thats a goldfish paradise