[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 7

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops

[*]Water temperature? 70-72

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gal, 3 years

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Penguin 350

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 25% one week, 50% the next etc.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 Ryukin approx 3 inches, pearlscale 2 in, 4 white cloud minnows less than inch each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra aqua safe and I have well water

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro Gold once daily, peas once a week, and flakes for minnows

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? salt

Last week my pearlscale got stuck to the filter intake, and I noticed his anal fins were a little torn. The next day when I got home from work I noticed that the anal fins were almost completely gone and that one of the minnows was nibbling at them, so I seperated the pearlscale from the rest in the same tank. He also had red streaks which I assumed were from where he was stuck to the filter intake. I treated with one round of salt and besides him not being able to swim correctly, it cleared up and he was wiggling around the best that he could. I figured I would keep him seperated and hopefully his fins would grow back to where he could swim regularly again. Two days ago, he started just floating around the top and he isn't eating. This morning he was floating face down and breathing is slow. I tried cupping him in my hand to feed him, but he isn't interested. I now have come to the conclusion that he will probably starve to death and I think he is dying. I just don't know if I should euthanize him and put him out of his misery or wait and see what happens. I just hate looking at him and I am just at a loss and don't know what else to do. All the other fish are fine and eating regularly. Suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Best Regards,

Norm

In my opinion, I think it would be best to end his suffering now, but it is ultimately your decision. Especially if he's no longer eating.

However I would immediately remove him from the tank to prevent any disease spread to your ryukin.

I've decided to euthanize. His breathing is getting slower and it is hurting me to even watch him. I am thinking he might had gotten hurt internally somehow. I honestly don't know how long he was stuck to the tube, but if it was all day while I was at work it might have had something to do with it. Moderator, please lock thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Norm

Edited by acenorm