Sir Betta Physch's Last Days.

seheap

I think Sir Betta Physch is on his way out. Over the past few months I have noticed an overall decline in his behavior.

He's not active, always laying on his side or partially curled on the sand bed or plants. And his whole jawline is white now (as opposed to just a few flecks) and he's often missing the food I put in the tank.

I wanted to ask if there was something I can do to prolong his life. I already do 50% water changes every week (10g tank) and as of right now I have it salted to 0.05%

I know that melafix can't be used with bettas at the full dose, but can I maybe give him a few drops as a destressor? (I know the answer is probably no, but figured I'd ask!)

Should I turn the light to a shorter photo-period? Or maybe give him more spaces to hide? I just recently added a small terra cotta pot that he loves to lay in and a silk plant that he seems to be ignoring...

I just hate to think that he's uncomfortable as he ages.

Aw shoot, Sarah...very sorry to hear this. Agreed with Tay...I'd offer some extra places for him to hide and just shorten the lighting period as well.

Sending good thoughts your way. :)

Edited by blackteles

I've had him for about a year and a half and got him from a chain store that sells retired breeders. So I'm estimating his age at 4.5 to 5 years.

I'll rearrange the lighting on his tank so it's on for a shorter amount of time.

Thanks guys.

He's had a good life and I intend to try and help him eke out a few more months if I can. :)

I'm sorry to hear that Sarah, but if he is as old as you think then he certainly has had a great life. :) The advice for more hiding spaces and also less light is excellent, if you could also lower the level of water so he doesn't have to swim as far for air that would also be a relief for him. Personally I wouldn't use the melafix on an old betta, even in very low doses I've seen it push the betta over the edge. It makes it harder for them to breathe for some reason.

I'm sure you'll be able to make his last days as comfortable as possible. :heart

I thought about lowering the water level, but if the filter makes too much noice (splash) it freaks the old knight out. He used to tear up his tail when the tank had too much evaporation.

Or do you think I could do without the filter? It's just him in the tank (all of his buddies died from complications from trying to get rid of a daphnia infestation....I accidentally added the inverts back into the tank before I primed the water...:( ) so the bio-load isn't that high.

Though I'm worried that if I turn off the filter the water will become stagnant...

Best to keep the filter then. Do you have a tall silk plant with large leaves that he could lie on, that would keep him up near the surface? He would probably appreciate that. :)

I just added a big silk plant that I thought he'd love, but he is completely ignoring it. He's hiding out in his terra cotta pot...

I guess I'll just leave him be and let him decide where he wants to hang out. :unsure:

The intake is fine, even when the water level is at less than 50%, it's the output. Because it's a HOB, if I drop the water level the output will create all sorts of splash. He hates splash. And I don't have any other filters here, they all went home with Steve when he took my goldies home. :(

Though I am entertaining the thought of putting him down. It's just so sad to watch him. He barely moves, barely breathes. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be nicer just to put him out of his obvious misery.

But then again, he still eats (albeit not nearly as enthusiastically or as much as he used to) and he is still swimming to the surface to get air every once in a while.

I just don't know what to do. :(

Sarah I feel for you, I've watched a few of my female bettas grow old like that and it is sad to watch. :cry1 I don't really know what to suggest since I always keep my bettas in big bowls I've always just lowered the level of water and that keeps them comfortable until they go. You mentioned that he is still eating but not as much as before, are you feeding pellets? I've noticed that as my bettas get older they seem to have trouble chewing the pellets, so I usually try to feed them soft foods, like little pieces of shrimp. It might help keep some of his strength up. :hug

I usually feed him mysis and brine shrimp...and if I feed pellets I always soak them (in two drops of water so they don't lose all their vits) until they're mush.

But I've lately been feeding exclusively the mysis shrimp since those seem to be his favorite. Do you think maybe he's bored with the food so he isn't eating as much?

He's doing much worse. :( Not moving at all, lying on the ground completely on his side.

But I just can't bring myself to use the clove oil. :(

Sarah I'm so sorry. :cry1 I've never been able to use the clove oil on my bettas either. :( When I feel they are very close to going I usually wrap their bowl in a dark towel to give them some peace and quiet and they usually go that way. You might want to cover his tank, he might feel more comfortable since he must be feeling vulnerable if he can't swim.

You gave him a comfortable and loving home, and you did all you could for him. :hug

Well, I am making the hard decision. He is no longer eating, not even a little. So I think it's best if I mix up the clove oil.

:cry:

Sarah I know how hard it is to do this. But in this case I'm sure you are making the most humane and just thing for the well being of Sir Betta Physch. :cry1

I'm sending all tons of encouraging thoughts to you hun. :hug :hug

Remember that you gave him the best life possible. :heart