Sign in to follow this  
Elle

Marineland Stealth Pro Heaters - They Suck!

Has anyone else had problems with the Marineland Stealth Pro Heaters?

I have 2 of them, one in my 30 gallon and one in my 5 gallon betta tank. Both are correctly rated for the tank size, both were purchased from different stores and NEITHER one is heating the tank to the set temperature, or even anywhere near it. This isn't a case of the heaters being too small, either...they are just not heating effectively, even though the indicator light is red, showing that the heater is on. My poor betta is freezing, and my fancy goldfish aren't at a temp I'd like either. I'm just glad I don't have super delicate fish like discus.

I called the company this morning, and the CSR told me that "oh well, this is random, you'll get the odd one that doesn't work". They offered to send me a new heater, but I'm sorry, if you just told me that you can't rely on your heaters working, why would I wait a week or more for you to send me another that might not work? :rolleyes:

Not to mention that I did some more reading this morning and found THIS thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/103155-beware-marineland-stealth-pro-heater.html

I'm getting new, non-Marineland heaters for my tanks as of today, and their pieces of crap are going back to the stores as of this week. I will never buy their heaters again. :madrant

I am so mad that I can barely see straight right now. Has anyone else had any issues like this?

Edited by Elle

Never. We actually recommend the stealh heaters since they're less likely to break. They're actually some of the best brands. I would take the offer to get new ones and ignore that idiot employee. I bet the store had old ones. :idont Mine work wonderfully.

I considered getting the replacements, but I just don't want to deal with them any more. Two bum heaters from 2 different stores and two different wattages? Fuggedaboutit, they're going back.

And this isn't a small temperature difference: I have the heater for the betta tank set at 82F, and the tank is sitting at 68F. For the goldfish tank it's set at 75F, and it's actually at 67F. These heaters have been up and running for a few weeks in the case of the goldfish, and over 24 hours in the betta's case.

If it was a small 1-2 degree temp difference, I wouldn't be as concerned, but this heater advertises its accuracy to +/- 1 degree and it's not even getting within 10? Not cool.

Can anyone recommend a non-Marineland heater?

I just read through that entire thread you linked to and I gotta say that is some scary stuff...

I also have a marineland stealth pro heater, but I'll be checking the lot number when I get home and see if it is the same as the reported problem lot numbers. People on that thread were saying that the Marineland Visitherms are very good. You can call Marineland customer service and ask them to replace your stealth pro with a visitherm and they are supposed to do it no questions asked. I might look into doing that myself.

That thread also said Rena Smart heaters (shatter proof) were good as well.

I had one in one of my fry tanks. I had it for three whole days before it popped. Luckily it didn't effect the fish too much. Im just sticking to my hydors now. They are in all my tanks.

Edited by ashlee18

I have 2 of them. One in my tropical tank which has been in there for almost 2 years now and one in my 5 gallon betta tank. I've had no problems with them and they work just fine for me.

That being said... I really...and I mean really.... love my Rena smart heater.

I also like the Rena Smart Heaters...works awesome in my 55 gal tank. I also use Tetra heaters that are shatterproof in my other aquariums and they do well for me. ;)