Need Opinions About Uvs...

Sakura

As most of you know, I have the 25 watt "powerhouse" UV running on my 75 gallon tank. This one. I am extremely confident in this UV's ability to kill nasty bacteria and parasites and protect the health of my fish. I have the 55 gallon tank set up right now and will be getting about four new fish next week, and I don't feel comfortable going without a UV. I've just had too many problems to risk not using a UV. I really want to buy another 25 watt UV from GFC, but it's just so expensive. I could probably swing it, but I'd rather go for something cheaper that will still do the job.

GFC has another UV that's smaller and less powerful. This one. It's cheaper, so I'm finding it appealing... I emailed Rick about it and he said it's meant more for clearing green algae and a small amount of bad bacteria, but will not kill the same amount of bacteria and parasites as the 25 watt one will. I asked if it could be modified in some way (ex. getting a pump with a different flow rate) and he said it could not. So it is what it is.

Another option is to look for a cheaper UV elsewhere that is comparable to the 25 watt GFC one. The only problem is most other UV's don't come all nicely assembled, and that's what I like about the GFC ones. I'm not interested in cutting and fitting all the pipes for it myself. Feel free to suggest other UVs that are just as powerful as the 25 watt GFC one and don't require any set up!

What do you guys think? I've had issues in my tank and this new tank is seeded with media from the old tank, so I'm trying to be extra cautious. These new fish I'm getting are super nice and I want to make sure things go well for them.

:bingo:

Edited by Sakura

Well I have only had mine for a couple of days, but it has been AWESOME. As I have raved about in my pearlie thread. It cleared up that popeye in 24 hours. It is a 24 watt submersible UV sterilizer that comes with its own air pump. I don't know what the flow rate is off the top of my head though. It also came with all the pipes already cut and ready to fit together. It was only $80 though, which kinda scares me, since you get what you pay for. I'm going to go find the box to find out the name of it and try to track down the gph thingy.

I was kind of scared about it since it was from Pet$mart. I talked to their fish guru about it, she is actually a guru - we talk way too much, and she uses it in her own gf tank, a 120 with all teles.

Edited by ashlee18

Well I found the box. It is called the "green killing machine" but the manual is in french...that would only happen to me.

Online it says that it has a "98gph pump" but gets the "472 gph" needed to kill the bacteria. I don't know how that works...

• Supporter

sakura,

i have a 9w servicing my 66 gallon tank.. is working a treat.. cleared up green water in 2 days to crystal clear and there have been NO health problems at all..

i don't see why you need to go the 25w for the 55gal.. also, mine is of the Jebo brand.. it's not expensive at all and just needs a knife to cut the intake tube, a powersocket and off you go!..

So those UV Sterilizers kill off more or less all bad bacteria, nasties and algae spores, right? So technically if the water quality is good the fish should not get sick at all anymore?

What all do they really take care of? Ich? Flukes?

I wonder if I should get one although aside from flukes I never had any problems.

Yes they do, but not all UVs are created equal. Normally you get what you pay for. The more powerful ones like the 25 watt kill almost all bacteria, parasites, and viruses in the water. So it's much less likely the fish will get sick. But it's not just the wattage that's important, you have to match the wattage and the diameter of the body to the flow rate. That's the confusing part, and that's why I would rather buy from GFC because they do that for you. They include a powerhead that has the right flow rate so you don't even have to think about it. :)

id love to have a UV sterilizer but then thats 130-200 plus gone there, and then if there is no power head included, then i gotta get one that works well with it. soo much money! aside from that though if you do you wonderful waterchanges i dont think you will run to many problems in my opinion. if anything, seeing that it is a lot of money, you can always set up the tank have it running, then eventually get a sterilizer, in hopes that everything goes well though, and you dont get it when its too late.

• Supporter

i'm just working off my own success record.. i haven't lost a fish in 5 years.. but ever since 3 months ago (9w UV installed), i haven't had any health issues in my tank.. none whatsoever.. it has the flow rate to suit upto 90 gallons and only cost $100AUD.. globe replacement every 10-12 months recommended by the supplier.. water is crystal clear, fish are healthy and we're all happy

i'm just working off my own success record.. i haven't lost a fish in 5 years.. but ever since 3 months ago (9w UV installed), i haven't had any health issues in my tank.. none whatsoever.. it has the flow rate to suit upto 90 gallons and only cost $100AUD.. globe replacement every 10-12 months recommended by the supplier.. water is crystal clear, fish are healthy and we're all happy

That sounds heaps good. What brand is it?

• Supporter

That sounds heaps good. What brand is it?

it's a Jebo Jebo UV Sterilizer

aside from that though if you do you wonderful waterchanges i dont think you will run to many problems in my opinion.

Not true. I do 50 percent or greater water changes every three days and still having problems with dropsy. I have very little substrate and no place for stagnant water. The uv sterilizer is helping greatly.

• Supporter

aside from that though if you do you wonderful waterchanges i dont think you will run to many problems in my opinion.

Not true. I do 50 percent or greater water changes every three days and still having problems with dropsy. I have very little substrate and no place for stagnant water. The uv sterilizer is helping greatly.

that's fantastic news.. i too am really happy with the uv sterilizer. i don't think i can own another tank without one.. infact, i believe it is an essential piece of hardware to fishkeeping..

Thanks for the input guys. This UV problem has been plaguing me all week. I think I'm just going to go with the Clarifier Excel and hope that it's powerful enough. I'm just worried because the media was seeded from the 75 gallon tank where I had a few fish deaths a while ago. But hopefully it will be alright. :) Hopefully!