Protein Skiimmer?

Deku

can you use a protein skimmer for a goldfish tank? would it even work? would it make the tank cleaner and safer? Any other things that could keep the tank water crystal clear? sides water changes?

I don't know anything about protein skimmers, but if you want something extra to help keep your water clean and clear, a UV sterilizer is what you want. They keep the water crystal clear, and also help cut down dramatically on the number of harmful bacteria and parasites in the tank. The only problem is they cost a bomb- good ones do at least. A UV sterilizer will never replace water changes as far as keeping the water clean, but it does help keep the water sterile which is nice with goldfish since they succumb to illness so easily. I have this one from Goldfish Connection and it works beautifully:

UV sterilizer

I don't know anything about protein skimmers, but if you want something extra to help keep your water clean and clear, a UV sterilizer is what you want. They keep the water crystal clear, and also help cut down dramatically on the number of harmful bacteria and parasites in the tank. The only problem is they cost a bomb- good ones do at least. A UV sterilizer will never replace water changes as far as keeping the water clean, but it does help keep the water sterile which is nice with goldfish since they succumb to illness so easily. I have this one from Goldfish Connection and it works beautifully:

UV sterilizer

nice. thanks

• Supporter

i got a 9w for my 66 gallon tank and i swear, well, i just swear by it! crystal clear and no health problems with fish.. i just couldn't do without it in my tank.. best investment (other than pork chop) that i ever made!

I haven't really heard of protein skimmers being used in a freshwater tank, but I don't see why they couldn't be. What a protein skimmer does is it removes waste before it even has a chance to break down. So, it just helps the biological filtration, basically. It would probably be a good idea, seeing a goldfish are little poop factories :)

I just googled it and apparently you can use them in freshwater.

I haven't really heard of protein skimmers being used in a freshwater tank, but I don't see

why they couldn't be. What a protein skimmer does is it removes waste before it even has a chance to break down. So, it just helps the biological filtration, basically. It would probably be a good idea, seeing a goldfish are little poop factories :)

I just googled it and apparently you can use them in freshwater.

Thats what I figured.