Sound-Proofing An Air-Pump?

Migaloo

I have an air pump with 4 outlets running the stones in my 170gal, which is in my living room. The pump sits in the tank cabinet, however, the back of the cabinet is open and the pump can be quite noisy when I turn it up to where I want it. If I turn it down, its quieter, but then I dont get the bubbles I want.

I have put the air pump on a piece of sponge, hoping to absorb some of the noise, however, its the pump itself that makes the noise so this doesnt help much.

I thought it I put the whole pump in some sort of foam box, it may soundproof it somewhat, but I am worried that it could overheat.

Any ideas?

That is what I don't like about the large air pumps. And so instead of one big one I am using a couple small ones. Considering the low wattage (the 70 gallon air pump uses 3.5 watt) it really doesn't cost much more to have them running, plus in case the aerator dies when I'm not at home the tank won't be completely without bubble supply. And they are so much more quiet, all of them combined make way less noise than the one big one I got, and I got the small ones sitting on the floor under the tank. The whisper filter is "louder" than the air pumps!

That's a good idea - will try that with either cardboard or a piece of thick foam sponge!

Two smaller air pumps could work also, but since this air pump is only quite new, I dont want to spend any more money - have already forked out big time for fish stuff lately LOL