Do Calico Telescopes Lose Their Black Too?

kazaba

So I found the cutest little telescope today and had to get it. It's a "calico" with a white belly and mostly black scales with some silvery and copper scales in a beautiful pattern. It also has black stripes in its dorsal and caudal fins. And its eyes are adorable; they're black but have a silvery-metallic outline. :wub:

I know black is a very unstable color in most goldfish, but does that include calico telescopes too? I wouldn't really mind if he ends up losing black, but it is just so stunning I'd be sad to see it go eventually..

PS: I didn't realize how big my other two fish have gotten since moving them to the 40 gallon! I put the new guy's bag in their tank while setting things up, and he was half their size!! :blink:

Yes black is unstable in ALL fish. My calico ryukin has lost some of his black and it's fading. There's another member here who had a calico tele in the before and after oage if I'm not mistaken and it's turned from calico to all orange and white. Whether it will turn is in it's genes, and keeping a fish in a pond will help it keep its blacks and make them more vibrant.

I know black is a very unstable color in most goldfish, but does that include calico telescopes too?

In my experience with calico mine didn't lose it's black...it even intensified a little. I believe the black is somewhat diluted within the calico coloration so I think you're going to be safe!

:Congrats: on that calico teles...we'd like to see it! ;) We love telescopes!

Yup. The black in calico may likely stay much better than the all-black type but this is always case by case basis. There are a few cases where the black flecks do disappear. Depends more on environmental conditions than genetics as far as I have observed.

My calico telescope has lost most of his black this summer. You can check him out here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/87149-color-change/

I also used to have a calico oranda who was mostly orange and black, and that black stayed. So the black may stay, or not.

So, I guess I'll just have to wait and see! I hope most of it stays.. I have a feeling it might :)

I'll put some pictures up in a day or two, it's in a bucket right now since the quarantine tank is currently being sterilized. Hopefully I'll get a good picture once I get him in the tank.

Thanks for your responses, they're reassuring!

Cometgirl: your telescope's color change is awesome! If mine does lose its black, I hope its remaining colors are as vibrant as that.