Substrait Like Background. Ill Explain Inside.

Deku

Okay. I been told since substrait is a pain in the keester to keep clean. But I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY STRONGLY DO NOT want a bare bottom tank. I thought of this solution. What if I bought a ton of aquarium glue, and I got polished river rocks and I glued the rocks to the bottom of the tank and filled any nook and cranny with glued gravel and I made sure that the water cant get to the bottom where itll get stuck and make a muck, would this work? It doesnt have to be just polished river stones. It could be gravel, or other stuff too. I just want something nice. :P

Any opinion?

A thin layer of gravel or rocks (JUST enough to cover the bottom) is really all you need, there's no need to glue anything down. :) It's just that when do your weekly water changes, and vaccuum the gravel, you need to be thourough. Stir it up, suck up all the nasty bits, and there you go. :)

I used to have around an inch of gravel in one of my tanks, and it was a bit of a pain to clean. But if you only have a "light dusting" that just covers the glass bottom, it's no big deal. :)

A thin layer of gravel or rocks (JUST enough to cover the bottom) is really all you need, there's no need to glue anything down. :) It's just that when do your weekly water changes, and vaccuum the gravel, you need to be thourough. Stir it up, suck up all the nasty bits, and there you go. :)

I used to have around an inch of gravel in one of my tanks, and it was a bit of a pain to clean. But if you only have a "light dusting" that just covers the glass bottom, it's no big deal. :)

Well I have a vacuuum for it. And I know how to do it enough to get all the gunk out. MAybe ill do two water changes to get out all the gunk? If I use gravel I like it deep thats why. Like 1-2 inches deep. I was thinking maybe I could have an undergravel filter as well. If I can find one that would make my life MUCHHHH easier.

Exactly. Because even if you'd glue rocks to the bottom, water and so particles of waste would still get between them, even if there's gravel. You'd have to silicone it all down to have it perfectly sealed, but even then you most likely will have to clean the bottom as the surface will be uneven and tend to catch some waste.

Exactly. Because even if you'd glue rocks to the bottom, water and so particles of waste would still get between them, even if there's gravel. You'd have to silicone it all down to have it perfectly sealed, but even then you most likely will have to clean the bottom as the surface will

be uneven and tend to catch some waste.

Then Ill still have gravel, not glued but ill have to do atleast 2 water changes. :o

just be careful with undergravel filters - goldies poop so much they really aren't proper filters for them.

As for the gravel, a very very thing coating is ok for most goldies. But if you are looking into more delicate ones, barebottom is the way to go. :)

Or you could just paint the outside bottom of the tank with a gravel pattern lol. Thus eliminating getting gravel all together and keeping your goldies much safer.

But then it doesnt pop out. ;3; I wanted it to be 3D not 2D Ehh Ill see what I can do. Ill still try figuring this out.

i bought a couple of fish from the local petstore and when they got into my bare bottom tank i noticed that they brought the sand substrate back with them. obviously they ate it and held it in thier mouths or whatnot, i imagine its not good for them, but that would be the main reason i would not use gravel.

i do like the last idea posted. i would imagine you not even having to paint the gravel scenery on, maybe they have gravel backgrounds you can cut and tape to the bottom outside of your tank.

I use gravel in my goldie tank, do weekley water changes and have had no problems with it. My gravel is about 2-1/2" deep for my live plants. I usually stick the vacum into it about 1 to 1-1/2 inches to clean out the gunk, but also not get rid of all of it so the plants still get their nutrients.

• 3 weeks later...

Attaching the gravel to the bottom would only make cleaning it harder because then you can't stir up the gravel...I don't think gravel is as bad as it is often thought of. I've kept goldfish for years in tanks with gravel and nothing has gone wrong- rather, it was when I had them in a barebottom tank that they stopped being as active and spent a lot of time at the bottom. Gravel can hold bacteria that help process ammonia and it lets you plant the tank with more than pots and plants attached to driftwood. Just make sure that you vacuum the gravel as often as necessary, don't get crazy with it being too deep (let's say more than 3 or 4 inches), and choose a smaller grain gravel so that the poo doesn't settle to the bottom- small enough that it will easily be spit out from the fish too, so they don't choke.

Of course, this coming from a newbie to koko's, so I don't fully represent this forum's take on substrate in gf tanks... Hope that helps.

Edited by Calluna

I was always opposed to reducing my gravel bed, but after numerous problems I have finally reduced it to a 1/4 inch thick bed. I don't have any of the problems and still get to enjoy the look of gravel and watching my goldies forage through it.

• 2 months later...

I would NEVER glue ANYTHING permanently to the tank. 1st Every now & then we all change our minds on decor. 2nd I really think you HAVE to be able to stir up all the gravel when you are siphoning & cleaning to get all the gunk & bad stuff from accumulating.