Planaria

Okey so I cannot seem to get totally rid of planaria in the turtle tank! It is making me crazy! I have both the swimming kind and the window sucking kind! :krazy: :krazy: :krazy:

A few weeks ago I tore down the entire tank and filters - boiled everything but they are STILL there!!!

Now I decided to just pour some bleach in the tank and run it a few days with high salt solution. I will remove the turtle for a week so that I hopefully starve everything!

Do they respond to prazi? I cannot have them in my tank, it looks SO gross... :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

What is weird is that the other 2 turt tanks do not have this. I think i introduced them to begin in a plant I forgot to sterilize... In a year of this tank running i have never had issues.

I have never had this Fede(knock on wood),but it does sound gnarlyyikes.gif! And especially for a person w/ a cleaning fetishsaywhat.gifexactly.gifSounds like you might need to nuke them w/ bleachpan.gif! Surely,someone around here has successfully gotten rid of them at some pointbingo.gif I wonder if turning the temp WAY up would help also? Good luck w/ thisgudluksn.gif

And especially for a person w/ a cleaning fetish

:rofl :rofl :rofl So TRUE! OMG and I think Savannah (the turt) is also a little germophob as today she was scratching her eyes. YUCK that tank was gross! Now she is in a nice rubber tub. :)

I also thought about the heat! Running it one week like at 45C should kill em! Bleach doesn't seem to kill all as I had done that to ALL the tank + deco AND BOILED all the filter media + replaced the sponge! It's becoming a real nightmare!

Thanx Dennis I will take a look. So far I only read that I must starve them. How long does that take? ARGH!

Swimming. After a water change, it looks like it is snowing

YES!!! IT's SOOOOO GROSS!!!!!!!! :krazy: :krazy: :krazy: :krazy: :krazy:

I also have barebottom and keep the tank clean - I think in my case it is because I feed high protein - so not all is digested and they eat the poop! :doh11:

interesting problem, i seem to remember that baby fish love to eat the planaria, . Also if the fish and plants can be removed for a while try dumping a bottle (250ml) of H2O2 3% or more in there as disinfect for a few hours as it is wasy to remove later by water change.

Mikroll-that is a very clever idea.

Right now I have it just running totally empty. Anyone know how many days they take to starve?

They are just so gross!

Does this stuff ever have a hard exterior? A few months back,a snail made it's way into 1 of my betta tanks on a plant. Round and round the tank he'd go-then 1 day I just don't see him anymore! Now in that 1 tank I see some tiny little things-attached on the inside-but they have hard exteriors. They don't really look like snails,but they are very small. Any ideas?

• Supporter

Does this stuff ever have a hard exterior? A few months back,a snail made it's way into 1 of my betta tanks on a plant. Round and round the tank he'd go-then 1 day I just don't see him anymore! Now in that 1 tank I see some tiny little things-attached on the inside-but they have hard exteriors. They don't really look like snails,but they are very small. Any ideas?

no idea! but weird.. do you have pics?

Susan, mine are squishy. The swimming ones are thin white worms - some babies of a few mm and some grandpas of about 1 inch! :o And the sucking glass ones are short but fat - and they crawl around. Yuck...

Susan, mine are squishy. The swimming ones are thin white worms - some babies of a few mm and some grandpas of about 1 inch! :o And the sucking glass ones are short but fat - and they crawl around. Yuck...

The new horror movie:

Invasion of the Planaria

Now in 3D

:rofl:lol1:P

Edited by Quasi