Nail Design For This Week

Sakura

Lately I've been doing a different design on my nails each week, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I came across this nail design called "water marbling" and decided to try it. It was pretty easy and I like the result, but it takes FOREVER! So I won't be doing this very often I don't think. If you want to know how this is done, just search "water marbling tutorial" on youtube, and you'll find lots of info videos.

Some of the supplies used (yeah I used a flosser because I don't have any toothpicks!):

a024.jpg

Your fingers come out looking like this... so there is a lot of clean up to do:

a028.jpg

The thumb design was especially cool:

a026.jpg

And the finished result after cleaning it all up:

a039.jpg

a037.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't wear nail polish anymore since I got the fish, I don't trust the stuff in contact with the tank water. I might just be too paranoid, but it works for me. Aside from that due to wonderfulness of doing physical work my nails don't stay long anymore at all. They've always been too much of TOOLS for me, so I just trim them nicely, not too long, not too short and keep them clean for my fishie babies!

But I gotta say, this design looks AMAZING. I also love the color combination you chose. Can't wait to see the next one!

Cool marbling! my grandfather fixes old books as a hobby, he uses this technique a lot for the inside of the front cover (which is leather - he lines it with marbleized paper).

That is so cool! I would have hated to take the design off of my thumb!

I just saw some natural nail polish in some really funky colors, maybe I'll do this for Little Breeches when she's older....or maybe for our toes.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the comments guys!

Fang, I don't think nail polish is as big of a deal as some people say. I would never put my nails in the tank the same day I had painted them, for one thing. I always wait to put my hands in the tank until they no longer smell like polish. Also, I am a perfectionist about it, so I always remove the polish before it starts flaking off. So none ever gets in the tank.

So all in all, nail polish with fish tanks... no big deal! :happydance

No the thing is Dennis wants his nails painted like that too :D

Sakura: I see! I'm maybe too super cautious. Maybe I can ask you a quick half unrelated question then: What type of hand lotion is more or less safe. I wash my hands with clean water for several minutes between using hand lotion and reaching in the tank. At work my hands get dirty a lot and I have to use those alcohol sanitizing wipes constantly and this REALLY dries my hands out, so I do need to use a lot of moisturizers. But when I come home I have to wash it all back off before feeding the fish.

Is pure cocoa butter fine? Anything else?

No the thing is Dennis wants his nails painted like that too :D

Sakura: I see! I'm maybe too super cautious. Maybe I can ask you a quick half unrelated question then: What type of hand lotion is more or less safe. I wash my hands with clean water for several minutes between using hand lotion and reaching in the tank. At work my hands get dirty a lot and I have to use those alcohol sanitizing wipes constantly and this REALLY dries my hands out, so I do need to use a lot of moisturizers. But when I come home I have to wash it all back off before feeding the fish.

Is pure cocoa butter fine? Anything else?

LOL! If you want to come on over Dennis I can paint your nails too! :rofl

Hmm... I guess I'm not too sure about that. I just use some off brand unscented lotion, but I always make sure to use it right before going to sleep so I don't have my hands in the fish tank after using it. But I think my first instinct would be just to use a really basic hand lotion with few ingredients, and no scents added. Then as long as you wash it off well before putting your hands in the tank, I'm sure it will be fine. :) That's just my two cents I guess!

Gotcha. I guess I'll just keep doing it then the way I do now, with rinsing my hands really good. I have to use the lotion more than once a day because the skin on the back of my hands cracks a bit otherwise. I hate alcohol wipes ....

@Fang - totally gross and greasy but you can use Vaseline since we actually put it ON the fish :) I use it in winter as a tiny dot of it moisturizes like crazy! (unlike some lotions which you have to reapply every hr or so in dry winters here)