Filter Intake Vs. Bubble Wall

I DIY extended my aquaclear intakes all the way to the bottom of the tank. I also just got a bubble wall that runs the entire length of the back wall because my little oranda is in love with bubbles. The bubble wall isn't putting out a lot of bubbles yet, I think because my air pump is just not up to the job. I'm looking to get a much better air pump in the next week or so. But the intakes are already sucking up some bubbles. Of course they are, why did I not realize this would happen? :badidea

Anyway, how big a problem is it? Will it damage the filters? Does anyone have suggestions for how I can keep both?

Yeah it will damage the filters. It causes them to break down much much faster than they normally would :(

I think you could move the bubble wall forward by an inch or two so that the bubbles come up just in front of the intakes. Or you could bend the bubble wall (if it's the bendy kind) into a curve so you can place it in the middle of the tank in-between the filter intakes. That's what I do with mine.

It is the bendy kind. I wonder if I could just bend little curves in it to go around the intakes and leave the rest against the wall. I think I will try that. This little fish seems to really love the bubbles going up the sides. I have another long flat airstone in the center under some flat rocks so the bubbles come up and he's not as fond of those as he was the bubble wall in the QT tank. He's a funny little fish.

Thanks for the heads up. I really don't want to hurt my filters!

I think the swooshing may be related to the fine bubbles "fizzing" at the surface. Somehow that mixed with the other bubbly noises. Maybe? I can't see any bubbles getting sucked up or any air in any of the filter tubes or boxes and I can't hear anything coming from the filter itself. :idont

Edit: I know you have aquaclears too. When you have swooshing is it always air in the filter?

Edited by flutterbudget

Hmm... well that's good. Maybe it does just have to do with the bubbles fizzing at the surface. Also I think just the force of the bubbles being forced through the holes in the bubble wand makes some noise too.

Mine is bendy too. So not only did a move it forward some I also did a bend where the intake is. It keeps sliding back so i have to move it again every few days. if i don't my filter starts making a weird sound cause off the bubbles.

Yeah. I don't know. My air pump is kinda crummy, so maybe it's doing something weird. Maybe the noise is from back pressure from the extra long bubble wand or something like that? I just don't see how it can be air in the filters if it still happens when they are off. So I guess that at least is good. I'm hoping to get a Rena pump this week or next. I've seen a couple of pretty good deals online.

Rena airpumps are great! I cannot recommend them enough :) Make sure you check CraigsList as well, I found one on there for dirt cheap. It rattled at first, but I just tightened the screws and now it's perfectly silent. My other one was bought brand new and has never made a sound.

I've got nothing on craigslist near me that didn't come with a starter kit from wally world. But I'm watching one on ebay and found another on amazon. Also pet mountain has some on sale. I'm just tired of futzing with equipment that doesn't want to do what I want it to do. The pump I have on the tank now came with it when I bought the tank used and, like everything else that came with it, is woefully inadequate for the tank size, especially for goldfish.