Water Plant Question

Deku

a)Whats steralyzing a plant do?

b)How do you do it? Is it safe?

c)Where can I find water lettuce? I saw sakuras water lettuce and I fell in love with them. How big of a tank they need?

Hey SolarFish

a) What does sterilizing a plant do?

The point is to remove/kill any bad bacteria, parasites, and pest snails that are on the plant. Most aquarium plants are kept in tanks with fish, so it's likely they will be carrying something bad.

b) How do you sterilize plants?

I use a 1 part bleach to 19 parts water solution for 1 minute. Then I rinse really well and soak the plant in a bucket of water that has a triple dose (at least) of water dechlorinator in it. After a while the plant should no longer smell like bleach and can be added to the tank. It works well for most plants.

c) My water lettuce didn't make it :( I got them for free from someone I found on Craigs List. He had too many in his pond, and rather than throw them away, he wanted to give them to people. After I bleached them though, the roots started shedding like crazy. Then I had to remove them from the tank because I was treating with a medication, so they were outside in a bucket for a while. Probably just from all those stressors at once, they didn't make it. I didn't really like how they looked in the tank anyways, they are much prettier and work nicer in ponds. They got pushed around by the filter currents too much in the tank. But if you want some you should check out your local gardening store.

a.) It kills any harmful bacteria or snail eggs that could be living on the plant. This way you keep the plant perfectly clean and free of harmful bacteria and parasites before adding it to your tank.

b.) I prefer to do a bleach dip for all new plants. I do 1 part bleach to 19 parts water, or I just fill up my 3 gallon bucket and put a tad of bleach in there adn let it sit for 1-2 minutes. However you need to be careful or else the plants will melt away or die so you need to watch them. After the bleach dip I rinse them out very thoroughly in the bucket and then do a final rinse in dechlorinated water. Then I add them to the tank, but you can leave them in the dechlorinated water bath for longer.

c.) You can find water lettuce at most local aquarium stores, but it's a floating plant. Sakura has Java ferns and Anubias now if I'm not mistaken. it can be attatched to rocks.

Edit: :rofl Sakura posted before me darn it. Disregard this one.

Edited by Haruka

Noooo don't disregard Haruka's post! I'm sure you said some things I didn't :)

I just have anubias now actually Taylor. I've thought about getting some java ferns sometime though, those are neat plants too.

:rofl

They had some lovely java fern rings on some smooth lava rock my mom got for me. Red likes swimming through it and Soochi enjoys knocking it around. Can't have anything nice anymore.

Solar, if you get a floating plant make sure it doesn't get knocked around too much like Sakura said. They also have hornwort and the like but the needles shed like crazy.

Noooo don't disregard Haruka's post! I'm sure you said some things I didn't :)

I just have anubias now actually Taylor. I've thought about getting some java ferns sometime though, those are neat plants too.

is that jennifer stone?

Edited by SolarFish

They had some lovely java fern rings on some smooth lava rock my mom got for me. Red likes swimming through it and Soochi enjoys knocking it around. Can't have anything nice anymore.

Solar, if you get a floating plant make sure it doesn't get knocked around too much like Sakura said. They also have hornwort and the like but the needles shed like crazy.

you can call me kevin if you like. :)

fake lillies then.lol and anachris

The only problem with anachris is that goldfish tend to think that it's an endless buffet, but that's good for them too and it grows fast. You can also plant it. :) Duckweed is also an option but I found it to be messy and they ate it within 5 minutes. Anubias and Java fern they really can't destroy and it doesn't need to be planted either.

The only problem with anachris is that goldfish tend to think that it's an endless buffet, but that's good for them too and it grows fast. You can also plant it. :) Duckweed is also an option but I found it to be messy and they ate it within 5 minutes. Anubias and Java fern they really can't destroy and it doesn't need to be planted either.

can you plant anubias?

Yes if you have gravel but don't bury the rhizome. If you look in the tank and videos section, you can see Sakura's new video with her anubias on the rocks. It looks very nice too. :D You get a nice choice with them.

Yes if you have gravel but don't bury the rhizome. If you look in the tank and videos section, you can see Sakura's new video with her anubias on the rocks. It looks very nice too. :D You get a nice choice with them.

hmm goood

all my Anubias float. i had one with a log but i dont like logs they cause to many problems :(

Could I tie them to a rock with a rubber band?(the roots and part of the stalk). I wouldnt want it to float. It would look extremely weird and disorganized in my eyes. Or so the way I picture it.