Ping Pong Pearlies

Deku

They are hard to care for because of their body structure. They are more apt to get dropsy because their organs are so pressed together and are more apt to getting organ failure for this reason.

They are hard to care for because of their body structure. They are more apt to get dropsy because their organs are so pressed together and are more apt to getting organ failure for this reason.

is there a way to prevent it?

Some say they do best in shallow tanks with slightly higher temperatures (around 78 degrees F).

ben9.jpg

ben7.jpg

Omfg. I really want one now!!! Its soooooooooo adorable.......... Dx!!!! But whats the chance of them dying? If I have the water quality perfect? My water is hard and alkaline. My goldfish seem to do okay in it. I have a heater that measures the exact temperature of the water, and when it gets too hot it shuts off, when it gets cold it goes higher to heat up the water a little bit fast (within 3hours the water will be back to normal)

Plus: I can also find them in my lfs. Where I used to work at. Theyd order them for me if I wanted to.

Edited by SolarFish

I have one (lower rightmost of my sig) but it's only about 5 months old and besides once getting white spots, has been perfectly healthy. Of course, I'm not a fan of the ones with insanely huge bellies like the pictures above so the one I got was one who had just the right spherical shape to him.

I have one (lower rightmost of my sig) but it's only about 5 months old and besides once getting white spots, has been perfectly healthy. Of course, I'm not a fan of the ones with insanely huge bellies like the pictures above so the one I got was one who had just the right spherical shape to him.

i like that shape

Yeah you can certainly get ones that are less rotund :teehee The less rotund ones have a better chance of being healthy anyways. The fish in the photos above are exceptional examples of how the variety should look according to the standards, and it will be tough to find ones that nice in a pet store.

With these fish you just have to be extra diligent to maintain perfect water quality and a stable, slightly elevated temperature. They can be really tough to keep alive. You'd be better off going with a large tank so you could keep the water level lower and still give them the water volume they'd need.

Yeah you can certainly get ones that are less rotund :teehee The less rotund ones have a better chance of being healthy anyways. The fish in the photos above are exceptional examples of how the variety should look according to the standards, and it will be tough to find ones that nice in a pet store.

With these fish you just have to be extra diligent to maintain perfect water quality and a stable, slightly elevated temperature. They can be really tough to keep alive. You'd be better off going with a large tank so you could keep the water level lower and still give them the water volume they'd need.

what bout crowns?

Crown pearlies tend to be slightly hardier. They are crossed with orandas, so they will be less rotund than the ping-pong pearlies. I think a crown pearlie would be alright as an only fish in a 15 gallon tank, because they could deal with the water level being higher than the ping pong pearlies could.

Here's a pretty nice example of one you might be able to find in a store (if it was a really nice store and you were patient enough to wait for a really nice one).

zz02_big.gif

Edited by Sakura

Crown pearlies tend to be slightly hardier. They are crossed with orandas, so they will be less rotund than the ping-pong pearlies. I think a crown pearlie would be alright as an only fish in a 15 gallon tank, because they could deal with the water level being higher than the ping pong pearlies could.

Here's a pretty nice example of one you might be able to find in a store (if it was a really nice store and you were patient enough to wait for a really nice one).

zz02_big.gif

i love that shape

Goldfish don't actually have a stomach compartment, their innards are essentially a long tube, and in all fancy goldfish this tube is compacted and wiggly rather than straight, and the more inbred the goldie the worse this is. Pearlscales are as inbred as you can get and as a result their innards are nearly in knots. They're very prone to constipation and swimbladder problems due to their shape and you really have to watch their diet, no floating food at all and small meals. They're not a beginners goldie really though you can get some hardier ones. The rounder the more problems you're likely to have with them. You will not find quality like the earlier pictures outside China really and are more likely to find something along the lines of these ones if you're lucky. My crowned pearlscale is pretty global and has been pretty robust since I've had him (top shot, side shot), but I've not seen a fish like him since even at a breeders', they usually have smaller crowns but can still be pretty round. The pic Sakura showed you is a good example of a lucky find. My bf and I are on our 4th and 5th tiku (ping-pong) pearlies, and the first 1 (here) was sick for 6 months before we lost him, and required daily care, he couldn't get upright or even swim at all in the last month and actually needed the filter to be able to breathe as he couldn't move to get water over his gills himself, and the 2nd and 3rd (here and here) we lost because the water company did something and the tap water came out at 1ppm ammonia for a while, so we don't know how long they'd have lasted for. They are very prone to buoyancy problems.

I really recommend you start with something else, maybe a ranchu, or if you're set on a pearlie definitely get a crown pearlie.

I agree with Sakura. Crown pearlies are less rounder than the tikus. Definitely a better choice if you insist on keeping pearlscales.:heart

I just wanna keep my options open for whatever catches my eye at the store when I go get my fish. Cause once it does catch my eye, ill most likely buy it andthat will be the end of that. xD SO Iam trying to learnwhat I should avoid even looking at.

I agree with Sakura. Crown pearlies are less rounder than the tikus. Definitely a better choice if you insist on keeping pearlscales.:heart

I just wanna keep my options open for whatever catches my eye at the store when I go get my fish. Cause once it does catch my eye, ill most likely buy it andthat will be the end of that. xD SO Iam trying to learnwhat I should avoid even looking at.