I Tested Banana's Lfs Water

number20121

I can't find the thread where I asked if one of you ever tested the LFS water, but today (technically yesterday as it is 12:23 am right now) after I put Banana in her QT tub I tested Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite of the water in the bag.

She had been in there for about an hour, but had not pooped.

Nitrite was 0, Nitrate was pretty much 0.

Only Ammonia was high with a tinge darker than 0.5 ppm. Not quite 1.0ppm yet, somewhere in between. Maybe around 0.65ppm. I am not sure if this was from her being in the bag, because she didn't poop. Or does her sole presence in the water raise the Ammonia level?

But overall I'm kind of positively surprised, I thought it would be way worse, considering that in her tank section (larger tank but dividers) is about 10 gallons, and there were surely a dozen more fish in there, lionheads and a few small ryukins. The tank section has its own filter, a pretty strong one.

LOL no I'm good now. XD And there was none that REALLY caught my eye. They got a lot of pretty fish there right now, I gotta say. They got a big bunch of calico telescopes and some beautiful little ryukins, a lot of gorgeous moors and super cute orange/white and calico lionheads, but nothing that caused a CLICK in my head.

They also got a new big goldi, an about 6 inch white and orange oranda. Very pretty fish, but again, no CLICK. Spicey, Chibi, Vanille and Banana caused a gigantic CLICKBANG in my head when I saw them :D They were supposed to come with me!

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Im going to test every store i get things from in there water, just to see whats going on :) this is cool :)

Dennis you changed your Avatar and confused me :o

I think Batman needed a break lol...

Obviously the longer a fish is kept inside the bag in such confined space the more hazardous and toxic the conditions will be. Once the bag is opened gases are released and the water then can become highly toxic. Sounds like your LFS had their water conditions well under control even before Banana was removed which is the way it should be all of the time. It's also not a bad idea to add a few drops of Prime after opening the bag to eliminate the buildup of ammonia. Good idea Fang checking that out! ;)

And you should get another :newfish ! :rofl

We don't want Fang to get divorced! Hubs already thinks we'rewacko.gifrofl3.gif

That's BATFISH!!!!!!!!!! In his BATtank!Naughty.gif

In my LFS they also always add a splash of some sort of water conditioner to the bag before they add the air and tie the bag up. Not sure if that is something all stores do but it sure helps to keep the fish safe during transportation.

One more reason why I love my Pet$mart, they seem to take good care of the fish. They also always ask me what other fish I am going to keep my fish in with. I even saw them talking customers out of getting certain fish :heart:

Me too, I was like WHO IS THAT??

Yeah we need it back :lol

That's BATFISH!!!!!!!!!! In his BATtank!Naughty.gif

When the time is right I shall reappear...until that time heed this:

bat-2.jpg