Red Sore On Bottom Of Goldish

Guest Rune

I have one Ryukin that keeps getting these red sores on her belly. For the most part she acts normal, but occasionally, she will hide behind objects are look straight up at the top of the aquarium while staying very close to the bottom of the tank. She doesn't bottom sit, at least, I have never seen her do this.

The fish in the tank were sick for awhile and I treated them with MediGold. After 17 days I stopped treating them and they all seem to be doing fine, except this one. She has developed a red sore right on her belly. This has happened before, and I treated with MediGold and she recovered within 2 days with the sore completely gone.

My problem is that I don't want to medicate the fish, of course, I will if I have to. I am hoping this is something other than a bacterial infection, maybe just a sore from hitting the bottom of the tank? Or possibly being pushed around by other fish.

I change the water twice weekly in a ten gallon aquarium on reserve with an airstone so that the water can sit for a few days before adding to the tank.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? .5

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.2

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops

[*]Water temperature? 83 F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 90 Gallons, 5 Months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Marineland 350 Canister Filter, Eheim 305 Canister Filter

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 10 Gallons/2x per week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 5, about 6 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Tap Water Conditioner

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Once Daily, ProGold. Twice Weekly, Spirulina Flakes.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No,

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red sore on bottom of one fish.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

I think you can start out with much larger weekly water changes. You should be doing atleast 50% once a week (the more, the better). This will help keep bacterial build up low.

Other than that you can try salting the tank if it helps. Are you familiar with this? There is a link at the bottom of my sig that explains it well. Go up to 0.1% and then to 0.2% after 12hrs.

Goodluck

Start with the increased water changes and see if that helps. I had a fish that had a large red spot on her stomach several years ago. She was in really bad shape when I finally noticed. I wanted to kick myself because I had not been keeping up with the water changes and paying enough attention to the tank. She has not had another red spot since.

Some fish are more prone to water quality issues than others.

Looks like everyone is saying the same thing...bigger w/c. Changing 10% for 5 x 6 inch fish is definitely not enough, maybe that's why your ammonia is up to 0.5ppm and at 83F is not ideal at all. First I would do a 50% w/c every two days to bring the Ammonia down to below 0.25 ( 0 if possible). Also drop the temp lower to about 76F. (GF don't need such warm temp, in China they said the most ideal temp is between 15 to 18 C and for raising fries 19 to 22C) Also please increase you dissolved oxygen. Salt is ok. but not necessary. I hope that helps if not there are other ways. Good luck.:goldfish: