10G

Deku

Hey guys. My father is only allowing me a 10gallon aquarium. I really want a goldfish. Is it possible to keep one in it and it wont be stunted? I have good filtration and equipment. Its just the space. :( I love the veiltails, broadtails, telescopes, ranchus, lionheads, pearlscales and the more pudgier ones or ones with long flowing fins, or both. Is it possible to keep one in it happy? Iam planning on either using polished river rocks, fake plants, a few live plants, airstones, a heater (its a fluval heater that keeps the temperature exact, so it wont change unless it really gets hot which is rarely). Iam also going to use a fluval filter and maybe get another type of filter just in case. But I would like your output on this. If there isnt any goldfish that can be kept in a tank this size, do you guys have any other suggestions about what other inhabitants can be on here? I prefer rounded fish in general, I also like frogs(but already have one), and I like crabs and such. Any suggestions?

D: Iam really trying hard to convince himt o let me get atleast a 15g or a 20g. But hes so stubborn, more so than a dang mule. DX

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

The kind you mentioned should be good in a 10 gal tank but you will want to make sure you dont fill the tank up with Gravel, ornaments and stuff like that. Cause it takes out the room for the water so in a since a tank that is 10 gals can turn into a 7 gal tank :(

The kind you mentioned should be good in a 10 gal tank but you will want to make sure you dont fill the tank up with Gravel, ornaments and stuff like that. Cause it takes out the room for the water so in a since a tank that is 10 gals can turn into a 7 gal tank :(

Hmm not counting the water in the filters. Lol. But anywho, would it be possible to plant a few plants and put in a small layer of river rocks? For aestethic appeal?

P.s. I also like orandas.

Edited by SolarFish

Oh sure... just make sure there isnt alot so it doesnt take up the tank water space :)

Okay. I just wish I could have been allowed atleast 46bowfront. Rofl. Just for one goldfish is totally worth it. Odd thing is, same goes with reptiles. I prefer one turtle over 2.

Well if you got a sturdy desk and a way to make sure water doesnt get to your pc you could. But i like all my tanks on there own stand :)

it is. i want it so i can watch the fish while im on the cpu

• Admin

Its not the press wood desk right, cause if those get to wet they can get soft and crumble.... Im more concerned about your pc getting wiped out by a tank or doing the water changes. Water and pc dont mix well :rofl

Maybe you could press your dad for a 15 gallon tank. They don't take up much more space than a 10 gallon, but yet it would allow a little bit more room for the fish :)

Orandas tend to get huge, so I think you should stay away from those in such a small tank. A single telescope or pearlscale would be okay in a 10-15 gallon tank with extremely minimal decor (like Koko said). They tend to stay slightly smaller on average.

Edited by Sakura

Its not the press wood desk right, cause if those get to wet they can get soft and crumble.... Im more concerned about your pc getting wiped out by a tank or doing the water changes. Water and pc dont mix well :rofl

i know :o

Maybe you could press your dad for a 15 gallon tank. They don't take up much more space than a 10 gallon, but yet it would allow a little bit more room for the fish :)

Orandas tend to get huge, so I think you should stay away from those in such a small tank. A single telescope or pearlscale would be okay in a 10-15 gallon tank with extremely minimal decor (like Koko said). They tend to stay slightly smaller on average.

how bout veiltails or ranchu?

I believe a ranchu might be OK for a ten gallon but I'd be concerned about a telescope...my Bojack is a little over one year old and she's already to 7" in length. Not much room for a fish that size so be very careful. A pearlscale maybe?

Ranchu's, Lionheads and even bubble eyed fish would do good in that size tank :)

Koko, you know that fish in your sign? The one that says koko, and has a black moor? What fish is next to it? I like that fish. Itd be awesome to see a fish like that with a dorsal fin. But he looks like a little tank. Kinda adorable. I just wished that if I get a black one it stays black but thats for another topic. Cause I would like a black one. Or a red one, with a white bottom. Lol Iam thinking that the ryukin I have with the black spot. That might be an ammonia burn. cause when I was away for 3weeks my dad was then one to take care of em, and he didnt do water changes. I just read the ammonia and it was pretty high. Apparently he lied about doing them. .____.;;; Poor fishy. The other ones have a similar spot on the mouth but its purple/black. Gah!!! my beautiful goldfish. I must get another extra filter for this 10g just in case my father forgets to do a water change when Iam away. Cause Iam going to georgia later on this year for a whole week. I dun think anyone will be home to feed the fish or look after it. Iam sure if I leave live plants itll eat em. I think. Lol. I have a fish feeder but it sucks blocks. Cause its not timed right and sometimes it gives no food and sometimes gives more food. Thatsa pain to work with. I may leave it wth those blocks that feeds em for the week. Even if they are not that nutritional---better than leaving them WITHOUT anyfood. My dad is being stingy. So he wants me to use the packet of food of fish food and not throw half of it out. Good thing I have other goldfish. Ill just buy the smallest bag. I think freeze dried foods like plankton can last longer than the 6months. They never end up stinking so. Yeah. Ived had some last me a year or so. But I like to change it as often as I can. I dont like to though cause my parents scold me saying "HOW YOU GUNNA AFFORD A HOUSE BY SPENDING ALL THIS DOUGH???" Lolol. xD How much IS progold and saki-hikari?

I hope to addorn my fishtank very pretty. Iam thinking Ill go to this petstore that sells fake flowers too for fish tanks. They have lilly pads with the flowers, they have orchids, roses, etc. I kinda just want tulips, and sunflowers. Since they are my favorite flowers. I wonder whats better looking, gravel or polished river rocks? I do wanna add some live floating plants to add some oxygen to the tank. Any recommendations for oxygenators? Iam defenitely putting two bubble walls. I love bubble walls. They have to be replaced every few months. Ca use they get clogged up. I think Iam defenitely going with a ranchu or a lion head. Which ever I find. I hope I find one of those. I really love them. Ima look around the guiide later on. Btw about the cycling. Whats the fastest way to cycle a tank? SInce I have a TON of filtration, how long should it take it? Also would I even NEED to try to cycle it? Or wont it grow the bacteria on its own by having such a huge load? Iam thinking of going to the dollar store and buying things that have alot of area space for the bacteria to reside in. Any ideas?

Also what is THE best water conditioner? In your opinion, if money was no problem what would you choose? I am very strict with conditioners and the diet. Cause some of them are not that good. Some of them smell HORRIBLE, and some have some nice effects on the fish. Some help it with the slime coat, and some help with the nitrites and ammonia. What is your guys opinions?

Sorry to ask too many question, cause I know some of the answers but I wanna make sure. You know?

Btw whats the appeal of a bubble eye or a celestial? I mean whn I was kid I liked them. But now they are not that appealing to me.

Edited by SolarFish

I guess you CAN keep a goldie in a ten gallon tank, but I would not. It just doesn't leave you much room for error & mishaps are going to happen. I have a 10 gallon (not sit up) & can't imagine even my smallest goldie living in there. I would just try to talk him into letting you get a 15 gallon tank & ensure him that you will keep it sparkling clean & beautiful with one VERY happy goldfish living in it! (Jus' my opinion!)

A Betta would be VERY happy in a 10 gallon tank!!!!!

Edited by Jeana727

• Admin

I use Amquel and others use prime both are great.

Personally I dont like the feeder blocks. Goldfish can go about 4 days with out food and not have a problem :)

The Black one is a Moor and the other one is a Ranchu goldfish :)

Iam confused. Why are they called black moor if their genes are unstable and can change colors at any given moment? Also I dont know what the appeal is to the bubble eyes. I mean they make me giggle but they're not really pretty like an oranda or ryukin.

I use Amquel and others use prime both are great.

Personally I dont like the feeder blocks. Goldfish can go about 4 days with out food and not have a problem :)

Yeah. But If Iam gone for like 1 week or so then the goldfish had problems then. So its better to have something to eat than nothing. Right? I had food spoil in those automatic feeders.

It's actually better to have nothing to eat. That way your water won't get fouled while you're gone. I went to london for a week and they didn't have anything to eat and they were just fine. Feeder blocks are often toxic and can both a. foul your water and b. Make your fish terribly sick. You know those things are made out of plaster right?

It's actually better to have nothing to eat. That way your water won't get fouled while you're gone. I went to london for a week and they didn't have anything to eat and they were just fine. Feeder blocks are often toxic and can both a. foul your water and b. Make your fish terribly sick. You know those things are made out of plaster right?

Hmmk. Good point. Now I have to say something. I watched this asian video. It was about a goldfish breed called the nankin something. It looked like half ryukin half ranchu. You know? The hump of the ryukin(the head of the goldfish is lower) and the shape of a ranchu. I MUST HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just fell in love with that. out of all goldfish I saw this one is the one that impresses me the most. Id call it stooge. xD

I've seen those. They're called Izumo Nankin. I think they're cute as top view, but the side view is not appealing to me at all. Here's a really cute video of them:

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find any of these in the U.S. though. They're pretty rare here.

Edited by Sakura

I've seen those. They're called Izumo Nankin. I think they're cute as top view, but the side view is not appealing to me at all. Here's a really cute video of them:

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find any of these in the U.S. though. They're pretty rare here.

YES THATS THE ONE! I wanna find one badlyyyyyyyy~! Where could I find oooooonnnne. I dont care if its blue or red or green. I just want one!!! Its amazing! It reminds me of so many things. c: