So My Mom Used Soap To Clean The Qt Tank...

kazaba

She was in a cleaning mood and decided to clean the empty 5 gallon acrylic QT tank I have. While I appreciated the gesture, I cringed even before she responded to my question: "What exactly did you clean it with?" :doh11:

So, she cleaned it with soap, and I'm not sure how to go about making it safe for fish again. Getting a new tank isn't really an option for me, as I don't have much $ to spend, and that 5 gallon set up has a hood, light, and filter specifically made for the model. :undecided:

I don't anticipate needing the QT tank for a while, as I'm waiting until the main tank finishes cycling before getting another fish. So I can be patient with however long it will take to get the soap out. Any suggestions on how I go about doing so???

I think you can start by rinsing it very well and then maybe soak it in a strong vinegar solution. Vinegar should get the left over soap off.

Oh, great, that sounds easy enough. Thanks. :D

Is there any way of making sure there is no soap residue left? I will be paranoid about putting another fish in there :unsure:

What kind of soap? If there was bleach or moisturizer (for skin) you need to make sure that bleach or oils are rinsed washed off. Something like Ajax or toilet cleaner would require some serious rinsing but regular dish soap isn't too bad.

I think you can run a filter in it with carbon to get any left overs out? But scrubbing with vinegar and rinsing should be enough.

As Texana said, as long as it wasn't anything too too greasy that leaves lots of residue :)

Don't worry about it, just rinse it well. My bf got hold of my 5 gallon minnow tank when I'd just bagged up the minnows for transport, he decided it needed a wash and squirted washing up liquid in it before I could say anything. I could have shot him. We rinsed it really really well and I never had any problems, the minnows were fine and it housed a betta when they got upgraded with no problems. Fish can handle trace elements of stuff, it's impossible to get away from it. Every time you put your hands in the tanks you will be introducing traces of soap, food, dust, etc etc etc and the fish are fine 99.99999% of the time. I didn't even bother with the vinegar for mine, just lots of hot water. If you leave it to dry somewhere warm, in the sun or an airing cupboard or something, the water will evaporate off quite quickly and you should be able to see any sheens of soap residue, but I don't expect there'll be any if you rinse it well enough :) I only worry about soap if it's on something that's porous like driftwood, filter media and stuff like that.

Well, that's very reassuring to hear you had no problems :) And as far as I know, she used regular dish soap, I'll have to check to make sure. So lots of rinsing with water/vinegar, and putting carbon in the filter should hopefully do the trick!

Thanks everyone! :D