How To Cycle An Aquarium

us4298

Well I just bought a new tank yesterday and I currently have no fish in my old tank, so I just moved my gravel and filter from the old tank into the new one and I also attached a new filter to the tank. Based on only the old filter medium, will I be able to cycle the new tank? more importantly without fish or pure ammonia?

Use pure ammonia (ammonia that doesn't foam when you shake the bottle) and add some to the tank. Make sure you check your water parameters daily. Do not add any fish. :D You're doing a good thing for your future fish by fishless cycling.

If you have moved the old filter over then the bacterial colonies will need feeding.The answer to your question is you will need to add ammonia to feed the beneficial bacteria, you can use flake but this is very unpredictable to say the least.

• Admin

Means that it may work using food but sometimes can cause problems, its not really a good way :)

Using filter media from an already cycled tank, and then using stuff like cycle, will make the tank cycle faster.... just a thought :)