Sick Telescope

Guest telescope boris

Guest telescope boris

I have a telescope goldfish in a 5 gallon tank. I know it's small but he has been in it since he was little and has been in it for going on a year. I'm now working on setting up a 27 gallon tank for him. Anyways, he has been very happy and healthy until just recently. I was doing regular water changes and then put flourite in my tank which made it cloud up of course. I did about 4 water changes for about 60% of the water each time with in a week to help clear it up. His tail fins had red streaks which I thought might just be from the cloudy water but the tank has been completely clear for about a week now and the streaks aren't any better if not worse. And just today I noticed he had blood in his left eye. I did a drop test for the water and my levels are all 0 and a ph of 7.5 temp 78f. Now he has been laying on the bottom of the tank and doesn't keep his dorsal fin up very much. I don't know if a combination of the water being cloudy and too much water changing and removing good bacteria made him sick. He still eats vigorously. I added a little bit of aquarium salt today and have been adding a little bit of stress coat every other day. I am nervous to use medicine because I have a dojo loach and they are scaleless fish and sensitive to certain things. My dojo, snail, and baby pleco all seem to be very healthy. Just my poor fish.

Edited by telescope boris

I would think that if your levels are all actually 0, then you might have lost your cycle, if it was cycled.

Red streaks in the fins is a sign of septecemia, which is a bacterial infection. That is usually caused by bad water quality, which might be from the lack of a cycle. I would be doing 100% water changes daily, maybe 50% twice a day, to help him. The water quality issue is probably caused by the small tank. I would remove the substrate until you get the larger tank. Adding it only decreases the gallons in the tank.

Do you have the 10X filtration?

Let me get this straight... do you have a snail, dojo loach, common pleco, and a goldfish all in a 5 gallon tank? No matter how small the fish are right now, this is way too small. Can you not afford a larger tank? Also, the pleco (if it is in fact a common) is not compatible with the goldfish. Common plecos like to eat the slime coat off of fish, and goldfish produce a lot of slime coat, so they are a favorite of plecos. You won't even know it if the pleco was munching on the goldfish because they are nocturnal, so they munch at night while the goldfish is sleeping and makes an easy target. The goldfish could be showing red streaks in its tail because it's being damaged by the pleco at night while you aren't watching. I think this is very likely, and you should: A. get larger tanks for all your fish, and B. separate the goldfish and pleco immediately. If you cannot get a larger fish tank, you can get a large rubbermaid tub (make sure it's the clear kind, because the colorful ones can leach toxins into the water) for the fish to live in temporarily. Just make sure it's fairly sturdy and can hold water.

What type of test kit are you using? I'm concerned it's not accurate because with that many fish in such a small tank you WILL have readings for something. No doubt about that. The best kit to use is the API freshwater master drop test kit. If you don't have it, I'd suggest you get it and test the tank with that.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that:

A. You need to separate the goldfish and pleco and get each a larger tank. For that one goldfish, you need a minimum of a 15 gallon tank, ASAP! The plecos (if it's a common) are meant to grow huge, fast and they need at least a 55 gallon tank.

B. The red fins on the goldfish could be caused by the pleco attacking it, poor water quality, or a systemic bacterial infection. The only way to find out which thing is causing the problem is by the process of elimination. Get a larger tank and separate the goldfish from the pleco. If the redness continues, then you know you're dealing with a bacterial infection and you can safely start some meds.

Edited by Sakura

Welcome to koko's Telescope Boris :)

First off most of us have been where you are right now :( sadly most of the local pet shops do not hand out proper information about the care of our lovely goldfish :(

But as stated above you need to make better accommodation for your fish asap,you can use a simple rubber maid storage tub for now with daily water changes,or re home some of your fish, beneficial bacterias do not live in your water,so frequent water changes are a god thing especially because of the small space you currently have your fish in :( You need at least 10 gallons of water per goldfish for the goldfish and it's the same rule for the dojo,so thats at least a 20 gallon tank,as stated the common pleco has been known to harm goldfish in there sleep and also require a much larger space of at least 55 gallons per pleco!!!there are some smaller species that have been kept with goldfish that do well though :)

How long till your 27 gallon will be ready?the sooner the better :)

Hope this helps :) maybe you can hang onto the 5 gallon for your snail or a Betta in the future :)

Guest telescope boris

Let me get this straight... do you have a snail, dojo loach, common pleco, and a goldfish all in a 5 gallon tank? No matter how small the fish are right now, this is way too small. Can you not afford a larger tank? Also, the pleco (if it is in fact a common) is not compatible with the goldfish. Common plecos like to eat the slime coat off of fish, and goldfish produce a lot of slime coat, so they are a favorite of plecos. You won't even know it if the pleco was munching on the goldfish because they are nocturnal, so they munch at night while the goldfish is sleeping and makes an easy target. The goldfish could be showing red streaks in its tail because it's being damaged by the pleco at night while you aren't watching. I think this is very likely, and you should: A. get larger tanks for all your fish, and B. separate the goldfish and pleco immediately. If you cannot get a larger fish tank, you can get a large rubbermaid tub (make sure it's the clear kind, because the colorful ones can leach toxins into the water) for the fish to live in temporarily. Just make sure it's fairly sturdy and can hold water.

What type of test kit are you using? I'm concerned it's not accurate because with that many fish in such a small tank you WILL have readings for something. No doubt about that. The best kit to use is the API freshwater master drop test kit. If you don't have it, I'd suggest you get it and test the tank with that.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that:

A. You need to separate the goldfish and pleco and get each a larger tank. For that one goldfish, you need a minimum of a 15 gallon tank, ASAP! The plecos (if it's a common) are meant to grow huge, fast and they need at least a 55 gallon tank.

B. The red fins on the goldfish could be caused by the pleco attacking it, poor water quality, or a systemic bacterial infection. The only way to find out which thing is causing the problem is by the process of elimination. Get a larger tank and separate the goldfish from the pleco. If the redness continues, then you know you're dealing with a bacterial infection and you can safely start some meds.

Guest telescope boris

Sorry the other reply was an accident I'm technologically challenged sometimes

It should be ready next week I have some of our mollies from our little baby boom in there now to help get the cycle started. The pleco is a different kind it's not a common. He is like half an inch big right now his species only gets 6". I just got him after the flourite and streaks appeared. The loach and goldfish were fine until I added the flourite which is what I think made him sick initially and he just hasn't been able to recover. I've been doing a lot of water changes and my tank was cycled. I have a topfin power filter with the carbon and a little biowheel. The tank was originally established with some neons that we moved into our 55gallon. The actual tank has been set up for at least 18 months. After we moved them I got excited about a goldfish and was planning on a bigger tank anyways but am just now getting around to it. (bad i know, I've owned fish all my life and know the size gallon rules, made a pet owners first mistake of getting too excited and buying something when not prepared.) It's just surprising he has been fine in the 5 gallon as a full grown fish with the dojo until just now.

Sakura I'm workin on my 27 gallon. The fish and loach have been in there for about a year and have been happy and healthy until the flourite. I test my tank with API drop test I just keep it very clean and even my lps said my water looks great. I do a lot of water changes so it stays really level. And trust me I've already slapped myself on the wrist about the small tank thing.

I'm obviously no expert but my best guess is the cloudiness of the flourite made him sick and then stressed and now is just unable to recover quickly. I think it may be the infection because my dojo is fine. What meds would you recommend and should I separate him to medicate?

Thank you for all your help so far!! All the pets I've owned have been super healthy and lived way past their life expectancy. It's so sad to see my poor fishie all sick.

Guest telescope boris

I would think that if your levels are all actually 0, then you might have lost your cycle, if it was cycled.

Red streaks in the fins is a sign of septecemia, which is a bacterial infection. That is usually caused by bad water quality, which might be from the lack of a cycle. I would be doing 100% water changes daily, maybe 50% twice a day, to help him. The water quality issue is probably caused by the small tank. I would remove the substrate until you get the larger tank. Adding it only decreases the gallons in the tank.

Do you have the 10X filtration?

If you remove too much water won't the tank have to cycle again? I only have a very small amount of substrate in the tank and it's settled so I'm just going to leave it since he will be in his big tank soon. Lets just hope he makes it that long.

Guest telescope boris

I've been doing them daily. I'm looking into the meds for the septicemia. I also have been adding bacteria into the water.

Haha I feel so new at this even though I've owned fish for ever. I know what I need I just need to do my research for why I need it. I'm so much better with mammals.

I'm thinking about putting my golden dojo into the 27 along with the pleco and snail as soon as I find meds and then leaving the fish in the small tank for treatment. Along with water changes of course.

Does anyone have any comments on this med:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4829&Ntt=septicemia&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=2004&Nty=1

• Supporter

i feel that your water results may be incorrect if you are experiencing the symptoms you explain.. i think somthing is wrong with your nitrates.. exactly what did you test for? please post reports of:

ammonia

nitrAtes

nitrItes

and again test PH:

what test kit did you use..

you say water changes, how much and how often.. what do you feed? and how often?

i cannot advise medications if the fish does not have a visible health problem or loss of apetite, lethargic etc.. if they are just bottom sitting, or dorsal down, it's most likely just water quality.. please do not add more salt or other medications, you may be making the water quality worse..

i feel the best treatment for your fish right now is beautiful fresh water and lots of it.. i would recommend as sakura did a huge water change and daily to better the environment of your fish

do you know exactly what salt percentage you are at?

please respond so with the info so we can help more accurately.

Hello! And yes, putting at least the goldfish in a larger container would be good. I know Wally World sells 15 gallon rubbermaid tubs for about 12 bucks or so. I just bought a 10 gallon one for about 9 bucks as quarantine tank for my new fish. Something like that would be good to have either way, that way you could maybe separate your goldfish from the other fish for now so he can be by himself while he tries to recover until the new tank is ready. As you are doing daily water changes anyway, you could just get a new little filter for it. In my area Pet$mart has a big sale on filters and I got a whisper 10 gallon filter for 10.49. This kind here http://www.nnnn.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753028

I know the filter won't be cycled but as other say it seems you lost the cycle in the 5 gallon tank, so it doesn't matter. You can later on then add this filter as an additional filter to the 27 gallon tank, as you can never have too much filtration for goldfish!

Guest telescope boris

I have been doing 50-60% the water daily. And I just looked at my test again and I tested for Nitrite and Ammonia it doesn't have a Nitrate test. Nitrite was 0 Ammonia was like .05 and I was on my way to the store anyways so I'll pick up a Nitrate test. pH is at 7.5 He lost a little bit of his appetite yesterday and lays at the bottom all day. His gill movement seems normal but he just looks around and doesn't move around much except to eat. I feed him Omega One Goldfish flakes. I feed the loach bloodworms so I'm sure he's eaten some of those too. And twice a day. The salt would only be at .05% because I did a half dose. I don't want to kill my snail Haha. I don't think it's that my levels are bad. My tank must be cycled after having been set up for so long. When my bf had the tank at his apartment with the previous neons he didn't hardly clean it or do any water changes. I scolded him. So when I brought the tank home I did a huge cleaning and all the filter media is the same besides the replaced carbon cartridge. And I add bacteria on occasion. I think it's just the water was dirty from the flourite. And with how bad the redness is on his fins I think he would need something more than fresh water. Because as I was reading septicemia is very very bad I also noticed this morning his fins are just a little bit shredded. When the flourite clouded up the tank the dojo got two itty bitty red lines in his tailfin from it but it cleared up days ago. I think he just got stressed and it weakened his immune system and I think the water changes aren't enough.

Your tank is showing .05 ammonia though, which means it is either not yet cycled, or it is cycled but is going through a cycle bump. If you dose with medications, you're still going to have to do large water changes each day (and redose the med) because ammonia in the water with medications is deadly.

The bottled bacteria stuff you're talking about most often than not doesn't work. Sure they make lots of wonderful sounding claims about how well it works, but I've used a few different brands multiple times, and I've never had the results they claim. So even though you've been adding it, it may not even be doing anything at all.

I see what you're saying. You're concerned that the water changes alone aren't doing enough to fix the problem. Let's recap his symptoms... he is sitting on the bottom of the tank all the time, he has no appetite, and he has red streaks in the fins. Right? Is there anything else going on?

Edited by Sakura

You need a bigger container ASAP!!! A rubbermaid would be fine. Despite the fact that this fish has been fine for a year-the lack of space has caught up w/ him/you. Sometimes it takes a while,but it always happens. He just will not get better in a 5g tank-you need to put him in something else if he is to get better.

"It's just surprising he has been fine in the 5 gallon as a full grown fish..."

I just wanted to add that I sincerely doubt he's full grown. :D Well, maybe so from stunting... :(

Good luck!! And Welcome to Koko's~