Emergency! My Whisper Filter Broke Down!

I just did another water change and when I plugged the filter back in, it didn't want to come back on. No humming no nothing, as if it was not plugged in. I tried again and again, switching power outlets to see if it was the outlet but no luck.

Anyone know how to fix the filter? I don't think I can afford a new one right now, unless I pay rent late .....

It is the Whisper EX 700. I can't even see how I could get to the motor without BREAKING the thing open.

I might want to add that I got it in used condition, I don't know how old it is.

I took all the media out and put it into a bowl with tank water and moved an air stone in there. I hope this will keep the BB from dying for a little bit.

IF I have to get a new filter, any recommendations for brand? Something with a quiet motor, if possible. But also something that usually lasts a while.

Aquaclear all the way. It could be just old and it sputtered out. You will do very well with an aquaclear. Tons of filtration. I have an aqueon as well but I don't like it as much as the aquaclears.

Oh my gosh, I got it to work again. I managed to take the motor apart. It didn't look like it really was stuck, but I still cleaned the parts off.

Now it works but it sure is no WHISPER filter anymore......... Rattling humming noise now. Gah. At least it is working.

EDIT: I think it was slightly blocked as the filter seems stronger now than before.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I love my Penguin 330s they have been running like a charm for a very long time now and they are in the living room so they are quiet. Did you make sure the impellor blade thingy do (yes that is the technical term) is snapped in all the way? That can make it rattle and be loud.

Whisper filters are a hard working and reliable brand...been around a long time. Sounds like the impeller just needed removed and cleaned to get it going again. It's a good idea to remove the motor assembly and rinse the impeller in used tank water once a month when performing your filter maintenance.

And Fang, I would recommend AquaClears all the way. I have five of them running right now and they do a fantastic job!

Glad to see you got the Whisper running! ;)

Edited by blackteles

My used AC 300 is anything but quiet. I can't tell with my new one though since it is in my fish room lol I'm loving the new penguins I bought. Mine are the 400s, which were on clearance for half off!