Bn Pleco Eggs!

Alright... so things have been crazy in my life for the past month, which is why I haven't been around koko's much. I just got home last night from a week-and-a-half visit to boyfriend's to keep him company in the hospital (an emergency related to a previously known disability of his... he's FINE, thank God!) to discover that the male I added THE DAY I LEFT is now guarding a clutch of pretty orange eggs! I'm having a hard time ocunting, because my silly fish decided that the CORNER of the tank was way better than all the nice rock-caves I gave them :doh11: but I'd estimate somewhere between 2 and 4 DOZEN... These guys are in the goldie tank, and I'm debating how dangerous it is to try moving them to my small tank (the cycle's been lost since I've been gone). WHEN the goldies try to eat the babies, could it hurt the goldies? I don't know how old the babies need to bee to get the "barbs" on the sides of the head to defend themselves, and I know THOSE will hurt goldies. I'm also curious about how long it'll be before the eggs hatch, and then how long after that daddy will let them run around alone. I also found out (while I was gone) that we're MOVING in TWO WEEKS! It'll be hard enough to move the big tank without all the BN fry to worry about! Don't get me wrong... I'm EXTATIC about the eggs... I just wish my fish had better timing! They couldn't have waited until AFTER the move... NOOOoooo, they had to "get busy" the instant I introduced them to each other! lol

Anyway... I'd love some input guys, and I'll be sure to take some pics of the new babies once they hatch! Can't waith to see what I get, mommy's albino, and daddy's a lovely brown :)

Gld your BF is ok :)

Congrats on your BN eggs!

They will start to hatch around day 5 or 6.... they can even take up to 8 days, so dont stress if they havent hatched after 5 days.

Its a shame they have layed them in the corner of the tank, can you put something accross the corner to protect them from the goldies? Also, while guarding the eggs, the male can get a little aggressive toward the goldies if they swim too close - another reason to protect the eggs!

With a common and albino combination, you should get a mix of both colours with the babies, although they will all hatch a light colour.

When they hatch, they will retain their egg sacs for about a week and although they will usually stay in a group, they can move around at this stage and you will get the odd escapee. It wont hurt the goldfish if they get eaten.

Once the egg sacs dissapear, you will need to feed them. A slice of zucchini is fine, also algea wafers and spirulina flakes (also hard with golfish as the they will want to eat this food too!) The the daddy will want to keep looking after them at this stage and will usually release them after about a week - 10 days - although the fact they layed in the corner of the tank will make this difficult as the babies become alot more active and mobile.

It is quite safe to move the babies into a fry saver once they've hatched if you want to save them, as they do very well without their dad at that stage - although this will be very difficult to do. Probably just easier for you to get hollowed piece of driftwood for the babies to hide in.

Now that you have a breeding pair, you will find they will breed all the time - probably every 6 - 8 weeks! I have a breeding log for mine which is closed off at one end. This makes it so easy because once the babies have hatched, I just move the whole log with the dad still inside into their own tank and they can do their thing without worrying about the goldies! :)

Good luck and keep us posted!!! :)

I also wanted to add, that I sometimes keep my male separated from the female to stop them from breeding for 2 reasons....

1. They will breed faster than what the babies will grow and you end up overun with babies, and

2. It gives the male time to have a good rest and a good feed!

I have just had my guy separated for several weeks and have only put him back in the main tank the other day - after 48 hours they had already spawned and now I have eggs waiting to hatch too!

:)

Edited by Migaloo

M'kay... so roughly a week to hatching, so they'll definitly be ready to move. I'm not terribly worried about how many survive, I'll be rehoming all of them anyway, once they're big enough. No worries about feeding them, I drop an algae wafer in there for the parents every day (it's more than they can eat, but the goldies eat anything smaller in one bite!) in the same corner where the eggs are. Watching daddy defend the eggs from the goldies is rather amusing... none of them are interested, but it's fun to watch him play "macho fish". I'll keep an eye on the goldies and if I notice that he's roughing them up, I'll figure out a way to divide the tank... hopefully (it's HUGE).

On a side note, Luna (mommy) got her fins rather shredded in the process of mating. Aside from the prime I added for today's WC, is there anything I can add to help speed up the healing process? I have a bit of stresscoat left from what I got in the deal for my tank, is it safe to mix the two?

No idea what day the eggs were laid, since I've been gone from the house for quite a while and noticed them when I got home. I'd guess not long though, I don't see anything but yolk inside the egg membranes...

I wouldnt worry about the shredded fins too much... it happens with mine too after mating. I dont bother treating them with anything as they always heal within a few days :)

You must have very polite goldish LOL - i find it almost impossible to put wafers in! My goldies can smell them and then they get into a feeding frenzy where they all fight to get at the wafer - then scales are lost and fins become torn... its a real pain actually - I have to hide the wafers where the goldies cant reach them - but they still know they're there and they still try! I never have this problem with zucchini however!

Its really hard to see the fry inside the egg. You will notice the eggs become slightly darker (more orange) and you may see a red vein in the eggs. That's when you know they are close to hatching.

Here is what the fry will look like :)

Your albinos will have red eyed and your commons will have black eyes

fry.jpg

PIC_0081.jpg

Edited by Migaloo

Oh, my goldies are FAAARRR from "polite"... they argue over the wafer like any other tank of goldies would... but by droping in a whole one, two things happen... A. Brains doesn't swallow it in ONE BITE (she does when I put in halves) and B. they get tired of the "game" before it's gone and usually leave it alone long enough for the plecos to get their share.

It's good to hear I don't need to worry about her fins... I'll keep an eye on her, just because some of those tears go nearly up to the base of the fin, but I won't obsess over it, lol.

I noticed when I got up this morning that a couple of the eggs looked "popped", there are small holes in the egg sac, and the yolk is missing. Could this have something to do with their proximity to the heater? Dumb fish decided that RIGHT NEXT TO IT was the best place, and as Bems is taking care of them, sometimes it looks like they even touch it (including the ones that are now damaged). I was thinking I needed to reach in and move the heater over a little ANYWAY before I noticed the damaged eggs, but this just reinforces it... only problem is, I'm a bit worried about him trying to attack my hand when I do :yikes Any advice on how to accomplish this safely?

Sounds like the "popped" eggs have hatched - that's what happens - they break out of the white egg casing and take the yolks with them - have they all hatched now? :)

If you want to move the heater, just move it - as long as the eggs aren't disturbed there won't be a problem. Dont know about your BN, but mine has never attacked my hand - I think it would be funny if he did though! :lol1

most of the eggs hatched yesterday... there were roughly a dozen left (the ones stuck to the glass, I suspect cuz they were cooler) and goldies ate ALL BUT ONE of the eggs that hatched yesterday during the two hrs or so I was gone from the house *facepalm*. The rest hatched this afternoon, and are currently floating in a VERY small tupperware containter. I REALLY need help figuing out what else to use... I was GOING to use a net... but goldies made enough suction to pull out the yolk THROUGH it! Poor little fishes never knew what hit them... there are 11 left (out of about 60 eggs!) in the tupperware, all are hatched. I have NO transportation until Suday afternoon besides walking and the bus. If I have to, I can make it as far as my nearest petgo, but that's about it. We're moving next weekend, and the fish are going a week from tomorrow, at which point I'll be setting the little tank back up for the fry if they're still alive, I just need something that'll buy me a WEEK without having to "babysit" water conditions in the floating tupperware.

Do you have a plastic collander? I used a floating lettuce rinsing collander for my babies . Also moved house when they were about 2 weeks old only and it was fine so dont worry too much about the move. You have had some great advice from migaloo and seem covered but if theres anything else just holler. Very excited for you,baby plecos are impossibly cute.

No, I don't have a colander... at least, not one that's both plastic and has holes small enough to keep the babies inside. The good news is that I still have TEN babies alive in my tupperware... I'm using a glass to do 100%+ w/cs several times a day (at least 3, but usually more like 4-5). It's actually not as much trouble (for now) as I'd thought it would be, I just take 3 mins of my time every time I'm up-and-about near the tank, and it's no sweat... gives my hands something to do when I'm staring at the cuteness that is baby plecos, rofl. I'll be talking my parents into going out to get the things necessary to set up my hex tank for them in the new house some time this week... I hope... we may not have time, what with the move. If not, I'll make them take me next week before turkey-day. I've also learned though all this that my male must be a carrier for the albino gene, six of my ten survivors are white as can be, with pink little dots for eyeballs :D