Neon Tetras

I keep reading now about how sensitive neon tetras are, so I wonder if I should add a different kind of fish to my in-law's 10 gallon betta tank. Some small schooling fish maybe that are less fragile but still pretty. Maybe something colorful.

Hardy though, and something the betta won't care for too much.

Any suggestions?

I use to keep gl0wlights. Tiny fish but not a lot of color. I did love the lights though. You could try 3 or 4 cory. Again not to much color but the betta wont bother them. I would stay away from to much color the betta might want to kill them.

Is it their first tank? Maybe one or 2 male guppies and a couple females? THose are pretty easy to care for and breed like mad. I also think they have pretty tails :) I don't know if you can put them with the betta, probably.

Male guppies with a betta? Really are you sure? Seems like that is way to much color. Guess it depends on the betta do you have some place to put them if it does not work?

I thought guppies are a bad idea to keep with bettas? My mother in law wants a betta for sure, and some other fish with it.

There will be 2 otos for the algae.

I read now that platys work well, I think maybe adding like 3 of them. Of the same gender if possible, but different varieties/colors.

It is her first tank I think, and most likely I will end up with the maintenance :rolleyes:

But I want to set it up simple, because I won't always be right there to take care of her fish. So not many fish so the plants and BB will take care of most of the waste and small water changes weekly to be all my mother in law has to do.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Hiya Fang,

The Neon Tetras are a bit sensitive but my group of eight Neons and Cardinals are still going strong within a year's time. The Cardinal Tetras are said to be even hardier than Neon tetras because of excessive inbreeding of Neons. I also like the Glowlight Tetras, and they come in albino as well. A small group of Cory Cats as Hidr mentioned would be great for the tank too ;) .

I'm not so sure about Cory cats. The Pet$mart description says 20gallon+ if I remember right and that they grow to 3 inches. Plus I should get at least three of them. MIL wants something more colorful too, which brought me to the platys.

Was thinking of a red one, a mickey mouse one and something else, for a nice color variety. Any experience about betta and platy?

Glowfish look nice, but not sure how great they look with just regular tank lights.

Not too much color on the Glowlights, Fang...but their neon stripe does really light up. I have seven in my tropical tank along with my Neons/Cardinals and I've always liked them.

I'm no expert on Bettas and Platys but here's a link to Betta Tankmates that may help you.

Betta Tankmates/Compatibility

The corys do get to about 3" however Panda Corys only get to 1 1/2". Corys are great fish!

Right, I didn't know about the guppy + betta mixing. I just know that those guys are virtually. unkillable. My brother (11) has them, and they are just really easy and relaxed to care for. But he has those alone.

I had Neons. I think the Cardinals are good because they don't get the Neon Tetra Disease. THey are very pretty.

Ok, I just looked into the White Cloud Minnows. Those are gorgeous, and apparently quite hardy. This seems to be a great choice! I just showed her the picture of them on the Pet$mart website and she likes them a lot. They're also quite cheap. Not that this matters, but sure is a good thing.

Thanks! I hope they work out. I googled the neons and see a lot of people saying they died within 24 hours after adding them to their tanks even though they looked healthy at the LFS. I really don't like that to happen. :undecided:

Oh yeah especially for their prices. I would quarantine the white clouds too for a bit just incase, because sometimes they come out of the feeder tanks if I'm not mistaken. :D I can't wait to see the new tank. Have you decided on plants yet?

Somebody had a post on here awhile back that had a platy in with their male betta. They said the fish were like buddies and hung out together quite a bit. Even had a cute picture of them but I can't find that post now. Anyway, so I guess that would work ok. But mountain minnows sound like a good choice also. :)

As mentioned above, neons for sale are a lot weaker due to poor breeding practices, cardinals are a better choice as they are more tolerant.

I have kept glowlight tetras for many years and they are an excellent choice, their colouration is brilliant and they do have quite a long lifespan compared to some of the other Tetra species.

I was talking to the lady at the LFS and she said that I (my mother in law) shouldn't keep ANY other fish with the betta, because you can never know. She said she knows cases of where the betta even went after the peacefull oto-fish. She said the only thing that normally is safe are african dwarf frogs, but I know she won't want a frog, being too scared that it would get out.

Maybe an apple snail instead then and if the betta starts harassing it, I could put it in with my snails.

I once had a betta which I kept in a fish bowl and I would occasionally move it to my main tank for a few minutes and when I did, it would immediately spring into action by trying to attack the other fish, it even challeneged my crayfish, before I split them up, fearing what the cray would do to him.

Hiya Fang,

The Neon Tetras are a bit sensitive but my group of eight Neons and Cardinals are still going strong within a year's time. The Cardinal Tetras are said to be even hardier than Neon tetras because of excessive inbreeding of Neons. I also like the Glowlight Tetras, and they come in albino as well. A small group of Cory Cats as Hidr mentioned would be great for the tank too ;) .

Very true. Since neons are also cheap, the producers don't usually bother to select their quality anymore so inbreeding has always been the issue with neons along with other moneymakers such as dwarf gouramis. Most of the cardinals sold way back in 2006 were wild caught and while a bit sensitive because of that, they tend to be very hardy in the end once established. Far more immune to health issues than neons do.

Cardinals > Neons

I see, thanks Lupin! But I'm trying to convince her to just keep the betta in there. I think he's gonna be happier that way. He also likes that there is not filter to cause current, he is swimming around more now than with the filter, and with only one betta in the planted 10 gallon tank I doubt the filter is necessary. I'll add a weak 1.5 watt air pump though for surface agitation to prevent the water to become stagnant.

I doubt you'll need an airpump with a betta there since they can breathe well in oxygen low waters. Though if you don't have a glass cover, the stagnant water looks unsightly with dust floating.