Ash In Goldfish Food

number20121

Because I just noticed that my Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish Food Color Enhancing contains 20% crude ash. That is a lot more than in the Omega One I used to feed them, which contains only 8% ash.

Can someone enlighten me here, please? :)

EDIT: I'm asking because in one of the gel food threads someone mentioned how gel food is better because you know what is in there since a lot of store bought food contains some ash. Seemed like ash was nothing too desirable in the food, or maybe I misunderstood it.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Ash comes from bone & shell, the percentage of ash above 10% usually indicates left over white fish, shrimp or loster heads are used. On the other hand if the ash contain is extremely low and the first 3 ingredients are not listed as fish meal or krill, then most likely the main protein source is derived from soybean. Ash content between 8 & 10 % is what you can expect from a good fish food.

Saki Hikari is supposed to be really high in protein, so 20% ash probably just means they used a lot of left over white fish, shrimp or lobster heads then. I'd say it's alright. But that is just my best guess.