Need Help With Info

Deku

Hey guys. Iam here to learn more about goldfish. I know that they're not strict vegetarians. Infact in the wild they consume a great deal of bugs, larvae, snails and other such. But that they also consume plant matter and require it in their diet.

I feed my goldfish hikari-doesnt enhance their colors like it said it would. I got some questions. Why did my orange ryukin get a random black polkadot in its head? I kinda dont like it. Is there a way to get its original color back? Also IAm thinking of setting up another goldfish tank(the goldfish are in a 55g atm). Cause I want a single specimen goldfish tank. I would strongly like to have just one goldfish in this tank. Id like to set up a smaller tank like 10-15 gallons. Is that enough for just a single goldfish? I mean I have good filtration(fluval 305), and I wanna put in airstones.

Should I use gravel or large smooth river rocks(polished)?

What would pretty much make a goldfish colors pop out and look natural? I was thinking black gravel but I dont know. I get a weird feeling about it. I defenitely do not want brown gravel. Tired of looking at it. I may go for blue or green gravel or even white. Id like polished stones more though. I dont know. Or even black sand. I want to use some fake plants the I like especially. They look a little bit like anachris but not really. I dont know its just a typical fake plant. I do wanna add anachris, duckweed(is wild caught bad? Or where can I find it?) I also like swords and such. I am thinking id buy some fake small lilly pads with the flower on top to make it look like a miniature pond. I want to buy the goldfish atleast 2inches and no less in size. If the fishs color is bound to change is there a goldfish color that wont ever change? Is there a way to make it not change? Like if I get a red capped oranda it wont get a random orange on the sides(on the belly its fine- I just dislike anything that isnt simetrical. Mainly colors. ) Id like to go for a different goldfish or a more expensive kind(not over 50though.) I love round shaped goldfish. Like the pingpongs. I saw a picture of a "pearlscale goldfish" and I liked it too. It looked like a redcapped oranda in color except it was rounder.

Do you have any links to fullly grown ping pong goldfish?

What is the absolute best foods to give? Id like to give a varied diet. Id like to keep the colors, bright and shiny. I know that I should feed spirulina, krill, plankton and other stuff to them. I was thinking maybe I could prepare my own foods for them? I could use a blender and maybe study their diet and put the stuff in the blender, add in some vitamins, and calcium and then put it in with clear gelatin. i was thinking could you use human grade pills and put it in the food? Like vitamins and other stuff? I heard someone saying you could(it was for reptiles). I want to have really healthy goldfish. Though I just want a single one in the new tank. I was hoping I could be pointed to a good online breeder?

Ps I also like fantails and ryukins

Edited by SolarFish

I'll try to answer most of your questions that I can!

Yup, goldfish are omnivores. I feed mine Hikari lionhead, bloodworms, peas and the occasional cucumber slice! Some other goldfish keepers here make their own goldfish gel food. There is more on food in the goldfish food section. As for the colour-enhancing effects of Hikari, I'm not too sure. Is yours one of the specific colour enhancing formulas? I have found that hikari lionhead does brighten the oranges, reds and yellows in my fish, and my ranchu has deepened in colour since I started feeding it to him. However, it can only do so much, depending on the genetics of the goldfish.

As for black, I have only heard of ways to enhance black (ie. green water, sunlight, ect), not reduce it. It's usually considered desirable, but it is odd to only have one spot. Perhaps your goldfish is a minimal calico? The only other thing I can think of is ammonia burns, but those usually present on the fins.

A goldfish should theoretically be okay in a single specimen tank. For a single fancy goldfish, depending on the type, I would highly recommend giving it around 15-20 Gallons. This should ensure that it can grow to it's full potential! A fluval 305 and an airstone should be plenty filtration and aeration.

Substrate is really a personal choice. As I decided to do a planted tank, I went with natural river gravel. I keep it at around 1-2 inches for easy gravel vacuuming each week. River stones look great, but you want to make sure you can pick up most of the poo/food that will fall between them. Bare bottom is the easiest to maintain, and can also look quite striking!

Most pond/garden stores will have excess duckweed, and usually will sell it very cheap. Don't use wild caught, as it can bring in parasites, bugs, and other nasties.

Most goldfish will change colour to some extent. Red and red/white seems to be the most stable, with black, tri-colour and panda colours being the most unstable. But it changes from fish to fish. Most goldfish change colour dramatically while they are still young. If you purchase an older goldfish, it's colour is more likely to be stable.

Yes, you can make your own goldfish food, but do not use human vitamins or supplements, either for goldfish or reptiles! The amount and type of vitamins and supplements meant for a human can be detrimental to other species! I wouldn't risk it without expert advice from an experienced breeder or veterinarian. Hopefully someone more experienced in making gel food can come along and help you out.

There are not too many goldfish breeders around, one I know of for sure is raingarden.us. There are a few goldfish auctions online that sell amazing fish too, namely goldfishconnection and goldfishnet. For long finned fish, look up veiltails. wink.gif

I'll try to answer most of your questions that I can!

Yup, goldfish are omnivores. I feed mine Hikari lionhead, bloodworms, peas and the occasional cucumber slice! Some other goldfish keepers here make their own goldfish gel food. There is more on food in the goldfish food section. As for the colour-enhancing effects of Hikari, I'm not too sure. Is yours one of the specific colour enhancing formulas? I have found that hikari lionhead does brighten the oranges, reds and yellows in my fish, and my ranchu has deepened in colour since I started feeding it to him. However, it can only do so much, depending on the genetics of the goldfish.

As for black, I have only heard of ways to enhance black (ie. green water, sunlight, ect), not reduce it. It's usually considered desirable, but it is odd to only have one spot. Perhaps your goldfish is a minimal calico? The only other thing I can think of is ammonia burns, but those usually present on the fins.

A goldfish should theoretically be okay in a single specimen tank. For a single fancy goldfish, depending on the type, I would highly recommend giving it around 15-20 Gallons. This should ensure that it can grow to it's full potential! A fluval 305 and an airstone should be plenty filtration and aeration.

Substrate is really a personal choice. As I decided to do a planted tank, I went with natural river gravel. I keep it at around 1-2 inches for easy gravel vacuuming each week. River stones look great, but you want to make sure you can pick up most of the poo/food that will fall between them. Bare bottom is the easiest to maintain, and can also look quite striking!

Most pond/garden stores will have excess duckweed, and usually will sell it very cheap. Don't use wild caught, as it can bring in parasites, bugs, and other nasties.

Most goldfish will change colour to some extent. Red and red/white seems to be the most stable, with black, tri-colour and panda colours being the most unstable. But it changes from fish to fish. Most goldfish change colour dramatically while they are still young. If you purchase an older goldfish, it's colour is more likely to be stable.

Yes, you can make your own goldfish food, but do not use human vitamins or supplements, either for goldfish or reptiles! The amount and type of vitamins and supplements meant for a human can be detrimental to other species! I wouldn't risk it without expert advice from an experienced breeder or veterinarian. Hopefully someone more experienced in making gel food can come along and help you out.

There are not too many goldfish breeders around, one I know of for sure is raingarden.us. There are a few goldfish auctions online that sell amazing fish too, namely goldfishconnection and goldfishnet. For long finned fish, look up veiltails. wink.gif

Thanks. I once Bought this oranda from a petstore I worked at.... I bought it because I grew fond of it... Nobody would buy it(it was highly prized), and at some point it was getting sick. The manager said to let it die, so I told him Id buy it from him if hed let me cure it in the store first. I told him that he charged 40x as much as he originally purchased it(they cost to the store 10-30cents. and they sell em for like 10bucks or so, this one was up for 16) I was so in loved with this oranda(it was a red capped oranda). It was flipping perfect. Perfect colors, perfect scales. Everything about it was perfect. Sad part about it. It ended up dying. But I loved it so much I kept going on with goldfish. Thats why I wanted a long tailed goldfish cause this one had a really nice tail. Ill go look em up. Thanks. :) How much can I expect to pay for a veil tail or a ranchu? Or an oranda? Or a ryukin? Like say show quality(I dont really wanna enter a show, but for my visual pleasure)?

Oooo em geee(lol), I love the flippin vieltails!!! SO much. I think a complete white one would look awesome. Or maybe a black one. Iam thinking id set up a 15g. Maybe a 20 if it fits on my desk and leave room for my computer. I mean right now theres a 30g, but the computer barely fits.

Edited by SolarFish

Show quality fish are more costly, and often you won't find them in pet stores. Goldfish connection has auctions on beautiful show quality fish, but they get sold for up to a couple hundred bucks.

Raingarden sells beautiful fish too. Here's their variety of veil tails http://www.raingarde...sh-veiltail.htm

Orandas http://www.raingarde...fish-oranda.htm

Ryukins http://www.raingarde...fish-ryukin.htm

But honestly, petstores often carry REALLY pretty fish that may not be considered show quality, but turn out to be absolutely gorgeous fish. I bought all my fish at Wally World and Pet$mart, except for Vanille which is from a non-chain LFS. She is a ryukin, but not show quality, because she will not grow a BIG hump. Yet her deep red color and her tail are absolutely STUNNING. Well, at least I think so :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Show quality fish are more costly, and often you won't find them in pet stores. Goldfish connection has auctions on beautiful show quality fish, but they get sold for up to a couple hundred bucks.

Raingarden sells beautiful fish too. Here's their variety of veil tails http://www.raingarde...sh-veiltail.htm

Orandas http://www.raingarde...fish-oranda.htm

Ryukins http://www.raingarde...fish-ryukin.htm

But honestly, petstores often carry REALLY pretty fish that may not be considered show quality, but turn out to be absolutely gorgeous fish. I bought all my fish at Wally World and Pet$mart, except for Vanille which is from a non-chain LFS. She is a ryukin, but not show quality, because she will not grow a BIG hump. Yet her deep red color and her tail are absolutely STUNNING. Well, at least I think so :D

Hmm the reason I wanted a show quality one is because I strongly do not like it when the color changes(Iam kinda weird like that). I wanted to get a white veil tail. That is completely white(not pink, think of a pearl). Just because I went on youtube and saw a white one and it looked stunning!!! I dont know how old I should buy it so that the color wont change. My common goldfish used to be white and now have a large orange patch. Id like to find a store that has a ton of goldfish where I live. That the store itself is based on goldfish. You know?

Ps: though I do like that broad tail black moor in the raingarden.us

Edited by SolarFish

To be honest they will rarely have goldfish only stores. White veil tails are extremely rare in the U.S., and online you're looking at a steep price tag. $80-$200 is a good price for any show quality fish. The sizes vary as well. A baby show quality fish might be around $30-$50.

• Admin

The other thing, is the food sometimes causes fish to change color. There are color enhancing foods out there, that will make reds more red and oranges more bright... :)

The other thing, is the food sometimes causes fish to change color. There are color enhancing foods out there, that will make reds more red and oranges more bright... :)

snap. I did saw for sale ranchus in that store I mentioned once. They were going for 6. But they were multicolored ones. Ranchus remind me of cows. xD Though this is the same store with all the dying animal and terrible knowledge. Yes most stores do have dying animals. But id rather see them getting cleaned out, than letting them rot causing further problems for the current inhabitants. Maybe id set up two tanks. A quarantine and the main tank. and id only buy large goldfish(4-5inch es at minimum) I do know of this chinese store in nyc. That carries lost of goldfish and they do focus on goldfiish more than other fish. They say they are show quality but have a steep price of 200bucks(some of them) and the others are like 30bucks. But is it worth it to drive to nyc just to buy a fish? I did that once but it died.

Also, I don't think it matters if the fish is show quality or pet store quality when it comes to changing colors. After all it is genetics and I wish Dennis was here to do his batman voice version of the chocolate box quote.

Unless its a calico I don't like color changes. I guess Iam very stuck into simetry. Even calicos Id prefer to buy one that if it has a spot on one side, itll have it on the otherside. Iam very picky. I figured "If i have to pay an arm and a leg id rather it be what I want". I would pay 50bucks for a fish. But then again I wouldnt want to because what if it dies? they wouldnt replace it(obviously). Then thats 50bucks down the drain. I did saw this store that was run by jackie chan(kinda weird because I just thought he was a movie actor and fighter not a goldfish breeder).

Urgh stupid fish water got in my eye. I know this is out of topic, but do you guys know a way to cure an irritated eye due to fish water? I was cleaning(right now) the goldfish tank(water change) and some of the water splasshed in my eye and it burns. I ran to the faucet and tried to clean it out, but I still have that feeling like somethings in my eye and its irritating it. Iam asking cause you guys must have had this happen to you sometime or another. One time it went in my mouth. I brushed for hours. I was so grossed out(thought of fish poop water in my mouth gave me the willies, that and I dislike sea food with apassion). Anywho. I guess Iam extremely selective with color and everything. One thing I would like to know. Is how can you train a goldfish to feed from your hand? I remember I had one and it did it on its own. But I want this goldfish to not be afraid.

Ps is bamboo safe for goldfish? And are those air stone ornaments from nnnn the ones that are dragons(ceramic) and shoot bubbles through its mouth safe?

Just rinse it with clear, luke warm water. It will feel irritated from being rubbed and rinsed, but it will get better!

I think you should definitely go for a larger fish then, because adults most likely won't change color too much anymore. And being picky with the looks is fine, everyone has their preferences. I personally am a total sucker for having a variety of completely different looking goldfish.

Just rinse it with clear, luke warm water. It will feel irritated from being rubbed and rinsed, but it will get better!

I think you should definitely go for a larger fish then, because adults most likely won't change color too much anymore. And being picky with the looks is fine, everyone has their preferences. I personally am a total sucker for having a variety of completely different looking goldfish.

It feels better cause Iam not touching it anymore. It still stings a little bit but ill take a shower soon and then itll go away. I guess if i cant find a vieltail id go for a ranchu.

That's the risk with goldfish keeping. They all come at a price and all will eventually die, but I don't think it's any worse than us spending money on more expensive things. I would not put bamboo in a goldfish tank at all. What size is your tank?

That's the risk with goldfish keeping. They all come at a price and all will eventually die, but I don't think it's any worse than us spending money on more expensive things. I would not put bamboo in a goldfish tank at all. What size is your tank?

Its going to be either a 15g or a 20g. Hopefully a 20g. :) Iam using a fluval 305. Maybe a hang on the back filter for water flow(I love the sound of cascading water). An air stone(two or four actually, 2 long pannels and 2 dragon air shooting ornaments. on both corners of the tank). I wanna use some plants youd find in ponds, Iam using fake lilly pads(the smaller lillies.) Id like a few live plants and the rest will be fakes.

Don't use the dragon bubblers or any hollow ornaments period. They contain stagnant water and will kill your fish. With a 15 gallon you can keep one fancy. I would try and get the biggest tank you possibly can. Show quality goldfish won't do as well in a small tank of 15 gallons. I would put one in a 20 gallon. If you're starting out with those, I would get a baby so you can have some leeway.

When you get a filter make sure it has a flow rate of 10x the gallons of your tank. For example, if you have a 20 gallon tnak you want a filter that puts out 200 gallons or more per hour.

If you can help it. I wouldn't use gravel. Are you going to do a fishless cycle?

Oh I see, you don't have a fish currently. I thought you said you had one. Oops!

20 gallon minimum would be great for the fish, that way he has sufficient room to swim and grow. Live plants might get eaten up by the fish, they just love that stuff.

Don't use the dragon bubblers or any hollow ornaments period. They contain stagnant water and will kill your fish. With a 15 gallon you can keep one fancy. I would try and get the biggest tank you possibly can. Show quality goldfish won't do as well in a small tank of 15 gallons. I would put one in a 20 gallon. If you're starting out with those, I would get a baby so you can have some leeway.

When you get a filter make sure it has a flow rate of 10x the gallons of your tank. For example, if you have a 20 gallon tnak you want a filter that puts out 200 gallons or more per hour.

If you can help it. I wouldn't use gravel. Are you going to do a fishless cycle?

I do have fish.

But they are in the 55g

The biggest tank I could possibly get is something around 20gs or 30gs if I decide NOT to put it on my computer desk which would beat the point of it(not really but in a way.). Id probably look at the fish more often if its within my range(I have exact daily routines, I dont like to stray from them unless Iam doing something exciting like going to six flags or going to the beach or etc).

I do want a nice goldfish to keep. Id rather not upgrade for the time being. I dont have the tank yet and Iam discussing it with my father. I have everything but the tank, light and substrait. I would prefer to use river stones the polished ones. Just because they're prettier and hold the ornaments down better. I would use sand, but it gets stuck in the filters. I do not want to go for a bare tank, because it will be dull to me. I wont use the dragon ornaments then.

River stones are a nice idea. About 40% of my tank bottom is covered in river stones, the rest is bare. I think it looks neat, because the tank is on a metal stand and so I can look at the fish from underneath. I actually prefer these over gravel!

River stones are a nice idea. About 40% of my tank bottom is covered in river stones, the rest is bare. I think it looks neat, because the tank is on a metal stand and so I can look at the fish from underneath. I actually prefer these over gravel!

mine is of wood. :P