How To Move Goldfish Without Stress?

Guest CloeGold

Guest CloeGold

One year ago I saved 9 goldfish from a bad pond into a 50g tank. I related the story in another post. They/we have all survived :doh11: They have become sweet pets and I love them much. However now they have grown so big I decided to give them up to our local Sierra Water Gardens who are happy to adopt them. Believe me this is not easy but I think necessary for their well being(although they seem quite content in the aquarium). I hate to cause them stress and am wondering if there is a gentle way to transfer them from the tank to plastic bags/buckets and then about 20 minutes to the pond? Should I feed them before perhaps? Also I'm thinking about keeping the smallest (about 1.5") and then continuing with a few fancies that won't grow to humongous proportions . . . :no: This is really really hard . . .

Don't feed them before transport. You can get a bowl (like an eating bowl) to put them into bags and buckets, or use your hands. If you use your hands make sure you get them soaked with water and coated with stresscoat or something to keep them slimy. Bucket transport would probably be your best bet.

I wouldn't keep one of the small ones either. I would let him go to the pond too where he can reach his full potential. That way you can get 4-5 fancies without them having to compete for food with the common. :)

Moving goldfish without stress is unfortunately impossible, but you can minimise it. If you're using tank water make sure it's right after a water change so it's as clean as possible, if you want to use completely fresh water (and for a journey as short as yours it really doesn't matter) make sure it's pH and temp matched to your tank, swinging water conditions will be stressful. If you've got Prime it's worth adding a dose to the bag to neuk any ammonia produced in the trip.

With my bigger fish I usually line a bucket with a bin liner (trash bag?! Don't know what you call them over there!), put the fish in there and tie it off with as much air in as possible. I fill the bucket about halfway so it easily covers the fish but doesn't weigh a ton. Bagging the fish individually will be less stressful as there's only 1 poop producer per bag but this may require you to do multiple trips. Your call. On a trip as short as yours I wouldn't be too worried as long as the fish are covered so not going to be stressed by bits hanging out the water, and the water's clean. The method I've described is what I use and I take fish up and down the UK on what is sadly becoming a regular basis. I've never had any problems with them on arrival.

Guest CloeGold

Thank you both very much. Such good advice, I appreciate. The pond people gave me a couple large plastic bags which I can place either in one or in two big buckets and I will try to move them with my hands as they are used to them. Though it is hard, I'm rejoicing to give them to a better habitat. :D then maybe I'll think of getting some fancies... won't forget my nine Goldies though.We learned a lot together.DSCN0002-1.jpgDSCN0030.jpg

Don't feed them before transport. You can get a bowl (like an eating bowl) to put them into bags and buckets, or use your hands. If you use your hands make sure you get them soaked with water and coated with stresscoat or something to keep them slimy. Bucket transport would probably be your best bet.

I wouldn't keep one of the small ones either. I would let him go to the pond too where he can reach his full potential. That way you can get 4-5 fancies without them having to compete for food with the common. :)

I agree :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CloeGold

I agree :)

Today was the day :doh11: Yes, today I moved my 9 sweeties to the Sierra Water Gardens. 3 good friends helped me and I tried to do it gently, but of course they must have been quite traumatized. It was a lovely day but the pond water was much colder than there were used to . . . Anyway they dipped the plastic bag in for quite a while, then let them go. A little black oranda came up to see what was going on but most of the fish are already down under. Two of the goldies lay on their sides and I was worried, but when gently prodded, slowly moved. I hope they'll be OK, was probably a bit late to move them but I have hope as they are so strong. The couple with the pond really admired them for their beautiful color and seeming perfect health. It is a bitter sweet day. A page turned in my fish keeping adventure . . . :-\ Many grateful thanks for all your kind help.