Is It Safe To Adopt Again?

sunnygirl

I have 2 albino cory's in my tank that I have had for over 5 years. The 3rd died awhile back and I never got more as the remaining 2 came down with bacterial infections that destroyed their barbels and fins (fins have partially regenerated but the barbels have not). With the female, I have noticed some behavioral changes as well as the fact that they are schooling fish, which have me wondering if they might do better if I get 1-2 more cory's. Do I need to worry about the bacterial infection they had (it started over 6 months ago and the other cory died close to a year ago) and how do I know it has gone away, other than they aren't getting worse physically? I know having more would be socially beneficial to the 2 I have, but I think it would be cruel to put more in there only to have them come down sick.

* So in a nutshell, how do I know the bacterial infection is gone and that it is safe as safe can be to get more? I have put it off this long because I was worried about putting more fish in the tank, but they really need more to be healthy.

* If it would be OK, would you foresee a problem with getting the new ones which would be so much smaller (the female is over 2 inches long)? They have lived with a small school of neon tetras in the past, but not for some time now. I was also thinking of adding more tetras or another type of fish again as well, (a cleaning fish or snail maybe, but have to look into), but not all at once, cories first, then consider others. Also, I know if I want eggs another male like I had is good, but I don't want eggs, so would another female be OK socially speaking (if it even matters at all)?

Thanks for your advice!

Sounds like they are over the illness. How many water changes have you done since they finished treatment? With cory size don't matter they don't beat up on each other normally.

If you have the room I would have at least 6 cories. Sex should not matter.

I've noticed with my cories that their fins seem to regenerate more slowly than other fish for some reason. Also, if you don't have sand substrate I would recommend it as that's what cories prefer and it may help their barbels. Just a thought...

If you're Neons are doing well for this length of time plus your remaining Corys then I believe that your troubles are over and it would be safe to add more. Keeping your Corys to a group of 6 or more (any species combined) makes them feel safe and quite content. I have 7 in my tropical tank and they all do well together. Just stay on your water parameters and routine water changes and they'll do fine! ;)

Thank you all for your input. I think I know one thing that we will be getting for Christmas! A snail to help keep it clean will be very helpful with left over food trapped in the plants as I am due with our 3rd in Jan and also do after school care, so time ins more limited and to do a thorough cleaning takes over an hour, for this one tank alone.

It has been months since they had their last treatment, so there is no worries about meds still being int he tank.

The fins have regenerated many times over the past year, but the ones closest to their gills (sorry can't remember proper name)and the barbels are really slow to regenerate (barbels haven't at all). I have small gravel and small/med sized rocks in the bottom of the tank for the plants, and for the last 5 years their hasn't been any kind of problem.

Thanks!!