Amquel+

I needed to find out how often it is safe to use this. We will be away for 10 days and the people watching our fish will be unable to continue with the regular water changes needed to control the ammonia and nitrites in our tank. The pet store near us suggested this, but with the readings we get each day it would be necessary pretty much daily. Anyone use this?

Also anyone know how it affects the API ammonia test readings? I'm getting 0 ammonia readings after 12 hours and around 1.0 after 24 but the nitrites are around 5.0ppm after 24 hours. We did a test run with the Amquel+ for the last two days but will be doing water changes again for the next 3 days (we leave Saturday morning right after the water change is done). It has generally been taking 3 back to back 50% water changes to get ammonia and nitrite levels down without any chemical assistance.

Thanks in advance.

3 goldfish in the tank. The tank is definitely overpopulated at this point. I just posted on the general forum with a question about changing them to the new tank we got immediately before we leave or chancing it in the problem overpopulated tank.

• Admin

i would only effect the test alittle like off of about .5 so if its showing 1.0 after 24 hours hun you will need to keep up with the water changes until you can get a bigger tank and alot of filtration hun :(

We opted to change over to the new tank immediately. We bought a new 55 gallon and set it up yesterday. Have all the old media transferred to the new tank and a second filter as well as a bubble wall the full length of the tank for more air flow now. We figured the chances for the fish was better in a new untested tank with lots of room than in a way over crowded tank where there was no hope of water changes. Feeding will be every other day and Amquel+ will be added 5 days in as a precaution. As soon as we're back we'll be testing water and changing as much as needed.

We tested the water before we left yesterday morning and the ammonia was 0 ppm, nitrite 1 ppm, and nitrate between 0-5 ppmm. Kind of threw us off as to how we could have nitrite, but no ammonia. I threw in some Amquel+ since we were heading out the door. I've asked my parents to add Amquel+ every other day to help keep the system in check since no water will be getting changed out until we return on the 17th. We have 2 pumps going, one runs 240 gph and the other 340 gph. As well we have the entire length covered with a bubble wall... when it holds on anyhow. Also the air clam. Feedings have been cut back to once every other day during our vacation as well.