Emotional Goldfish

ashlee18

So my two panda teles are sisters and have been together their whole lives. That was until Butters developed dropsy. So I removed her and left her sister Tweek in the tank with three of my other fish. She went into immediate depression. She stopped eating and got herself stuck to the filter much to my horror. I immediately removed her and placed her into her sisters hospital tank assuming there was something medically wrong with her. Nope. She just wanted her sister back. So I left them together for two weeks and Butters got better and right before I was going to put her in the main tank again her scales popped out again. Talking top people here, we deemed it best to remove her sister again for the better water quality. I hoped that with the addition of the two pearlscales to the tanks she wouldn't be so depressed. Boy was I wrong. Within two days she had herself stuck to the filter by her eyeball!!!! I moved her back with her sister and she started swimming around giving me the "what's up mommy" look.

So she has gotten her way and you know what, goldfish really are smarter than people give them credit for. I also didn't know goldfish could be so attached to one another.

• Admin

That just shows you right there hun, goldfish get attached to other fish....

Kinda close to this is when Tango passed away a few months after I moved, then Mongo just went down hill cause his buddy was gone. He was very depressed and would hang out in one corner of the tank and wouldnt go around the tank with any other fish.

Aaaawwwww! Bless you little fishy! I never really appreciated goldfish were so social, I had one fish on his own for 2 years, I always felt so guilty that he didn't have a friend. I managed to upgrade my tank back in January and added three more fish. They became fast friends and they all follow each other around all the time! Its soooooo cute! :D

This is why I say that goldfish can be kept alone, but they sure enjoy each other's company. Same with Hugo and Orange Fishie, Orange Fishie follows Hugo around constantly. When I thought that O.F. was a boy I thought it was a romance thing, but now that I know that both are girls it is even cuter!

That's so cute Ashlee. My two comets do everything together, too. They're best friends. :) Hope I never do have to separate them for health reasons...

Nawww.... that's so sweet how they are so attached to one another - but I guess its also a pain when you have to separate them if one gets ill and then the other gets separation anxiety! :rolleyes:

That is such a cute story. :wub: My common Fern had a rosy danio with him for over two years, they followed one another all the time. I recently had to give the danio away because he was becoming aggressive but now Fern is not quite himself. I'm sure our fish can get very attached to each other. :)

• Admin

Right now in my tank the 4 of them are in pairs now.... the littlest ones are always together and the other two that are bigger stay together all the time, of course Curly just showed me he's a boy in a tank with 3 girls... OH boy this will be fun this spring in the koko home :rofl

Well as it turns out, separating them was a very bad idea. They both had flukes when I got them but Tweek had a worse case. I think her depression let them get a better hold on her. Even with the super clean tank and the 3x prazi treatment, the flukes are still killing her. She is once again separated from her sister since Butters was bugging her. Butters really wanted to play...kinda cute and sad at the same time.

And let this be a lesson to you all. Treat flukes as soon as you confirm it, don't wait like I did :(

On the bright side, Butters is once again back to her normal and will be returning to the big tank soon.