Toys

npila1

Hi guys, I know this is a silly question, and I apologize in advance, but I've been wondering whether there are any toys for goldfish... My goldies are very active and playful (they love playing with the bubbles from the airstone and pushing the airstone/tubing around) and I was wondering if there is anything I can buy for them to play with!

I saw in some book about goldfish that different decor, such as bridges they can swim under or something with hoops they can swim through can keep them entertained. I don't know if there are actual toys, just decorations that can hold their attention.

I saw in some book about goldfish that different decor, such as bridges they can swim under or something with hoops they can swim through can keep them entertained. I don't know if there are actual toys, just decorations that can hold their attention.

Cool, thanks :)

So I just came across this video and I wanted to share it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfGXO98UF4

Apparently, these balls are called "water marbles." They look fun, but even though the guy says they are safe, I'm still not convinced...

Looks like they're having fun! Although I think there are too many marbles in there.

The thing that entertains my fish the most is a simple slice of cucumber floating at the surface. Keeps them entertained for two days, then the cucumber is gone :D

Those look really neat! I wonder if they are safe. What I can find says they are made of a type of polymer. Says non-toxic, but many things may be non-toxic to humans, or pets like dogs or cats, but may still be harmful to other creatures. I have learned this with my birds, and fish...for example some foods are harmless for us, but toxic to parrots (avocado is one example).

Those look really neat! I wonder if they are safe. What I can find says they are made of a type of polymer. Says non-toxic, but many things may be non-toxic to humans, or pets like dogs or cats, but may still be harmful to other creatures. I have learned this with my birds, and fish...for example some foods are harmless for us, but toxic to parrots (avocado is one example).

Yeah exactly, that's why I was skeptical about it, too! But it does look fun, so I was tempted :)

It would be nice to know what they are made of, if it's an inert polymer, then it should be safe. (But I'm hesitant to try it).

I found this website that sells them: http://www.spectrum-scientifics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=1129

But they don't say what they are made of, so I emailed them to find out. I will update you when I hear back from them, so if you are interested in finding out, check this topic in a while :]

This is what they said in their reply:

They are perfectly safe as they are in the water absorbing family of Sodium Polyacrylates - which are completely non-toxic and even used in baby diapers. They should be fine for fish but I would grow them in a separate bowl first and then add them to your aquarium. If you add them straight the fish might think they are food and eat them - that would be bad once the marbles expand.

This is what they said in their reply:

They are perfectly safe as they are in the water absorbing family of Sodium Polyacrylates - which are completely non-toxic and even used in baby diapers. They should be fine for fish but I would grow them in a separate bowl first and then add them to your aquarium. If you add them straight the fish might think they are food and eat them - that would be bad once the marbles expand.

"Should" be? Hmmmm.... they don't sound too convinced themselves :unsure:

Just keep one wall of your tank covered with algae. It keeps them busy and entertained.

The algae near the exits of the filters is (according to my goldfish) super tasty. So you often see them racing to get at it or one somersaulting or floating past, when they had enough.