Pointless Post

zeobee

Even though I know better about "just looking" at the goldies in WM, my keeper (aka husband) wasn't around to talk some reason into me. Of course I spotted a pearscale in horrible shape; bleeding from a gill injury, slight fin rot from poor water quality, you guys know the story. I felt so sorry for the little guy but I know I can't support the cycle by purchasing him although he seemed perky enough to survive treatment. I tried talking the manager into just giving him to me since he would probably die anyways and in exchange I would purchase some supplies from the department, but no go. Sadly, the store rather see the animal suffer and probably die than give it to someone that actually knows what they are doing. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I had to rant somewhere and I think my family/friends have had enough with my fish craziness ;-) Plus, I knew you guys would understand my guilt.

:( Such a bad situation when you want to save the fish, but you know they'll just bring in replacements to live in the same nasty conditions :( The last time I was in our WM, I had to check their tanks, as well, and was very pleased that the goldie tanks were all shut down and empty, as I was told they would be when I bought their last 2 black teles. Unfortunately, now they only have a couple of tropical tanks left and they are in the same condition that the goldies used to be: tanks are being shut down, so the fish have to be sold or die to do it :(

That's so sad. We should start a petition to try to get WM to stop selling fish, since they clearly have no idea how to take care of them.

I would love to do something like that. Is that something we can do by posting a thread or are there more steps to a petition that I'm not aware of?

Someone could start a website. Everyone can post a pic of the conditions of the tanks at their nearest store. I saw a site that people posted pictures of WM's shoppers it was hilarious, what-not-to wear etc...

care2 is a site for petitions, I don't know any details.

or someone could compose a letter to WM including photos of their tanks that we submit

Edited by Texana

Great idea Texana, many people probably aren't aware what conditions the fish are kept in. Unless you already own an aquarium or are looking to purchase fish, why would you look at the WM aquariums? Posting pictures would be a good way to get the point accross. I wish I knew web design :-/

I just have to add something here... I have never personally seen a Wal*mart with a well-kept fish section; but they apparently do exist because Hidr says her Wal*mart has a very nice and well-kept fish section. So just because it's a Wal*mart doesn't mean they automatically have bad conditions for their fish. I think petitioning to make them stop selling fish maybe wouldn't be the most productive thing to do. I think a more productive thing would be sending letters or emails to your state representatives asking them to consider legislation regarding the sale of fish and other pets. This way places could still sell fish (we don't want fish to become impossible to buy, because let's remember we have seen terrible fish conditions at all stores, not just wal*mart) but they will have to adhere to strict regulations about the cleanliness of tanks, quarantine procedures, etc. :)

The wally world by where i used to live kept their fish very well :) i always thought it would be a great place to work just because you could do so much good for those poor unfortunate ones that were not well taken care of :(

• 1 month later...

my wallmart sells fish. they do okie it seems. but what DOESNT and ever seem good are their bettas. in CLOSED WITH LID CONTAINERS. dirty water and like a lack of air basically. hours on end locked up :(

I just have to add something here... I have never personally seen a Wal*mart with a well-kept fish section; but they apparently do exist because Hidr says her Wal*mart has a very nice and well-kept fish section. So just because it's a Wal*mart doesn't mean they automatically have bad conditions for their fish. I think petitioning to make them stop selling fish maybe wouldn't be the most productive thing to do. I think a more productive thing would be sending letters or emails to your state representatives asking them to consider legislation regarding the sale of fish and other pets. This way places could still sell fish (we don't want fish to become impossible to buy, because let's remember we have seen terrible fish conditions at all stores, not just wal*mart) but they will have to adhere to strict regulations about the cleanliness of tanks, quarantine procedures, etc. :)

Sounds like a good course of action to me. Worst fish care I've ever seen was in a mall shop.

The fish at my wal/mart frequently have ich from what I've seen. Another thing is they used to sell little feeder goldfish for only 10 cents each but now have upped the price to like 28 cents I think it was. The same size gf are still sold at pet/smart for 13! And yeah, when they have bettas they are always above the sink in filthy water with most of them already dead--looks terrible. :doh11: One thing in their favor is the fish supplies really are cheaper so I buy some of that stuff regularly.

I personally am glad to see the Wally world in my town stopped carrying fish. Every time I went in there the were all in bad shape. I actually tried to get a couple of there 20gallon long tanks when the cleaned out that department, and was told they couldn't even sell them.

My WallyWorld usually doesn't keep the fish in very good conditions. I usually TRY not to even look.

That said, I just got one of the prettiest Black Moors I have seen there for 6 bucks!!!

It's the luck of the draw....you're going to find some lousy fish departments and some that shine. Too bad they all can't be like Jeana's for example. What they need is someone at corporate level to set standards and guidelines to keep them all consistent. Sales would definitely improve for them. ;)

Even though I don't live in any country which has WM in it, I HAVE seen some of the pictures taken over there.

Google has a whole bunch of photos.

Youtube has another bunch of videos.

But again, maybe they have stop selling live fishes...

EDIT : changed nnnnnn to nooppee to WM

Edited by Dawn