I'm Back

rai-nbow

Hey, Koko peoples. I feel like I've been gone off here for like a month... But it's only been a handful of days since Reila left me.... I haven't had the heart to come post on here. I guess I can tell the story now. She swelled up really bad that morning and her tummy was getting red again so that evening when I got home from school, I checked on her then went out to get some Vaseline. I came back and she was dead. I think she was bleeding internally. It was awful. I buried her under my favorite red crape myrtle tree. I cried my eyes so much they were swollen and painful the next day. I haven't cried since and I'm kinda in the denial -pretend-nothing-ever-happened stage. But anyway. Blah, blah blah. Nobody wants to hear my sob story.

Onto the good news. Sherby had three weeks of Prazi and then fresh water for a bit. He's been lonely and kinda just siting around the tank so I thought he might appreciate some company. He's in the big tank now just as happy as can be. He already has a crush on both Nathaniel and Tora. I find it interesting he immediately went up to them and has ignored the other two who are not ryukins. o.O My goldfish are amazing and haven't looked twice at him and he hasn't sit still once and is even starting to understand coming to the top for food. :heart

On another note. I had wisdom teeth surgery yesterday and I'm kind of out of it right now. [i.e painkiller] But I still managed to take some fairly nice pictures. You should see how colorful Sherby has gotten and how his tail is broadening. :D

Lots of pictures:

Sherby2-2.jpg

His GORGEOUS top view~

Sherby1-1.jpg

It's so beautifully symetrical.

Trio1-13.jpg

The Ryukins~ :heart

Trio2-4.jpg

Sorry about the green algae.

NathanielnSherby1.jpg

Trio1-12.jpg

Karyu's growing like mad AGAIN. He's like twice as big as everyone else now. Only Iva meets him in length but not in depth.

SherbynTora2.jpg

Love this pic.

Nathaniel2-11.jpg

Cute picture of Nathaniel.

Karyu1-24.jpg

Sherby4.jpg

I love his thin skin. It looks pink. :heart

Sherby3.jpg

Yellow belly~~~~

Sherby1.jpg

ToranIva1-3.jpg

SherbynTora3.jpg

Wouldn't their babies be GORGEOUS?! If Tora's a girl. :P

SherbynTora1.jpg

They're so cute together~ :wub:

Nathaniel1-21.jpg

Nathaniel

I hope you enjoyed. I hope everyone's fish are okay. I love you guys. :heart

I am new here but welcome back. I have a question. I notice in alot of the pics here that alot of keepers have no substrate? Why is this and what are the benefits outside of a cleanr enviroment?

I am new here but welcome back. I have a question. I notice in alot of the pics here that alot of keepers have no substrate? Why is this and what are the benefits outside of a cleanr enviroment?

Hi! And Welcome to Koko's~

There are lots of reasons. One, as you stated, it's much cleaner. It's faster to clean as you don't have to clean the gravel every time you clean the water. An advantage is not having to worry about piggy goldies choking on gravel. That was my big reason. My poor telescope, Karyu, has a red mark on the bottom of his chin from what I think was a cut from a piece of gravel a long time ago. Some people just simply like the look better too. Hm. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Welcome back Rai :heart So sorry again for the loss of Reila :cry1 Glad to hear Sherby's doing well in the big tank. Wisdom teeth suck, hope your mouth gets to feeling better quickly :D

usmpg1, a lot of us keep bare bottom tanks b/c goldies are so dirty that a lot of bad bacteria can get away from you quickly if it has gravel to hide in. It's a lot easier to clean and easier for the filter to suck everything up properly without gravel for uneaten food and poop to decay in :)

Welcome back,Rai-we missed youwink.gifSherby is gorgeous,and I'm so glad to hear he's doing so wellheartpump.gif And thank God for pain medication,huhill.gif But look on the bright side-you get to eat LOTS of ice cream!icecream.gifhi5.gif

Those are some super nice photos. Such beautiful goldies. Hope you feel better soon after your surgery. I have that to look forward to in January. Wisdom teeth are such a bother.

Welcome back and thanks for the wonderful photos! This fish is so pretty and cute! I'm starting to think that Ryukins might become my favorite breed!

@ usmgp1: I agree with what was said before. In my tank I only use river stones as these are too large for the fish to swallow, and at the same time have a nice smooth surface. They also only cover about 50% of the bottom, the rest is bare. That way I can clean up waste and excess food easily, and the less gravel/rocks/etc, the more room for additional water volume is there :)

Welcome back and thanks for the wonderful photos! This fish is so pretty and cute! I'm starting to think that Ryukins might become my favorite breed!

@ usmgp1: I agree with what was said before. In my tank I only use river stones as these are too large for the fish to swallow, and at the same time have a nice smooth surface. They also only cover about 50% of the bottom, the rest is bare. That way I can clean up waste and excess food easily, and the less gravel/rocks/etc, the more room for additional water volume is there :)

Oooh. Good point on the additional water. -nod nod nod-

Thanks guys~ I think I'ma try to take some more pictures. 'Cause you know I'm Queen of the spam. ;D Check back soon. ^.^

Welcome back Rai and Im so sorry for the loss of your Reila :cry1

You have a lovely crew in your tank and I think Tora is my favourite - I just love those colours :wub:

BTW... I really like your background - it looks like a marble effect - very nice!

Welcome back Rai, we missed you around here. :hug Not to worry about the sob story we can all understand, nothing worse than losing one of sweet fish. I hope you'll soon feel better. I always look forward to seeing your pictures, they are always great. :heart