Tank Stand

Do you think an antique dresser would make a good tank stand. Older furniture is so much sturdier than newer stuff.

Im just trying to figure out the most economical way to go about getting a new tank without getting something I don't want to look at in my home.

It's possible. What size of a tank are you planning on buying? Does the dresser have a central brace/support? Without it the top of the dresser could bow over time. (It happened to me... ugh!)

For another cost-friendly alternative, someone else on here (I forget the thread and the person) suggested building a cinder-block stand. So if the dresser doesn't work out, there's always this! lol

http://virtuallyamy.wordpress.com/2008/08/13/build-a-strong-inexpensive-aquarium-stand/

If only there were some sort of easy formula for figuring out how much weight and object could hold! D:

Do you think an antique dresser would make a good tank stand. Older furniture is so much sturdier than newer stuff.

Im just trying to figure out the most economical way to go about getting a new tank without getting something I don't want to look at in my home.

I would not recommend using older furniture, yes it may have been built better in the past, but if the wood has dried out it may have some internal cracks that would weaken it. The cinder block method is very inexpensive and dose work well.

Thanks for the input. I think that I will stick with my original plan and just get the tank/stand combo that is on sale then.

Commis, I do like the cinder block idea, although it wouldn't match the decor in my house at the moment. Maybe when we finish our basement.... :)

With the cinder blocks you can paint them with a good latex paint, or even put an old sheet over the set up.

Or get those thin wooden boards at the hardware store and make fake cabinet doors. They even sell nice wood-grain sheets that you could put over top of it to make it look prettier. Something sorta like this http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/TrainClown/2006127145018_A.jpg