187 Gallon Diy Tank

pss_gold

I've realized how overstocked I've gotten and have a glass/acrylic company in my area that might be able to help me cut and make a tank. It would ideally be 80x30x18. I figure wider and longer is better than taller so there's more surface area. What I'm worried about is my apartment. I have the room, so that's not a problem. The problem is the weight. I'll probably make my own stand eventually and stuff but I'm worried about the floor. It's not a new building and I'm on the second floor. Should I talk to the management about it? If I stick it against the wall, it should be able to hold, right? I hope o.o;

This is the room it would be going in:

As much of the room as I could fit in the picture: My link

The tank would go where the couch is: My link

Or here though it would get more natural light: My link

I read on here recently that for each gallon of water you have to think of 8lbs of weight. That means your filled tank would weigh around 1.500 lbs.

Maybe try asking the management about the strength of the floor. I wouldn't exactly mention a fish tank as I get the feeling people are more scared of the fish tank than of something with no water. Maybe just call it STUFF or DECORATION lol.

Haha yeah, I just got off the phone with them. They don't want that much water up there. They said 55 gallon max and I had to stop myself from giggling cuz I have a 75 in my room. I might go ahead and make the tank though and wait to use it until I move back home for the summer. Then when I move back down here for school, I'll just have to make sure I get a room on the bottom floor :rofl I hope I can sell the 75 before I move back so I dont have to move two huge tanks. I'll keep the filter and supplies. It took me waaay too long to get those bacteria established to see them go.

You know for a glass tank you will have to put on bases and supports and have it specially made to make sure it's aquarium save, the glass will either shatter, or begin to crack and then you might have a mess on the floor which will get you in serious trouble with management. I wouldn't risk a 187 gallon in an apartment :o

You mean braces? Yeah, Probably two or three since my 75 has 1 1' brace. I'll talk with the people at monster fish keepers since they probably have tons of experience with making their own giant tanks and filters. The glass will have to be 1/4" thick but I actually think my 75 gallon is thicker than that o.O The next step will be talking with my parents about this since I will be studying in Japan this summer so they'll likely be the ones to take care of it. I figured with the huge gallonage, it wouldn't have to be changed as often as it does now. That, and the water at my home is a lot better than the water down here too. I'll end up coming home to giant fish :D It will also be kept in the basement so falling through the floor isn't a worry :rofl

Something else to worry about with a tank that size... if you're moving it back and forth for school, you want to consider how much the EMPTY tank will weigh, and how difficult it would be to get it through things like doors or tight hallways... I have a large tank myself (just bought it a few weeks ago, 125 gal) and it weighs a LOT just by itself. I had bruises from resting it on my thighs to give my poor hands a break, and we didn't even have to move it very far to get it in/out of our van. Also consider how well it will fit in the vehicle you plan on using to move yourself, you don't want to discover AFTER you make it that it's too big!

Something else to worry about with a tank that size... if you're moving it back and forth for school, you want to consider how much the EMPTY tank will weigh, and how difficult it would be to get it through things like doors or tight hallways... I have a large tank myself (just bought it a few weeks ago, 125 gal) and it weighs a LOT just by itself. I had bruises from resting it on my thighs to give my poor hands a break, and we didn't even have to move it very far to get it in/out of our van. Also consider how well it will fit in the vehicle you plan on using to move yourself, you don't want to discover AFTER you make it that it's too big!

haha we had such trouble with my 75 because of the glass. It's double the thickness of my brother's 55 gallon. We got a Sprinter van to move me down so we'll have to get one either way. My brother has kind of talked me out of the upgrade so I'm going to look into re-homing some babies until I can provide the space. For now, they don't seem to mind the size of their school :)

I honestly think re-homing them would be your best bet for right now. That way less sickness will break out, and no more adopting for now! :wa That way you can get the cycle on this tank under control, cause you want to be focusing on college rather than the fish so it'll be easier for you, your fish, and your parents.

• 8 months later...