usmgp1

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

The comet in the center of the second to last pic is blind we call RC -Short for Ray Charles. He is so funny. When it is time to feed he does donuts to corral the food and then swims through it to eat.

Edited by usmgp1

Those are nice looking fish!

But how many do you have in each tank and what size tanks are they? Maybe it is just the angle of the photos but the tanks seem quite crowded :unsure:

How long you got those fish? I like the orange and black one a lot!

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Those are nice looking fish!

But how many do you have in each tank and what size tanks are they? Maybe it is just the angle of the photos but the tanks seem quite crowded :unsure:

How long you got those fish? I like the orange and black one a lot!

Well,I have had the larger ones for 6-10 years all the rest are offspring. I have two 55 gallon tanks , 3- 10 gallon tanks 1- 40 gallon and a pump system that is running the two 55 gallon tanks through and exterior filtering system I put together with a small sump and a old water dechlorination sytem I got from a friend. The water is pumped every 60 hours and cleaned to allow clean water to be exchanged a couple times a week. I have no problems with overcrowding and I am actually taking eggs out of the tanks very frequently. The small tanks have babies in them. Of course, I keep the ones I like. I also have a 55 gallon and anoth 40 gallon coming to start razing fancier goldfish.I give alot of the fish to schools and sell some of them and I also have a waterfall and two acre lake in my back yard. I introduced around 10 large goldies to the lake this year.

Chuck

Wow! I rarely see that many pretty fish in one tank! That's interesting how you manage to have them look that great!

How well does the filtration system keep the water clean? What are your water parameters?

It's cool how the larger ones are that old, I hope mine will live that long! With that many fish, do you lose a lot of them or not?

Wow! I rarely see that many pretty fish in one tank! That's interesting how you manage to have them look that great!

How well does the filtration system keep the water clean? What are your water parameters?

It's cool how the larger ones are that old, I hope mine will live that long! With that many fish, do you lose a lot of them or not?

Teh water is very clean. The filtration is run through an old Clearwater filter system with a digital clock that sets the cycle on it.When it comes to water perameters what are you looking for? PH levels? I usually do not have an issue due to consistent water changes and circulation.I very rarely lose them. I lost one about a month ago to what I believe was a simple cause of old age. He was around 10. The water changes make a big difference with these guys. The new tanks are going to be nice to have I can thin out the herd a little and divide some of the fish and get some new fancies. This may sound wierd if you want to see something funny . I have a couple of Pleco's in each 55 gallon and I drop algae wafers in once or twice a week and around lights out and the goldfish go crazxy for them! Do you think anyone in my area would liek to do some trades? Have you ever had a blind goldfish?

Chuck

Edited by usmgp1

BTW. I bring in about half of my fish from the water fall pond to help them winter over. I leave around 10 or so out there all winter with an aerator. They are very healthy and have actually spawned very well.

BTW. I bring in about half of my fish from the water fall pond to help them winter over. I leave around 10 or so out there all winter with an aerator. They are very healthy and have actually spawned very well.

A little off base but here are the two guardians of the lake where I keep the goldies. Sully & Donald

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a467/usmgp1/Fish/Sully%20Donald/47864_1492558966377_1606128676_2392972_6457622_n.jpg

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a467/usmgp1/Fish/Sully%20Donald/48017_1492554726271_1606128676_2392971_4431873_n.jpg

Oh, so many of the fish shown in the photo are normally living outside in the pond?

I know the thing with the pleco. I got a common pleco myself and the poor thing actually has to defend his algae wafers from the goldfish. :lol1 I always got to drop at least a couple of them in, so the single tails go after one chip and the pleco can eat the other one.

Water parameters, I was talking about ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. Those go up fast the more fish you got and can really harm them, that's why I am curious how yours are and how well the filtration system takes care of them :)

Those fish already look so great, I wonder to what extend they would improve if they'd be kept with more room for them.

You know what you should try? When you get some more tanks, don't add new fish. Just spread out the fish to give them more room each. I bet they will thrive like crazy!

I noticed that with my comet and shubunkin, Orange Fishie and Hugo in my signature. I used to keep them in a 10 gallon tank at first, then 20 gallons. I eventually learned that to be able to thrive the most they should have at least 20 gallons each because of the waste they produce and the size they can grow into. I am still not at the preferred tank size for them, but got all my fish (except for Vanille who is new and currently in quarantine) in a 55 gallon tank right now. You should SEE to what beauties they grew. I just posted a comparison photo of the Shubunkin.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/babyhugogrowth.jpg

16 months ago is when I got her, you can see her in the big photo between the cave and the plant. This was the 10 gallon tank and this photo more or less shows the entire tank. In the small photo on top is the same fish now 16 months later and living in the big tank with a lot of room for herself, and look at how gorgeous and gigantic she is now. And she is not done growing yet.

So I really would love to see the potential that is still hidden in your fish! :gfish:

Fang, I don't think you quite understand the extent and power of usmgp1's filtration set-up. The water is constantly exchanged, which can increase the capacity of a tank exponentially -- it can effectively turn a 55 gallon into a 100+++ gallon tank, since the water is replaced with fresh on a constant basis. His tanks are not overcrowded. In fact, given the prolific breeding that's going on, I'd say those fish are pretty darn happy. :)

Thanks for sharing such fun pics! So, you're going to get into fancies next? Awesome!

Fang, I don't think you quite understand the extent and power of usmgp1's filtration set-up. The water is constantly exchanged, which can increase the capacity of a tank exponentially -- it can effectively turn a 55 gallon into a 100+++ gallon tank, since the water is replaced with fresh on a constant basis. His tanks are not overcrowded. In fact, given the prolific breeding that's going on, I'd say those fish are pretty darn happy. :)

Thanks for sharing such fun pics! So, you're going to get into fancies next? Awesome!

Exactly, I don't.

Which is why I keep asking, because I'd love to know how this works out so well. I'd love to see what this filtration system looks like etc etc etc. :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Exactly, I don't.

Which is why I keep asking, because I'd love to know how this works out so well. I'd love to see what this filtration system looks like etc etc etc. :D

Well, I saw telling him to try spreading his fish among more tanks to reach their full potential as a little more than asking. I'm not trying to pick on you here, honest. I just think there's a fair amount of advice being given on here lately by non-mods who maybe don't have the years of experience of some other members. That's all. ;)

@ RanchuDressing:

Well, you know, I was not telling him that he does this and that and everything wrong and has to get rid of 75% of his stock etc. :)

In fact I didn't say he did anything wrong at all, just wondered about how much the fish could improve if they had more room. Great filtration or not, I counted 19 fish in a 55 gallon tank and at least to me this seems tight, room-wise. After all I keep reading advice by members with the years of experience that especially single tails need a lot of swimming room as they are darters and can grow up to 12 inches and more.

As I said, I found these fish looking great and not knowing how well his filtration system works and considering that there is not much space I wondered how much better they might even look with more room to grow. :)

So I did keep asking about the filtration system and how well it takes care of things like ammonia etc. Having at least 19 fish in a 55 gallon tank made me curious, and I am quite convinced that I am not the only person here who does not know how this particular filtration system works.

Not being a moderator shouldn't be a reason to not tell others your thoughts, especially if they are friendly and well meant.

And just in case you read my previous post too fast, I said "Those fish already look so great, I wonder to what extend they would improve if they'd be kept with more room for them." I also said "You should try..." and not "You have to..." which makes a big difference. :) Or maybe this is another thing in the English language that makes no sense to me, as English is only my second language.

But oh well, misunderstandings happen, so don't worry about it ;)

usmpg1: could you post some pictures/video and some detailed explanation about the filtration system so we all do understand how it works and what it does? :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

usmpg1: could you post some pictures/video and some detailed explanation about the filtration system so we all do understand how it works and what it does? :)

I'm very interested to see how this filtration system works out as well, considering I have 10 fancies in my 75 gallon. :D

OMGoodness,SO many things to complement-BEAUTIFUL fishwub.gif,AWESOME swans00001749.gif,your pond sounds FANTASTICfishpond.gif,and your water/filtration system sounds like it kickbutt.gif!!!

You must enjoy ALL of it very muchsmile.gifI too would LOVE to see your set up,it sounds amazing! Is this the kind of system they have in some big fish stores? And,btw,welcometo.jpgtongue.gif

If what Ranchudressing said about usmgp1's filtration system is true, and if's not very costly, I NEED TO GET THIS. Will help my fish grow and give them better water quality.

What a truly lovely crew!!!!

I've only read about the continuous filtration system in a study related to growth inhibitor reduction in goldfish ponds and aquariums. I too would love to see your set up!

Okay here is a pic of the water system timer and tank. My friend and I found this on the internet and made our own system to fit my situation. There is a 200 gallon holding tank that is recharged by the system timer after the water is cleaned. Alot of my indoor fish have grown alot. Some of them have grown larger than my outdoor pond fish.

My system is a cross bred system of the ones seen below:

I have incorporated a timer and cut out some of the other things in these drawings but have kept the storage and have added the timer system to help filter the water before storage.

It is very simple if you have some resoureces and are tech savvy. I did architectural design so with that and the help of a plumber friends it was easy. Just make it work for your situation.

7094335-0-large.jpg

aquarium-system.jpg

DSC_2270.jpg

DSC_2271.jpg

As silly as it is, the part I could never wrap my brain around is where the clean water comes from...duh! Holding tank. And you keep it refilled. It actually makes so much sense. Most of us would be inclined to put the fish in the two hundred gallon, but if you use that to constantly flush fresh water it is like having a pond in your house.

This sounds costly and a little too technical for my brain to comprehend but I get the basic gist. Once my business picks up and I get the money, I'm hiring someone to do this for me. But wow, great job my man.