Quarantining And Salting

number20121

I was browsing the internet about quarantining new fish when I found something about it on goldfish connection where it says:

Salt to 0.3 %. On day two increase salt to 0.6 %.

I'm just being curious, but isn't that dangerous? I always thought you increase/decrease the salt by 0.1% every 12 hours so the fish won't go in shock, or is this just a precaution? Also I thought 0.3% is the highest you should go to.

Also, my mother in law just "bugged" me again about when she's gonna get the quarantine tank with the betta setup. Not in any mean bugging way but more like a 10 year old girl, it actually was kinda cute :D

The same article on gc says a healthy looking fish needs quarantined 14 days. As the dark edges on Vanille's fins turned out to be ammonia burns from the LFS and other than that she is fine except for MAYBE flukes as I saw her yawn a couple times and is being treated with prazi pro, and the fish in the main tank also still got about 2 weeks of prazi pro treatment ahead of them, would it be alright to add her?

That way, tomorrow when I get my paycheck, I could go on a small shopping spree with in-law to get a heater, gravel and plants for the betta setup etc. (Gotta look some more into how to do all that though)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I always QT for 4-6 weeks.

The Koi guy in holland also told me to go up to 0.5%. But higher than 0.3% things can go very wrong. So you have to be an 'advanced hobbyist' to do this I think. I think you have to keep your eyes on certain signs that the fish isn't handling it well, I do believe a fish can die from high concentrations. But sometimes it is necessary because most of the fish bred in China are kept in high salt concentrations.

The highest I'd do is 0.4% though this was never a necessity anyway since 0.3% is sufficient enough. I've never done 0.6% so I dunno how much impact it will have to the fish. Ask Rick why he instructed this. As I see it, 0.6% is quite a huge jump. Most goldfish are intolerant to high salt levels and easily become very erratic.