Headstanding Molly, Now Upside Down Platy

pss_gold

A couple days ago, Lupin the molly stared head standing. The params were fine so I thought it might be the lionhead pellet food since i've read it causes swim bladder issues. So I qt him and fed him peas. He's not better yet so I started to raise the water temp and see what happened. he's not getting worse but he still looks sad.

Now I woke up this morning and James my platy was upside down and barely moving. He did look a little tired yesterday but still.

Both were in my 75 gallon tank with my goldfish. Params are 0-0-10~20. Ph is 8. The salt is at 0.3%, could that have caused this? I hope they'll make it but james looks really bad :cry1 I didn't have time to change the water yesterday and am doing it this morning after class. James and lupin do fight occasionally but it was ever bad. I don't know what happened @.@

Edited by Yuko

Even when water test are good I would still do a large water change. There are stuff we just don't test for. And even though the fish is gone I would still do at least an 80% water change.

Also it is not the best idea to keep tropical fish with goldfish. Even more so when your over stocked.

Keep up the water changes. I would do twice a week 50% or more till you get a bigger tank or at least a tank to move all the tropicals to and then one to move some of the goldfish too so your not over stocked.

ok, I'm doing 25% right now since that's all the water I have collected from my r/o. I can do another tomorrow though, probably closer to 70% with some tap water mixed. I can only collect 32 gallons max. I'm thinking I might have a fluke infestation so it's time to order some more prazi pro; some yawning and twitching. The molly and platy were visiting while my baby snails grew up but it seems that wasn't the best idea now. :(

I'll have to see what I can do about the over stocking. I plan on moving to Japan in the next year or so and I've read that tanks are really cheap there (especially in Tokyo) and if I can get a house, I'll put in a pond. Till then, I'll have to change the water more towards 50%+ a week instead of 25% I guess. I've made a super bio filter that has 2 liters of seachem matrix with two sponge filters in addition to the media already in my filter so there will be plenty of room for the bio bugs.

It's just weird that there was a bloom of brown algae right before this craziness started... hmmm

Unfortantly more filteration can not help a lot with over stocking. It well help you not have a spike but the only thing that well help is more and larger water changes. My tank get once a week 50% when not over stocked. Right now I am doing once a week 75% but I only have one extra fish.

So the more you can do the better off for your fish.

Ok, I'm working on a "how much my hose can pull out" water change. I'm also boiling the air stones since they were the only thing I haven't really sterilized since they cyst incident. Would 50% twice a week work? 3 times? Right now I've got four 3" oranda, two 3" shubbies, three 1.5" telescopes, and a 1" fantail. ... I didn't really realize how much of a bind I've gotten myself into :( They'll definitely need an upgrade in the next year or so. At least they're small for now so I have a little time. I'll have to talk to my neighbor about putting Pierre and Tabun in their pond for next summer. That should help a little. Also, when the snails are grown up and sold, I'll have a 15 gallon available again.

Is there anything I can do for lupin? He still doesn't really have control of himself :/

You are in need of 10 gallons per fancy and 20 gallons per long bodied just for the goldfish. So 2 or more (if you can) water changes should help till you find a second tank or rehome some of them or one larger tank.

Not sure what to tell you for the sick fish other then clean water with some salt and getting him out of the goldfish tank. Never kept mollies but I understand they do best with salt in their water. Maybe you can research that.

Luckily my schedule allows for a change on Tuesday, Thursday, and a day during the weekend. Come January that'll change around a bit but I think I can manage. I'm scanning craig's list now to see what my options are. I think my mom would kill me if I got another tank, but a bigger one might be doable.

So sorry he died :(

I do have a question for you though, why are you using RO water with goldfish? That makes the water very soft and they need hard water? Is it ammonia from your tap? The prime will bind the ammonia and other nasties for 2 days. Like Hidr said though, all of these problems are mostly caused by bad overstocking and mixing species. :( I agree with her on more water changes if you are able to, or else you will keep losing fish because the waste is building up too quickly than it can be processed. :( I'm so sorry he died.

Thanks. Lupin is still holding on in his qt. I'm trying to feed some anti bacterial food and see what happens.

I'm not exactly sure if my r/o is r/o or DI. The guy sold it to me at the r/o price but everything in the instructions said DI. I use seachem replenish to restore the GH to make it hard again then I recently discovered that stirring the water I collected with coral brings the pH up to where I can add it. Now I don't need to use r/o right since it doesn't dissolve all the way and leaves sand on the bottom. Having a bubbler in the bin helped too. It gives off water so pure that it sucks co2 from the air and makes it read 5 something on the test kit when it's really 7.

I'm using it because the ammonia comes out at 3ppm the last time I checked. My town uses a lot of chloramine. When I do a large water change and I have to mix the r/o and the tap, it makes my cycle spike a bit which I do not like. When I was using only the r/o to change (~30 gallons a week for the past few) the nitrates would only get up to 10-20 a week and that's with feeding my fishies 3 times a day and probably a little too much. With the tap, I think it would easily hit 40 in a week considering we haven't had any rain in forever and that's when the water chemist says the ammonia will be the highest.

I'm working on an upgrade planned for May. 187 gallons for everyone :) With 2 shubbies, 2 common, 3 teles, 1 fantail, and 4 oranda what is my water change schedule going to look like if I have +10x filtration on it? I assume by may they'll be a decent amount bigger :3 It's likely my mom is going to be taking care of this monster while I'm in Japan for a couple months.

Even with a 187 gallon you would still be overstocked due to the commons and shubies. Even with 10x filtration your mom will have to change out a lot of water. Even though they're small they get big, FAST. You would probably want to be changing out 93 gallons weekly. Even with the filtration it does not substitute water changes due to your nitrate and stocking levels. Plus you will have to cycle that tank too.

Haha, it's ok. I had enough trouble trying to figure it out and make sure I counted everyone. 4(20)+7(10)=150 gallons. So I'll have 37 gallons left.

Well I'm planning on setting her up with a hose and a dry erase marker so I'll mark a line on the tank and she can empty to that level, then fill it back up. She used to take care of our pool (we got rid of it last year) so she's used to testing water though I don't know how thrilled she will be to have to do it again xD My water at home is perfect for goldfish. 7.5pH and no ammonia or other compounds. By May, I think they can be reduced to two times a day feedings. They've already grown about an inch since June. I plan on keeping my good bacteria alive between the move. They made it during the last one. I figure the fluval 405 i have now with the two liters of bio media will be able to handle the huge tank for a little bit while I make another filter. Might make a wet/dry filter for this since I'll have plenty of cabinet space. At least I have time to figure it out. I would sell my 75 gallon before setting this tank up. I dont want to make my mom take care of two tanks (the idea behind the huge one).

Everyone sure is yawning a lot. They're making me tired lol I'm taking the purigen out of the filter today and doing a water change. It was pretty yellow last time I checked and I think it might be doing something to the water... I'm putting carbon back in the filter too. Hopefully that'll help to get stuff out of the water. I'm working on ordering a giant bottle of prazi pro so I can kill the flukes. We shall see.

He's starting to look bloated around his belly. Maybe dropsy... I'm not sure. I'm doing another water change today since I'm going home for the weekend. Hopefully all will be well.

got back and everyone is doing well. The molly is still hanging on and eating so he can't be feeling that bad. I'll be changing water tuesday so hopefully all will be well. :)