Tilting Baby Ranchu.

It has been a few days that I noticed that Chunky Monkey (currently in the 85Gal) tilts while still, or sleeping. The tilting sort of varies in side - not one side specifically. She usually tilts and her tail also goes that side - like pulling her over a little. Other than this she has no issue zipping up to the surface as soon as she sees me, zip where she wants to go etc. It only happens when she is still.

Water params are great (yey) - 0,0,0

So I am wondering if it is 'acceptable' and I should not worry about it?

Or if it is, on the other hand, something i should be worried about and that could escalate to more serious issues...? (ie. Could the tilting become permanent? And maybe fix her to the floor?)

Could it be caused by water pressure?

I have no experience with such things so I would love some input, and personal experience.

thanx guys :)

• Admin

My old Ranchu Mongo... when he was resting he would tilt to one side, like he had a water pillow in the tank. My new Ranchu Jupiter will tilt nose down when hes sleeping, Pebbles with tilt with her head down when still or sleeping...

I wonder if Ranchu's and lionheads like to do this, cause this is three of them I have had and they all have some strange way of resting or sleeping.

i would say keep an eye out hun :)

Koko do you think it is because they have no long 'fins' to stabilize them? My other ranchu Blondie sleeps on the floor.

• Admin

Im thinking more of the fact they dont have a dorsal fin, so they dont have a real way of balancing them selfs.... and the short fins to, but think about the dorsal fin, they use it like a cat uses its tail to balance.... hummm :)

Yea exactly! So I can leave her in the 85Gal you think? She LOVES the space so I would love to be able to leave her there if I could.

Oh Hi Susan :) I know you have a couple dears stuck to the floor - how did that happen? What were the 'warning' signs? I am happy some of your little ones do it. I feel relieved :)

Yea exactly! So I can leave her in the 85Gal you think? She LOVES the space so I would love to be able to leave her there if I could.

Oh Hi Susan :) I know you have a couple dears stuck to the floor - how did that happen? What were the 'warning' signs? I am happy some of your little ones do it. I feel relieved :)

I think those have been related to pressure in my 170g-that's why I don't put smaller Orandas in there anymore-they go out in the pond,for that reasonfishpond.gif

Okey thanx Koko!

Oh wow Susan... But your pond has more water tho? So strange these things.

Okey so she should be fine in an 80gal then :)

• Supporter

snag doesn't show any of that at all.. i think he's quite well balanced and he always looks normal.. i haven't noticed any tilting problems. but, he's my first ranchu so i have no other experiences to share.

Okey thanx Koko!

Oh wow Susan... But your pond has more water tho? So strange these things.

Okey so she should be fine in an 80gal then :)

That's 1 reason my pond is only 1/2 atm. I'm thinking that maybe the gallonage is spread out over a larger surface area out there and it might be ok to fill it up moreyeah.gifCome to think of it Fede,I've never had a ranchu flip-just Orandas and Telesbingo.gif-not that that means anything-it's just been my own personal experience. I don't think you have to worry-maybe it's akin to Grandpa nodding off in his chairwink.gifrofl3.gif