Gel Food Anyone?

Helen

• Supporter

YEY FOOD!

Snag has the smartest technique! He snatches all the falling food without getting pushed around! :rofl

ha ha!.. i know.. whilst they're all fussing at the top, he gets EVERYTHING that falls beneath them!.. he really is a smarty.. only thing is, i would love for him to hand feed. he never comes to the surface.. is this normal for ranchus? he's the first one i've ever owned..

my ranchus go wherever my hand goes. But this is because I handfed them in QT. You can try holding the spinach up yourself instead of putting it on the clip - that works to get them to focus on your hand. The positive thing is that atleast he doesn't take in air!

• Supporter

thanks frederica, i will try the spinach tomorrow and see if he comes to it.. he used to handfeed off me when he was in qt too.. but i think he feels quite intimidated with the big fish around.. as soon as i put my hand in there, i have pork chop aggressively trying to take whatever i'm holding and she's really strong, then there's SL who's nearly 3 times his size.. so i guess he's just playing it safe.

That is so stinkin' cool to watch!!!

You have an amazing crew Stakos! Seeing all of your beauties makes me daydream of one day having a huge tank too. (Don't tell my husband though! Yipe!)

• Supporter

thanks guys.. they sure do love gel food... i recommend it to anyone wanting to give it a go. i've been feeding them gel food every second day for a whole month and i have noticed that they have grown heaps and are behaving more "happy" in everything they do.. there's no more bullying, not biting nothing. they're all peaceful now and happy too.

as far as giving them away :P for now i have no intention, but i shall consider if ever that day was to come along. :rofl

Has anyone tried to make gel food with Agar-Agar instead of gelatin?

:tomuch: Agar-Agar sounds like a prehistoric swear word to me.. never heard of the stuff! :rofl

Ha! We Vegans use Agar-Agar instead of gelatin. It's made from red algae.

I'm trying to think how to use Agar-Agar in a sentence in that style.....That guy at the LFS was such as Agar-Agar. He didn't know his elbow from his Agar-Agar! badteeth.gif

I've seen your fishes in the your sig but they are 50 times more beautiful on video. Gorgeous fish. Especially Sir Loyn, Pork Chop and Amico. Love the flow of their tails as they swim. Good job!