Please Help Fast!

roxyjack13

Hi,

I need some help, husband at work and cant' call and I don't dont' know what to do...I came home today and our largest and oldest black moor was nowhere to be found. He had gotten stuck inside an aquarium ornament we have. I have no idea how he managed this because this thing is small. It was like a dragon skull thing with SMALL openeing...anyways...I got him out gently but his scales are VERY SHREDDED and when he was released, the other moors started to nip at him and his scales that were loose and falling off... THANK GOD I have an emergency tank and I put him in there....it's' only 10 gallons and he's about 6 inches.....including the tail, sorry I don't know how to measure them any other way...He's in the 10 gallon and hes going to every corner and basically rubbing his face back and forth...I dont' know fi that's normal or what I should do!!!!!! He did eat the food I put in there but what else should I do....his sides are so shredded...but he's swimming ok.....please help! Thanks

You made a good decision to get him into qt. Cover the tank with a dark cloth to calm him. Some one will come along soon with more info. Some airation might be helpful. Do you have a filter or bubbles in the qt tank?

Do you have test kits to keep his water at premium condition?

Yes I am actually cutting holes in some air hose I have right now to make him a bigger bubble wall...the other one was for small fish...This fish almmost died a years ago and he came thru and he is just the best fish I have....I just want to make sure i'm ddoing the right thing I just put a drk sheet over the tank like you said...thanks for any advice

Clean water is the best thing you can do now. If you don't have a small filter for the tank with cycled filter materia, keep changing most of his water every day. Adding salt might be a good idea as it supports the healing process.

Do NOT use table salt as they include anti caking agents that will harm the fish! If you can find pure sodium chloride which is pure salt, or the aquarium salt from the pet store.

Add 1 level teaspoon aquarium salt per gallon. Dissolve it completely before adding to the tank. Add another dose of 1 tsp/gallon 12 hours later. Do the same thing another 12 hours later to have 3 teaspoons per gallon.

Whenever you change water, make sure you replace the salt! Like if you do an 80% water change, you'll have to replace salt for 8 gallons.

Other than that, as Texana said, keep the tank dark as it will calm the fish.

Please post your Tank parameters and information on the top box. (both for the hospital tank and for the main tank)

I think we should look into why he wedged himself in the skull to begin with. Usually only weak fish do this. :(

As for the smashing it could be either water issues (but it is fresh water there right? and you added dechlorinator?). Have you treated your fish for flukes ever? Flukes are very itchy and could make him act this way.

But first and foremost we need the water parameters and info on tank. :)

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I don't think you need to go to 0.3% salt for this, that's for ich breakouts, 0.1% should be enough for healing, that's 1 teaspoon per gallon without extra dosages after 12 hours, and just replace what you remove, if you take out 50% of the water add back in 50% of the salt (for a 10 gallon tank this will be 5 teaspoons).

Goldfish are masters at finding trouble, but keep his water as clean as possible, keep him calm (darkness helps) and give him lots of oxygen as you are doing and hopefully he will pull through this, though he might have a few battlescars afterwards. It's probably worth getting rid of that ornament too. It's possible some food got inside it and he went crazy trying to get it or something.

Let us know how he does and good luck :)

The poor thing :( I think everyone has you covered as far as good clean water and a dark relaxing place to heal up :) a little salt can't hurt as far as helping promote healing :) I do hope you removed the offending ornament!!!Goldfish do have a way of finding them selfs in trouble :( Can you post a pic??

In addition to all of the good advice, I would advise against putting hollow ornaments in a tank period, due to the fish managing to get stuck in them, and that they hold stagnant water that can make them sick.

Clean water and .1% salt should help him feel better soon :D