What Does Floating Butt Up Mean?

amynmitchell

I've noticed both Calcifer and Ponyo sleep floating butt up. Calcifer is really almost vertical. They swim and get around totally fine. They have all been salted and prazied....should I be worried?

I read that butt-up was because of intestinal gas, cos Dumpling and Peaches were both doing it. Both of them had the tips of their backs above the water line.

For both of them, it went away after a while. In Dumpling's case, his pineconing probably had something to do with it; when his scales started to flatten, he started to float more normally. Peaches was sorted out with a couple of day's worth of peas.

Will be switching them to gel food, I suspect the commercial food isn't helping much.

• Supporter

yep.. as soon as i feed hikari sinking pellets particularly (well most commercial foods really), sir "bubble butt" loyn is all floaty again... peas or veggies that don't cause gas build up for a few days and a day of fasting won't hurt either.

• Admin

I know that fish can blow air past there gills. The one fish i had that did that all the time was my Dojo... It looked like he was burping and sometimes looks like he was farting too :rofl

He is swimming totally fine, but when at rest he is like this:

newfish060.jpg

newfish057.jpg

I did peas and veggies today, but I'll try a few more days of peas. He is just less active and hanging in that spot which I really don't like.

So far my poor tank looks like a convolscent home. Walley is in the colander. Calcifer sleeps next to it with his butt straight up in the air. If I get too close for a photo he swims right off, so that doesn't work. I haven't fasted. He is so little that I haven't had the heart, but he is on day three of peas. He is still butt up more than I would like, but he is much more active now as well. I am going to fast him tommorrow and then start a week (while I am out of town...my husband prefers feeding frozen anyway) of only brine and bloodworms. Then I will slowly start to reintroduce my gel food. If that doesn't work, then I need to figure out a new food.

Amy I don't know if this helps but my 3 'floaters' float way more on peas! (and any commercial food). I find that spinach clears them out quite well, and broccoli even better (if it doesn't cause gas).

Amy lemme know how things go and if the extra veggies change anything. I have a few thoughts to add IF that doesn't help... But I would rather you rule out gassiness first.

"broccoli" gives me gas rofl3.gif

! LOLOLOL For me, it's onions! Ohhhhhhh mannnnn. If I have anything with onions you don't wanna me near me for a few days!