Average Size

whitner

I know genetics and environment affect growth, but on average how big is a 2 year old goldy? Or is there no average size? I'm just curious. :)

• Supporter

i guess it really depends on the type.. and then the environment we or previous owners provide it.. from my personal observations i find that fancys grow slower than single tails..

a fancy? i would think that given a perfect environment from fry age, 4-6 inches in 2 years?

Well, would that mean that if I buy a 4 inch fancy that it is already about 2 years old then?

I personally don't think so -- I've seen goldfish entered at shows that are larger than 4 inches and under a year old. SO much depends on both genetics and environment.

• Admin

So true... the one batch of fry I raised, there was one fish her name Konagin when she was a year old she was already 2" big. This was due to her parents (Pharoh and Fiona) both of those fish were huge 8-9" long and Fiona was a high top Oranda. So she grew tall and long very fast. the problem was she grew so fast and tall she got SBD and i couldnt stop it. I had to put her down.

So it really does depend on there genetics :o

i guess it really depends on the type

Yeah, it's a fancy. A pearlscale. I estimate that Moony is about 2 yrs old. I know he's stunted, but I wantyed to know by about how much 'cause I wanted to compare his size to another 2 year old fish.

Do the 4 inches include the length of tail? Vanille is 4 inches, and I just got her, so she could be 2 years already? An all mature fishie girl?'

EDIT: Then how can a black moor grow from 2 inches to 5.5 inches within a year and a half?

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang