Stupid Lfs Employee

There is a new Pe+$m@r+ that opened by my house yesterday. I went there to check out their fish, assuming they would have a good healthy selection since they just opened. Well, I was very wrong. There was one tank with three Ryunkins, two of which were dead, and one who was in terrible shape and looked like it was gonna die in a minute. Then they had several tropical fish tanks with dead fish in them. I decided to stop looking at the fish, because it was just upsetting, so I went down the aisle to look at fish supplies. As I was looking at test strips, a woman and her son walked down the aisle holding two commons in a bag, and asking what kind of tank they would need. The guy said "well, you're gonna need something that's kinda big." I was pleased to hear this, until I saw the woman grab a 5 gallon as ask "like this?" The employee was like, "well no, maybe something like this" and shows her a 10 gallon tank. The woman argued that she didn't want to spend that much, and the employee was like "oh, well I guess the 5 gallon should be okay." At that point I was mad that the guy was being an idiot, so I turned to them and said "I don't mean to butt in, but you're gonna want something a lot bigger than that, otherwise the fish are gonna die young, and I'm sure your son wouldn't want his new pets to die so soon." I then explained how if she bought something like that, the water would be dirty all the time, and it's just gonna be more of a hassle than it's worth. The woman was thankfully very responsive to what I told her and asked me what type of fish she could keep in the 5gal. I offered to show her and the employee actually mumbled something under his breath and when I asked what he said he just gave me a really nasty look and walked a way. I talked the woman into getting a betta and her son found a blue one he liked and was so excited about it. Then when I was going to but test strips, I saw the employee who gave me an attitude, and he was talking to a coworker and he pointed at me. He must've been talking about me. I was so blown away that this guy was such a jerk just because I was trying to help. Oh well, at least I saved two goldfish from living in a too-small tank.

Good for you! I totally would have told on him, too. He doesn't need to work there, obviously. And it's my opinion that they need to be more selective in the people they hire.

You did a GREAT thing, and look what a positive outcome it had! Don't let that lame guy bother you, you know you did the right thing and that's all that matters! You probably just hurt his fragile pride :lol1

Edited by Sakura

What a creep, but good job in giving that family a great start to having a happy fish!

I worked at a pet store in the summer, only with the puppies and kittens, but heard a fish guy got fired on the spot for cussing under his breath at a customer.

• 2 months later...

I wish my story had a better outcome. I tried the same thing at an LFS. A woman wanted to buy a couple of goldfish to put in a bowl! The clerk did sorta try to talk her out of it. Then, I too butted in and said "don't goldfish need to be kept in at least a 10 gal tank?". Thankfully the clerk agreed with me. At the moment. He tried to steer her towards a betta but she really wanted goldies. She asked again if they could be kept in a bowl and he at first said that you shouldn't but you could when he saw his sale walking out the door. I had to leave before I said something rude. I tried. I probably should have tried to be more educational like you did. I'm glad that the customer listened to you. And POO on the clerk. He obviously doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground! Congrats !!