number20121

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 10

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test Kit

[*]Water temperature? 72 to 74

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon quarantine tank, running for two weeks.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? top fin HOB for 10 gallon 80gph

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 2 water changes weekly, 50% - 90%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish 4 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime, 0.2% salt

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? saki hikari fancy goldfish pellets, twice a day about 6 pellets

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? hikari prazi pro

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? a few small dark areas on tail fin and anal fin edges

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no

Yeah, so basically I noticed a few dark areas on the edges of her fins today. No fraying, no tears, no blood. I thought it would be ammonia burns and changed 80% of the water, but I tested the water from the container I put her into during the water change which had some of the water from before the change, and the result was 0/0/10, so it couldn't have been ammonia burns. I keep testing her water twice a week and never had any quality problems with it.

Other than the she is fine, no abnormal behavior. Active, eating.

Could it be some sort of injury? Scraped her fins on... I don't know what? The smooth edged clay pot??

EDIT: Not sure how important this is, but as I said in another thread, a few days ago I was at the LFS where I got her from and almost all the fish that were together with her in the tank there have fin rot.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I just don't get what it could be. The thing with the LFS and the fin rot in their tank bothers me a bit, but then again I wonder too if this shouldn't have started earlier with her then, if at all. After all she's away from there for 15 days now, and has wonderful quality water ever since, high quality food, no sharp interior.

The ONLY thing I could think of is maybe a bacterial infection from the glass pot which had the crushed coral in it. Although I make sure the water gets changed in it too I wonder if there was some stagnant water with bacteria maybe? But I don't really believe that. Still, just in case I just emptied it, tied the plant to a rock and buried the air stone deep down inside the crushed coral so it keeps the water moving in the pot.

Do you have a pic? Ammo burns can heal for sure a few weeks later. I remember one of my fish showed them like 3 weeks after the ammo had showed up in the tank.

Otherwise it could be fin growth? Usually my fish's fin growth is a slight different color until it 'ages'. But black seems a little extreme.

If you are worried about rot I guess salt wouldn't be a bad thing

I tried to take photos, but it is just a small area and it is not deep black. Her fins are so translucent that it looks more grayish and the camera flash completely fades it out. Without flash it is too blurry.

But if ammonia burns can show 3 weeks later, then this might just be what it is!

• Supporter

i agree.. ammonia burns from the store. hershey went through this too. the black is signs of healing and it shouldn't take too long to recover. good clean water and it should be gone in no time.