New Filter: Diy Media?

Guest luser

Okay, so I'm getting one of these for my 10gal, but I wanted to go the DIY media route.

I was thinking (from bottom up): course filter sponge cut to size (about 3/4 of basket), layer of filter floss then remaining 1/4 ceramic rings? Is this the right way to do it or can anyone recommend another?

luser

I would do about half of the space filled with ceramic media, rather than just 1/4. The ceramic media is for the beneficial bacteria to colonize, and they need a lot of surface area. Otherwise, your plan looks great to me!

You have three goldfish in a tiny 10 gallon tank? I would get a new tank (3 fancies need at least 30 gallons 3 long bodied gf need at least 60 gallons) and a much much bigger filter. You well need 10 x gph.

I know I need a larger tank: the 3 are two comets and a small (2cm) comet fry. One comet is being moved to a 8gal tank tomorrow and then I'm frantically searching for a bigger tank. My deal (see in the tank forum) fell through. If I could find a biiiiiiiiiig rubbermaid tub in the UK, I'd jump on it in a second!

Thanks for the feedback Sakura! Looks like I'll be getting the 500g bag then :P

In that case I would look for a filter that can be used on the new tank when you get it. Something as big as you can get and still fit on the tiny tank. That way you can move it and all the media to the bigger tank when you get it set up to help cycle it.

How about two of three containers? Or better yet take two fo the fish back to the store and get more after you get the much larger tank. I know it will be sad to take them back but better then having all of them dead cause of bad water.

Are you doing huge (at least 90%) water changes every day? Cause that is what you well need to do if you don't take two back.

Would it be okay to get like a 1200 L/H filter running on that wee tank at the moment - wouldn't the current be too much? I'm currently searching for 10/20gal rubbermaid-type containers to keep the fish in... had them for about a year now. They used to be in a 3 gallon tank (horrible horrible horrible :( ).

Being a student and moving about a lot, I'm waiting for a year or so until I get an 80-gal tank, just need a way to make these goldies happy in the meantime. Believe me, I know the tank's too small - tried to *give* one back to my LFS, said no??? So just need to sort them out with okay-sized containers for the meanwhile. The fry could maybe go in my 12 litre until he's a little bigger, I have spare filters/media.

I do about 40% water changes everyday, testing w/ API (all okay). Want to get a very high-rated filter to keep that water as clean as possible. If I do get containers I have about 3 other filters rated between 30-100gal/h, and could get some more. Just need help finding those darn containers :/

Since you are not going to get the proper size tank for so long you really need to rehome 2 of them. Call around to the local pet shops. Try mom and pop type store. Find someone that has a pond. Run an ad. Anything just to get them out of that tiny tank. They are already stunnted I am sure cause they should be way to big for that tank already.

Or better yet rehome all of them and go for some tropicals for that tank till you have room for a nice godlfish tank.

You can do things to a larger filter to slow it down but if they have any size at all they should be fine. And you really need the turn over to help with the bio load. Even if you were properly stocked you would still need 100gph filter.