A Tank Full Of Femme Fatales

number20121

Last night Orange Fishie wanted to let me know that he too is a she, having some whitish clear stuff hanging out of her vent that looked slightly zigzaggy. So I fished Orange Fishie out of the tank shortly after midnight (I was working until 11:30pm) and checked the vent, to find that this fish indeed has a well developed knob. It just doesn't stick out as much as the ones of the other girls, so from the side it wasn't visibile, and as a comet she moves around too much to be able to just get a good look at it while she is swimming.

I always thought she is was boy, but now this explains why she didn't get breeding stars.

But now my question is: all my goldfish seem to be female. Really all of them have a more or less visible knob, even tiny Chibi. Can this be a problem eventually, not having a male fish around? I don't want them all to end up being egg bound or so.

Or will the lack of a male keep the girls from being too interested in breeding and I don't even need to worry about them getting egg bound?

IF a fish gets egg bound, how can you tell and what can you do?

Bummer. I thought there was a way to massage them or so. I thought I read something like that some while ago somewhere.

Maybe when I get the big tank I should intentionally look to add a male fish then? Would this reduce the risk of getting egg bound?

I lost two females to egg binding. I had a male in the tank. Didn't seem to help. Also yes you can massage or squeze them but does more damage then helps from everything I read. A little salt and clean water is your best bet and hope they pass them or assorb them with no problems.

I have two females now in my tank with three males but Foster the commet is only here till spring/early summer at the latest I hope.

Gotcha. I have seen Hugo reabsorb eggs twice, and it seems like Orange Fishie did the same last night. I guess I will just have to hope for the best then. :-/

And I really don't understand how out of six goldfish I picked six femmes. Well, I picked only 3 of them, the other 3 are just fished out by the LFS employee when I told them back then that I want two of the comets, two of the shubunkins and two moors. Although only one each survived my starting-out-all-wrong-disaster.

Girls are tough :D

EDIT: BuggyBear: I bet they'd love hanging out with my six beauties. All my girls look different, I'm sure the boys will be able to find the right girl for them.

My fish tank looks like the home of a generic girl band LOL

Sporty Fish, Posh Fish, Baby Fish, Ginger Fish,....etc OMG NO lol

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

why not just get them a nice boy?

egg bound, if that happens you will see severe swelling on one side and death normally follows shortly.

pictured is a female oranda egg bound one hur before death. She suddenly swelled up and that was it. one ovary ( note only one side is swollen) was blocked and then ruputured.

IMG_3203.jpg

I have read that following the natural 'temperature' cycle can help. I also have mostly girls :( I was thinking of trying to slowly drop the temp this winter (and feed less) and then raise it once spring arrives. I also read that it is always good to have a clear - 'fat' and 'thin' time for fish. Feeding more in warmer months+ more protein, and more veggies in winter.

Thanks for the tips Federica! Temperature I can't really change. I live in the south, so in summer the tank temperature goes up to about 88 since I got no AC. Not always that warm, but up to 84 a lot. I'm helping it with a fan blowing at the tanks and keeping the lids open a bit. Can't do that too much because of the cats.

In winter the temperature drops to about 66 I think, as the water is a bit colder than room temperature.

So in winter I should replace like what, half of the food with fresh veggies, and the other half pellets, and in summer less veggies, or how? I gotta look this up.

And yes, mikroll, when I got a larger tank I will definitely look for a nice big boy for my girls.

feeding= hi protien in warmer weather and low protien (greens) in cool water. My goldfish have no heat so they just follow the weather inside is house temps and outside is Winter ... But if you see what my fish eat you wuld scream and the others wuld surely stone me.

lol Now I'm curious, you can pm me. I wont judge you lol

sorry Fang but you know the crazy rules here , no PM , for two years or 200 posts or something like that i think, but you can send me e mail for info or look here

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/mikroll/calico%20oranda/?action=view&current=DSCN2590.jpg

and here ha ha

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/mikroll/vari/?action=view&current=DSCN6363.jpg

also spinach, and cabbage and spirulaina pellets,+ lemons are well recieved.