Plan: Nano Reef

Okey so I am starting this thread to be a little organized in the process of: planning.

The only store that sells these type of these (with affordable prices), is 5hrs away, in Germany. We will be going there in a couple of weeks to visit my boyfriend's grandparents. So that is my shot at getting EVERYTHING I need. No going back anytime soon.

1. Possibilities of tanks.

7Gal Marine Kit

8Gal Maine Kit

So far these are the 2 smallest tank kits I found. The smaller ones are mostly for freshwater, and I don't want to have to start looking for replacement filter, lights etc. :doh11: One has a skimmer attached to the filter. Is this necessary?

As other option would be to just get a glass tank like I have for my bettas (4Gal) and buy the light etc separate. Might check which way is cheaper/ and easier.

2. As water pump I found the Koralia ones. What power do I need? Nano 900 (900l/g), Nano 1.600 (1600l/h), Evolution 2800 (2800l/h)

(I understand this is a good brand? There are plenty of other pumps but I am a little lost :rofl The others are way more expensive!)

as an aside - OMG SOME LIGHTS ARE 3000dollars for large marine tanks!!!!!!

3. Pump for salt mixing - must it be a specific power? I have a little eheim one I use for my UV Sterilizer, would such a thing be ok?

4. Must order API Salt Water Test Kit

5. Must find live sand and rock. How much per liter/or gallon, of each do I need? Any special type? They seem to also sell 'coral sand'?

6. Must find rock pieces for filter.

7. Salt Mix, I will just ask which best one they have.

8. Heater, if not included in kit.

Okey that is it for now.

:iwill

Honestly till you get the hang of fresh water and your fish stop getting sick I would not start a salt water they are even harder to do then freshwater fish. But it is always nice to dream. I price saltwater stuff form time to time for my 6 gallon jbj but I know it well never happen.

I completely agree with Hidr, I've looked at saltwater so many times in the last year and ruled it out because of the amount of time and money it takes. I definitely would not even think of attempting in your position with QT tanks and uncycled filters all over the place. The saltwater hobby is not going anywhere, you will be able to start it any time you want and I really really feel you need your freshwater tanks to be stable and finished, closed system for a few months before you even think about looking into something else. Seriously, don't do it now. You can do it in a few months time, it'll be a good excuse to go visit your bf's grandma. I am seriously concerned that you are taking on far too much at once and it is all going to crash and end up in a very expensive heart-breaking disaster. Please hun, don't do this now. By all means look into it, research it, look on forums etc, but please don't buy anything. Reef tanks need a lot of research, you do not have any room to make mistakes and jumping straight into it is not the way to do it. I recommend you start by buying a copy of 'The Conscientious Marine Aquarist' and go from there, take a few months reading so you don't need to ask questions of people, you'll know enough to make your own decisions. Reef tanks are like freshwater in that everyone has different opinions on the best setup but what works for something might not work for you. You need to know what you want, what your water's like, what parameters of equipment you need for the tank you want and many other things. The saltwater hobby is not something that can be hurried and barging straight in because you happen to have the chance to buy stuff in a few weeks is not the way to go about it. It's going to take several trips anyway, you need the equipment, then the salt and water parameter kits and supplements, then the live rock and sand and that can take months to cycle before you can buy anything for it.

I want to set up a saltwater tank myself, but I won't do it until I've been working a while and know I'm settled. Why not wait about 18 months and we can dip our toes into the tidepools together? Learning is more fun with a buddy :)

I was talking about it with the boyfriend and we came up with the same idea! We might just wait because we are moving sometime next summer. I am not necessarily worried about the move, I could even tear it all down. But if it is going to take me so long to set it up, to then just be able to enjoy it a short while before tearing it down, it would be a little sad.

I will definitely still do the research now anyways, so I am prepared whenever I will start it. :) My major dream is still to be able to set it up in my baby BiOrb, maybe by summer I will have found a way to do that.

Well if you do decide to go on with this plan later on I hope you'll share it with us! I agree that moving a reef tank is no fun.