Wacky Behavior While Cycling?

Lola_Granola

It's day #9 of Herman's tank/tub cycle and I've noticed his behavior is rather off. He's afraid of us now when he used to almost pop out of the water from excitement from a visit. He's tossing the gravel out of the cup the plant is in (the tub is otherwise bare) somehow managing to knock a marble out from under the plant in the gravel. Might this have to do with the chemical changes that are afoot in the water/filter? (This is my first cycle as his previous tank was so tiny, I did almost 100% water changes daily until I got the bigger tub/tank.)

Parameters as follows:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0.25

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.8 (KH 100)

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6 (KH 80)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops

[*]Water temperature? 70

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15 gallon tank/tub Day #9

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Whisper 30 with small handful of coral pieces added

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Daily, enough to keep NH3 @ .25 during cycle (usually 30 - 50%) with water that's conditioned, temp/pH matched and aged for 24 hours

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? One, about 2 1/2 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice daily (sparingly): alternating with sinking pellets, blood worms, peas, algae discs (small pieces)

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? As above

I know I need to keep the NH3 at or below 0.25 as the tub/tank temp stays around 70 degrees F as per the NH3 chart so that's what I've been aiming for.

Thanks in advance you guys!

It's day #9 of Herman's tank/tub cycle and I've noticed his behavior is rather off. He's afraid of us now when he used to almost pop out of the water from excitement from a visit. He's tossing the gravel out of the cup the plant is in (the tub is otherwise bare) somehow managing to knock a marble out from under the plant in the gravel. Might this have to do with the chemical changes that are afoot in the water/filter? (This is my first cycle as his previous tank was so tiny, I did almost 100% water changes daily until I got the bigger tub/tank.)

Parameters as follows:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0.25

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Water temperature? 70

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15 gallon tank/tub Day #9

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Whisper 30 with small handful of coral pieces added

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Daily, enough to keep NH3 @ .25 during cycle (usually 30 - 50%) with water that's conditioned, temp/pH matched and aged for 24 hours

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice daily (sparingly): alternating with sinking pellets, blood worms, peas, algae discs (small pieces)

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

I know I need to keep the NH3 at or below 0.25 as the tub/tank temp stays around 70 degrees F as per the NH3 chart so that's what I've been aiming for.

Your water params look fine.

You can do 50% water changes every other day until it cycles

You will be safe because prime will bind the ammonia for 48 hours

How much patience do you have? Since you aren't showing Nitrites or Nitrates yet, you are very early in the cycle. So maybe you can do a fishless cycle in your new tank? Does that tank have a filter as well? I totally prefer fishless cycles - I also feel that you get real strong cycles like that. My tank cycled 4ppm ammonia in 6-12 hrs. I added in 6 fish (one at a time) and it has been rock solid. This way you would also avoid stressing little Herman?

Thanks you guys!

Thanks for checking my params Garibaldi. :)

I was afraid that he might be stressing a bit.

Frederica, I am planning on a fishless cycle for our new tank. I've already been prepping Little Breeches (and myself) for the wait. I've got both the tank stand and the filters (two 50 UC's) on order and intend to get started as soon as they come in. (Can't wait!)

After seeing how even mild amounts of NH3 can alter his little behavior, I will for sure be going the fishless route.

Parameters as follows:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0.25

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Water temperature? 70

I just moved one of mine in a new tank because he was harassing the others, so the new tank is cycling and he's showing the same behavior as yours (even though the water test I just did showed 0 ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates). I have no idea how I'm going to change his water tomorrow when he's so scared! I don't want to stress him out...

I hope Herman feels better soon :)

I just moved one of mine in a new tank because he was harassing the others, so the new tank is cycling and he's showing the same behavior as yours (even though the water test I just did showed 0 ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates). I have no idea how I'm going to change his water tomorrow when he's so scared! I don't want to stress him out...

I hope Herman feels better soon :)

So glad to hear this is a finding others are seeing with the cycle, hope your little friend feels better as well!

good luck with your new fishless cycle lola.. and i hope herman feels better soon!.

Thanks Stakos! I'm looking forward to learning and doing things right from the beginning this time!